JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Did anyone else know that the Firestar M40 is right-handed only? No wonder Star went out of business, they pissed us left-handers off! ;)
I'd always had issues getting the trigger to "reset" between each shot. I would end up pulling it several times before it actually engaged. Makes for a bad shot group :s0114:

Had a buddy try it out this last weekend....six rounds rapid-fire with no hitch. At first I thought the gun and I had a personality conflict. Then I realized that my friend is right handed. I tried firing it right handed to test my hypothesis...worked like a charm

Am I the first one to discover this?

Obama is left handed, perhaps he can help.
I noticed that today too. I thought to myself, no wonder he does not like firearms. He is a lefty. He probably just never found a good left hand oriented firearm. We should all chip in and get him a nice left handed shotgun. :)

I noticed that today too. I thought to myself, no wonder he does not like firearms. He is a lefty. He probably just never found a good left hand oriented firearm. We should all chip in and get him a nice left handed shotgun. :)

SHOTGUN??? A Stag Arms lefty AR would be a better choice. Maybe then he
would think twice about banning them.

There are lots of theoretical righty-only firearms. I've always appreciated Sig Sauer handguns and have often considered a P220 or P225 as an excellent general purpose carry piece... but being a lefty, they put me at a ease of operation disadvantage compared to more "lefty friendly" handguns like the 1911, FN HP and the HK P7 series.

For a play or target gun, controls aren't that relevant. For a personal carry gun, if you can't be smooth, quick and confident about the controls, it's the wrong gun for you.
Too bad there are so many good guns that don't lend themselves well to left handed use... but then again, ain't it great that there are so many that do.

C

Most semi's are inconvenient for we lefties, but I've never seen one that flat-out refused to work correctly. I still like my Star though. Talk about a cheap (but good) 1911 clone ^^

As Creeper mentioned, the Sig is about the only semi-auto I've found that isn't great for me being left handed; the controls are just too far rearward. In all reality though, you're not decocking in the middle of a gun fight or match, the use of the decocker is a "peacetime" event... I’m OK with it where it is (look at the Beretta for crying out loud, that decocker isn't convenient for anyone). The slide lock/release is a different issue. I carried a P220 for some time and was taught to always pull back on the slide and let go, not to use the lever on the side. So, the Sig isn't perfect for me, but I'd take (and carry) another in a heartbeat.

Only other gripe I have is that I have to add ambis to 1911s and that just adds to the cost.

Aside from that, I'm fine with just about everything out there; most guns work fine for lefties and I see no reason to buy left handed anything other than holsters.

Well, there is the ole M1 Garand, but that can be tricky for anybody trying to avoid the M1 thumb.

I just realized that I forgot to mention our theory as to why it didn't want to fire correctly... supposedly, pulling the trigger with your left causes the trigger to cant to the left a bit...why it has a hard time resetting, I have no idea...but when canted to the right, it was smooth.

I guess I should be asking this of our more experience shooters: Is it possible to get it fixed? Is it a design flaw, or an old-gun flaw?

ghanderson10 said:
...but I've never seen one that flat-out refused to work correctly.

My old man (okay, he's not THAT old) shoots better left-handed than most people I know shoot right handed :eek: (3" group one handed left handed at 25 feet is okay, right?)

I'm gonna have to put a lot of lead down range to get all caught up...

ch139 said:
Sounds like it's not a well made gun if changing trigger fingers causes it to not work correctly.

I'd prefer to say "not well designed" vs. "not well made"...but you're probably right, Ch139 :(

It shoots just fine right fingered, but I guess all the Nationalists were lefties.

Being left handed is the reason I bought the S&W M&P - not quite fully ambidextrous, since the mag release is one side or the other, but it is reversible. That and it has the slide release on both sides. It was either that or a p2000 and $$ is ALWAYS a factor.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top