JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Slightly used

Includes:
Full length sizing die
Bullet seating die
Factory crimp die
Dipper
#4 shell holder

I bought this die set to reform 223/5.56 brass into 300aac. This did not work out for me. When I wrote to Lee about my issues they responded with this

XXXXXXX,

The Lee 300AAC full length sizing die is designed to resize 300AAC cases to pre-fired dimensions. Lee rifle sizing dies do not size the fired case all the way back down to SAAMI minimum. Through experience Lee has found that the chambers of most guns are large enough and sizing the cases to minimum unnecessarily overworks the case and results in shortened case life. The 300AAC full length sizing die is often used to reform 223 or 556 cases to 300AAC cases. Results will vary when this is attempted because the Lee die is a sizing die and not a forming die. Forming dies have smaller dimensions to account for the increased spring back that is encountered when cases are formed. Forming die dimensions are at least at minimum SAAMI if not below. The amount of spring back also varies as a result of case wall thickness or hardness. So you will find that you may be able to reform some cases satisfactorily with a Lee sizing die and others not at all.

Another factor that can come into play is the thickness of the case neck on reformed case. As you leave the neck area of the case and move into the shoulder and body side wall area the brass gradually thickens the closer to the case head you get. When you shorten the 223 or 556 case you begin to get into thicker metal and if it is too thick the loaded diameter of the cartridge neck can become too large and create chambering and live round ejection problems. Not to mention the possibility of dangerously high chamber pressures due to bullet pinch.

Here is the process that seems to work with the greatest degree of success if you wish to attempt to reform cases with your Lee sizing die. Trim the cases and after lubing with Lee Resizing Lube size the cases in the full length die with the decapper/expander rod removed. After this first sizing re-lube the cases and size them one more time with the decapper/expander rod installed. This seems to work for many but not all cases.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Peter
Customer Service

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway U
Hartford, WI 53027
phone: 262-673-3075
Maybe you have a wider chamber then me and I was just unlucky? The retailer I purchased these from was kind enough to refund me for them and told me to not even bother sending them back. So my luck wasn't all bad. They go for $35 new but as I can not guarantee they will size your brass, and lee wont back up that they will either, I wouldn't feel right selling them for that. You do get a seatng die, a crimp die, a dipper and a shell holder that I can promise will work great for you though, so $25 seems fair to me. The decaper nut on the sizer die does show some wear from when I pulled it off and put it back multiple times trying to find my issue but otherwise these are practically new.

Yours for $25 if you will meet in Beaverton
Or I can ship them in a small flat rate box for an additional $5.80.

or will trade for any of the below
Box of Speer 30cal 125gr tnt bullets
1lb h110,
1lb lil gun
1lb w296
1lb cfe223
would also consider other 30cal 125gr ballistic tip reloading bullets

Last Edited:
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top