JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The neighbors have been out calling and video taping shooting song dogs for the last few weeks using a Foxpro call. They're putting them together on a Youtube channel called Northwest Wild and Free.

Saturday on Noble's 3rd set a nice cat came in, took a bit to track him down after the hit but they got him. This was out of the Mist area. Part 3 of the video where they finally find it is pretty cool.

27657140_10211234713640520_673662608603908508_n.jpg
27973533_10211234713480516_3266975884495575670_n.jpg

Last Edited:
It's getting more and more common to see them, hear about a lot of sightings locally. I've seen 2 around the property and found a fawn kill 1/2 covered up a few years back. It's kind of fun knowing they're around, keeps ya on the look out. The coyotes and coons cause a heck of a lot more trouble than the cats do.

Congrats to him! Most guys might go their whole lives without even seeing one.

Yeah, that kid is the epitome of a hunter, saw him getting ready this morning when I dropped the kids off at the Mist school. Super nice kid too, has a lot of fun, real humble and quiet but has a great sense of humor. He lives and breathes the woods. Filled all his tags in '17 and then was happy as heck to help get friends and family get on animals. He has 2 brothers and 2 sisters plus dad, they all hunt. I think they put 4 elk in the freezer this year and 5 bucks, they earned everyone of them too.

Last Edited:
What a great story. Sounds like an incredible family too. A question for you, if you know? Was this a fluke? I wouldn't have thought we'd have huntable numbers of cougar in that area? Too many people....between all the roads, traffic, and many cities surrounding the area. And, if you know, are there more cats in, say, the central coastal range compared to up here? I'm only asking because we spend some time every year in the Florence area. I've heard quite a few stories of cougars in those parts. We even saw one up close when we were bass fishing on morning just after first light. The cat came down through heavy brush for a drink, maybe 25 yards from us.

What a great story. Sounds like an incredible family too. A question for you, if you know? Was this a fluke? I wouldn't have thought we'd have huntable numbers of cougar in that area? Too many people....between all the roads, traffic, and many cities surrounding the area. And, if you know, are there more cats in, say, the central coastal range compared to up here? I'm only asking because we spend some time every year in the Florence area. I've heard quite a few stories of cougars in those parts. We even saw one up close when we were bass fishing on morning just after first light. The cat came down through heavy brush for a drink, maybe 25 yards from us.

I am between Scholls and Newberg - six miles to one, half a dozen to the other. There are cougars and bears up here on the mountain. Not sure how many, but they are here.

What I didn't believe was that there were elk up here, but several people tell me there are, and I was just down at the bottom of my woods and saw what was either cow elk tracks or monster deer tracks. The former I think - deer do not get that big here.

It was sort of a fluke in that the cat came in so readily to the call. They have vid of a bobcat coming in too, they didn't shoot it. Check out their youtube channel for the full run down on the hunt. Part 3 w/the recovery is pretty exciting. DFW issued him another tag (for $16), quotas aren't met yet so he can try for another one, that's something I wasn't aware of. Cat numbers are on the increase, most are killed incidentally by elk, deer or bear hunters. Hounds used to keep the numbers more in check. I don't really see them as a problem, people get a little excited when they see them, especially near homes. The ones that are problems are usually older or injured ones that can't hunt successfully, if they have an opportunity they will look for smaller livestock or cats and dogs. Like mentioned before coyotes and coons in general cause more havoc on small livestock and pets than do cats. Cats are extremely secretive, like bears, they don't want to be seen but they're out there. It's always a good idea to be aware of what predators are around and be prepared for an encounter. I've never personally heard of a cat standing up to anyone but if they can jump you from behind they might, maybe, if everything's going their way that day and they're really, really hungry.

That kids willing to put more time in that most anyone I know, he's still young and single and taking advantage of it. The fact he can hunt out his back door doesn't hurt either.

Last Edited:
Saw one near the cliff corners in Natal last year, I've seen 2 on my place over 21 years and one across the river. These guys have one on camera just up Eastman (could be the same one on my place). This one was on top of Mist Mt. I'm not sure what their range is but being such dense woods and with plenty of blacktails, elk calves and bunnies around I imagine the population is relatively healthy.

I know there out there and just like most of the others Post on the Thread don't normally see them . Called Coyote at night around local counties for years . I don't shoot cats, but Seen lots of Bobcat .
Only one time I ever had a Cougar called-in over in Yamhill area .
Was watching and calling next to herd of sheep and saw it on Therm. when scanning . It is creepy and gives me the willies the smoothness it just glides threw the foliage. Was slow moving in and around 50 or 60 yards at the closest, then it moved out and was gone .

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top