JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I got my new rifle and have been looking at optics and I'm not really into the BDC cause I was raised old fashioned and know how to hold on an animal. I saw leupold has a CDS and I feel like it's the same as the BDC but now you have to send your scope in to ha e them calibrate your scope to your load. So my question is does anyone use it? Or are you just happy to pay the extra dollars just to have it lol

I have one special ordered for my mark 4 scope. Mine is setup starting at 600. ( my scope zero ). Then out to 1200. Had to fill out a form online. Bullet weight altitude. Tempature barrel twist. Etc. I recall it was under $ 100. ?
EDIT ....
I didnt have to send my scope in,, they just took all the information and made a turrent.and sent it to me, to replace my stock turrent.
theres enough hash marks in the reticle that i just use hold overs up to 600 yards.
i ( try ) to keep a good dope book when ever i get the chance to go out.( hey shooting buddy,, you know who you are!... hint....hint...hint...) the reticle cross hairs are pretty darn thin compared to other scopes, probably not so bueno in low light conditions. (unless you are a high dollar baller who can afford lit reticle. LOL )

Last Edited:
I had 2 until 1 took a crap on me. It only took a few times to the range before it was totally useless. The scopes i had were the VX3 3.5-10×40. The shame of it was, the glass was nice and the scope was nice and light, not overly large and looked great on my hunting rifles. After sending 1 back to leupold for repair, i sold the other one due to lack of trust. Now, if im looking for a good scope that ill be twisting turrets on, ill buy a SWFA SS.

I had 2 until 1 took a crap on me. It only took a few times to the range before it was totally useless. The scopes i had were the VX3 3.5-10×40. The shame of it was, the glass was nice and the scope was nice and light, not overly large and looked great on my hunting rifles. After sending 1 back to leupold for repair, i sold the other one due to lack of trust. Now, if im looking for a good scope that ill be twisting turrets on, ill buy a SWFA SS.
As a hunting rifle I just dont see time to twist anything. Most times its point and shoot. Bdc in my mind almost makes more since but a lot of hunters dont even try there rifles out like that to really get used to how it will help.

+1 SWFA. mil-dot, or mil-rad,thick cross hairs and tough enough to take off your scope and use to beat down a wolf pack attack, and still maintain zero.

Guess it depends on your hunting style and/or the terrain you hunt. I have a few of the CDS scopes and they work 100% of the time. Killed a nice Antelope in Wyoming back in 2010 with one of the first CDS scopes I bought. Connected at 504 yards, game over, no muss no fuss!

I use both the Swaro ballistic turret(similar to cds) and ballistic reticles on other rifles. Both are great tools if you need to shoot beyond 300-400 yds. I have heard nothing but good from the Leupold cds system. Learn it, dial it in to your loads, prove it out to ranges you expect to shoot and don't look back. I am a fan but to each their own.

I dont know I didn't know the torrent came off

First off, I blame the rum for my bad spelling :)

Second, you don't need to send in your scope unless your scope does not have CDS dials on it and you want them to upgrade the adjustments. If you have a scope with CDS dials on it there is a form on their website, you can call them or email them for more info on how to get the dials.

First off, I blame the rum for my bad spelling :)

Second, you don't need to send in your scope unless your scope does not have CDS dials on it and you want them to upgrade the adjustments. If you have a scope with CDS dials on it there is a form on their website, you can call them or email them for more info on how to get the dials.
Yeah I really had no clue about them until I actually saw a video which I should have done in the first place. But hey can't always think smart. Right!? But now I see how they work I'm kinda interested to try it out.

Here is my thought on it.

CDS systems are for SFP scopes, to try and get them to act like a FFP scope.
The fundamental way a CDS they system works is like this:
You tell them the starting velocity, bullet (assumes a single BC, which is typically based off a single G1), an elevation, and atmospheric conditions; or they get assumed.
Soooooo, are you ever going to hunt in a different set of weather conditions? Are you ever going to reach that BC? Are you positive that bullet never changes?

If you are a general hunter, who deals with 300 yard shots, the potential error is meaningless (other than the exorbitant price). If you may want to go hunting up in the Rockies, or in Africa, or get into long range, your error can be a serious issue.
Just buy a FFP and never pay for estimated corrections again.

Cheers

I have a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 with the Firedot, standard duplex reticle. It's a great scope, but I honestly wish it didn't have the CDS. I didn't bother to have Leupold make a special dial for me, I just learned what number I need to turn to for a specific distance. I used it a bunch at the Appleseed KD events and it worked very well. However the gun it's on is my hunting rifle and when I'm hunting in thick brush I've had the turret get spun a little. That requires a little tape "band-aid". It would be a rare occurrence where I had the opportunity or need to dial a scope up when chasing deer or elk.
Long range target? Yes for CDS.
Hunting? Not so much.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews