JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My friends and I were checking out a new shooting location past Sultan (ok'ed by the Snohomish County Sheriff and DNR) to test and zero our AR's. While we were there, 3 Russian guys rolled up on us. They obviously saw our cars. Brought with them a pistol and 2 large bags of bottles. One, we though it was messed up. Two, we were already set up in this small flat area, so there wasn't enough room for two groups of shooters. Actually, we would've if they didn't bring their bags of bottles. We pretty much told them we weren't going to squeeze in nor were we going to shoot over them while they shot bottles. We suggested they try other spots we saw on our drive up. They deliberated amongst themselves and after a few minutes they left.

So my question is, could I and should I have done something about them? For example, calling the Sheriff, getting their license plate to report, etc.

My friends and I were checking out a new shooting location past Sultan (ok'ed by the Snohomish County Sheriff and DNR) to test and zero our AR's. While we were there, 3 Russian guys rolled up on us. They obviously saw our cars. Brought with them a pistol and 2 large bags of bottles. One, we though it was messed up. Two, we were already set up in this small flat area, so there wasn't enough room for two groups of shooters. Actually, we would've if they didn't bring their bags of bottles. We pretty much told them we weren't going to squeeze in nor were we going to shoot over them while they shot bottles. We suggested they try other spots we saw on our drive up. They deliberated amongst themselves and after a few minutes they left.

So my question is, could I and should I have done something about them? For example, calling the Sheriff, getting their license plate to report, etc.

I dont think there was much you could have done.
Sheriffs dont mind if you're shooting bottles... as long as you dont leave the debris behind when you go.

It was inconsiderate of them to interject themselves into your outing. You did the right thing by laying down the law, and they did the right thing by leaving.

I dont see what you would have hoped to accomplish by reporting them to the Sheriff. Is shooting bottles illegal in WA? I dont believe the broke any laws. As far as I know, calling the sheriff on someone because they annoyed you is illegal in and of itself.

When I see people shooting bottles or any other kind of refuse I just politely inform them that shooting and leaving refuse is what gets outdoor shooting areas shut down in the long run. If they understand then great, if they don't then there's not much else you can do really. Unless your extremely vigilant it's hard to get every shard of glass or whatever refuse your shooting picked up and if you can't or aren't willing to leave it the way you found it or cleaner then you shouldn't be shooting there.

Sheriffs dont mind if you're shooting bottles... as long as you dont leave the debris behind when you go.

Shoot a single bottle. Pick up all the glass. Try it.
Guess how long it'll take me to walk over and find some glass? Not long.
Now wait for some carload of goofballs to show up with a sack of bottles and see how much they pick up.

Maybe the Sheriff does or doesn't mind, but anyone who wants to keep shooting areas clean should know better. Shooting glass is bad form if it's not on your own property.

I don't know if calling the Sheriff might have done any good, and it might even be bad if the department feels like they're getting nuisance calls. Maybe the best option is to keep a few extra plastic or metal bottles/targets in the car and offer those to people in trade for their glass. This places the burden onto the wrong person for sure, but it also sounds better than nothing at all.

Shoot a single bottle. Pick up all the glass. Try it.
Guess how long it'll take me to walk over and find some glass? Not long.

Been there, done that, and no, you wouldnt find any glass or plastic when I'm done.

Again, you cant call the cops because you ASSume that they arent going to pick up after themselves or because they were rude.

You are simply S.O.L.

Maybe the best option is to keep a few extra plastic or metal bottles/targets in the car and offer those to people in trade for their glass.

The op never said they were glass bottles.
More ASSuming ;)

I think its a pretty safe assumption that the "bag of bottles" are glass bottles. I maybe wrong.

My actual concerns, like other people here are. Inconsiderate shooters and people who will not clean up after themselves. We all have gone to a public shooting area and found out we were not the the first ones there. The right thing to do is talk to your fellow shooters and see if you can work something out. If you can, cool! If not, cool! You can either wait or move on.

Leaving trash, cans, glass or whatever ruins it for the rest of us as we all know. I have no problem explaining my concerns to people who do not feel as strongly about keeping our shooting areas open and as clean as we do.

Once everyone is on the same page there hasn't been a problem.

Lefty.

Whenever I take my sons out shooting we stop at the store and pick up 5 dozen eggs and a couple of 10lb bags of potatos. Biodegradeable and no mess to clean up. Ever see what a .17 HMR does to a potato or an egg ? Makes for some fine mashed potato's and scrambled eggs ! :s0155:

Whenever I take my sons out shooting we stop at the store and pick up 5 dozen eggs and a couple of 10lb bags of potatos. Biodegradeable and no mess to clean up. Ever see what a .17 HMR does to a potato or an egg ? Makes for some fine mashed potato's and scrambled eggs ! :s0155:

Yep! I'm right there with you, I shoot old fruit that was just going to get thrown out anyway or targets which of course I always pack out with me once I'm done. Glass bottles are fun but when it comes to picking them up it can be tricky to find it all and not cut yourself at the same time. If everybody just packed out what they took up plus a little extra it would go a long way.

P.S. Cantaloupe are extremely fun to shoot hollowpoints at! Haven't tried potatoes yet though...

I remember the late 70s or maybe early 80s not sure when but English Pit was a garbage haven for shooting. We would go there and shoot paper but I could find records, plactic bottles and glass lying all around.

I have been to a few outdoor areas and the mess that you find is just wrong! I wish that people would think about what they are doing before they do it.

And as far as the russian people well dont get me going. They make good ammo and guns but lets just leave it at that:s0155:

Is shooting bottles illegal in WA? I dont believe the broke any laws.
It sounds like this might have been on WA DNR land. If so, yes, it is illegal:

WAC 332-52-145 Firearms and target shooting.

(4) What may be used as a target?

(a) Items that are commercially manufactured for the specific purpose of target shooting or similar targets privately manufactured by the person(s) engaging in target shooting that are consistent with this section.

(b) Unauthorized targets include but are not limited to:

(i) Natural features, except earthen berms or banks used as backstops for target shooting;

(ii) Vegetation;

(iii) Structures;

(iv) Gates;

(v) Vehicles;

(vi) Signs;

(vii) Other department improvements;

(viii) Appliances;

(ix) Furniture;

(x) Glass;

(xi) Privately owned or occupied structures;

(xii) Pets, service animals or livestock;

(xiii) Wildlife;

(xiv) Explosive and incendiary items;

(xv) Garbage of any kind.

Persons shall not target shoot at unauthorized targets.

(7) Who is responsible for disposing of spent items resulting from target shooting? Persons who target shoot shall dispose of spent items and remove all shell casings, targets, ammunition packaging, or target fragments resulting from their activity, with the exception of biodegradable clay targets. Failure to remove any such debris is prohibited.

(8) Any violation of this section is a misdemeanor except a violation of subsection (7) of this section is an infraction under chapter 7.84 RCW.

While shooting "food" (melons, etc.) is great fun, it might violate the foregoing. Leaving even food debris may result in complaints and eventual closure to shooting, so my own opinion is that on public land, we should stick to shooting targets as described in 4(a) above.

Remember as a kid...That first firecracker you were allowed to light? Similar to your first 223 round that lights off that red labeled plastic jar of Tenerite! Can't wait to do that again. (And yes we picked up the lid and what was left of the jar.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top