JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am new to this forum and in fact, am a Southerner living down in Mobile, Alabama but a friend on another forum recommended this would be a good place to get a bit information about a project I want to under-take. I have a .45-70 in a double rifle, a Henry Golden Boy, and a Savage 219B line-launching gun but really lie a bolt-gun in that caliber. I cast a lot of 500 gr slugs a while back for a .45-120 I had but decided that was just too much powder. I bought a decent Lee-enfield SMLE Mk1 commercial model today and am thinking about rebarrelling for .45-70. I understand magazines can be modified for the round and the bolt-face doesn't require change, from what I've read on a couple of gun smithing forums. Has anyone here made this particular conversion? There was one for sale on Gunbroker last week in Utah but I got sniped and let it get away. Thanks in advance.

Haven't done that one. Did a Siamese Mauser, but feeding can be tail-chasing obnoxious.
I know Gibbs did this conversion years ago on the SMLE. The rim diameter on the .303 is .540, while the .45/70 is .608". So a little opening seems necessary, but it's possible I'm missing something. I would assume the magazine alteration would be to the follower.

I look forward to watching your progress!

I was reading about the Gibbs conversions, Navy was selling some mags they made for them. Thought about using one of my 98Ks but found the enfield today at a show for pretty cheap and tight and somebody will want those mausers one of these days just for the nazi markings.

Siamese Mausers were the common rifle for this conversion but I have seen P14 Enfields done in 45-70. I have one done in 458 Win Mag in a 20" Manlicher carbine.

I was reading about the Gibbs conversions, Navy was selling some mags they made for them. Thought about using one of my 98Ks but found the enfield today at a show for pretty cheap and tight and somebody will want those mausers one of these days just for the nazi markings.

The Siamese Mauser is a bit different than the 98k. It already used a rimmed cartridge, so the magazine and bolt face were already set up for it. The feed rails need massaging to get the feed just right. I have not seen someone take a standard 98 and convert it, although I'm sure it's possible.
If I were starting one today, I would likely go the SMLE route, same as you. There are plenty of butchered guns already out there to play with. A No. 1 mk. III would be my choice, because of the cleaner receiver.

There is a reasonably priced Siamese Mauser 45-70 conversion on Gunbroker right now. Things have become so expensive........just the cost of a custom rebarrel can be close to 1000.00 it would be cheaper to start with one that the hard work is done on and modify it to fit your needs.

When Gibbs was advertising their Quest 45-70 SMLE conversion I tried to buy one. Too bad I picked a crappy dealer and almost lost my deposit. After I waited on that dealer for a few months my hunger for one faded and it wasn't too much longer before Gibbs folded.
A Mauser action would be stronger than the SMLE, but it still would have been a potent woods gun.
If I tripped across one of those Quest carbines today, I'm sure I'd try to take it home.

I might just buy that one on GB, it looks like a very nice rifle but I'll probably still try this conversion because , well I sort of want to rechamber and barrel a Lee-enfield. That's sort of the point of a hobby gunsmith that doesn't really hunt or need the the thing; you build it because it's there.

Another entertaining caliber to consider if you are wanting to play with the Enfield would be the .458 x 2 American. Another fun thumper caliber. Either way, playing with the SMLE is still a worthwhile pursuit.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top