JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know this is a simple question, but I seem to be missing a piece. My shell holder doesn't have a knub that seems to screw into the bottom of the holder. Clear threads on the holder. What am I missing? Thank you.

20210508_141602.jpg 20210508_141554.jpg

It's already been said, but that is a Lee shell holder for trimming brass using Lee's brass case trimming system not for reloading cartridges. And nobody makes an attachment to use it for reloading cartridges.
Thank you. I think I figured out I need the lee precision shell holder r4.

The Lee #4 isn't the best fit for .223, if that's what you're working on. I think many years ago, Lee was trying to get as many cartridges to fit the same shell holder as possible. So they came up with the #4, which fits .32 S&W Long (having since added .32 H&R Mag and .327 Fed Mag), but they also use it to fit .223 Rem. The bases of the two different cartridges are not the same. The result is a not very good fit for .223. Now, there are oodles more people loading .223 than .32 revolver cartridges but they stick with the #4 for the former. Get the RCBS #10 if you can.

Lee has three different style shell holders. The "Universal" which is like the other brands and works on presses. Then they make proprietary shell holders for their hand priming tools. And of course they also make the shell holders that work only on their trimmer sets. Good thing these are all relatively inexpensive. Not like buying Corbin or L.E. Wilson stuff.

I like Lee hand priming tools and the bench priming tool. But my biggest complaint is the #4 shell holder for them.

The Lee #4 isn't the best fit for .223, if that's what you're working on. I think many years ago, Lee was trying to get as many cartridges to fit the same shell holder as possible. So they came up with the #4, which fits .32 S&W Long (having since added .32 H&R Mag and .327 Fed Mag), but they also use it to fit .223 Rem. The bases of the two different cartridges are not the same. The result is a not very good fit for .223. Now, there are oodles more people loading .223 than .32 revolver cartridges but they stick with the #4 for the former. Get the RCBS #10 if you can.

Lee has three different style shell holders. The "Universal" which is like the other brands and works on presses. Then they make proprietary shell holders for their hand priming tools. And of course they also make the shell holders that work only on their trimmer sets. Good thing these are all relatively inexpensive. Not like buying Corbin or L.E. Wilson stuff.

I like Lee hand priming tools and the bench priming tool. But my biggest complaint is the #4 shell holder for them.
Remember not having the correct Lee shell holder for priming once. A few minuets with a die grinder cutting the mounting extension off a RCBS shell holder and I had a proper "Lee" shell holder.
I guess I could have waited for the stores to be open, but instant gratification (and the excuse to modify something) is so much more fun...

A long shot, but watch for estate sales, eBay etc. selling 1960s-1970s Herter's shell holders. Extremely accurate dimensions. Extremely hard heat treating. Probably 60 Rockwell C. Can be broken, but will not wear out.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top