JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Rathunter, I think they're worth it based upon the advice of those I trust - I have one on order. However, I can't give you a first-hand report yet. Good luck on your search. Your list of comparables is a good one as far as I know. It is basically the same list I used.

it's a name youre buying with larue.its tacticool and sounds expensive so must be sub moa at 2 miles away.

i shot my buddies and it was a cool rifle but not worth the extra cash imo.but then my pof 5.56 is the same story,or my other buddies lmt.
kac or noveske too are really not worth the money you pay for the name.my kids dpms was shooting just as good as the larue,my pof and the lmt with good ammo.
a spike lower vs a noveske lower will give you the same accuracy but there is $160 difference because it says noveske.
the parts inside are what makes the rifle.good trigger,good bolt,good barrel.
so no i cant justify buying the larue rifle,i do love their add ons though but the engraved name"larue tactical"costed you $1500 and didn't make the gun shoot any further.

Endless debate right here you are starting

So this topic comes up every 2 months now instead of daily,good

The answer I have arrived at for the expensive ,top tier ARs is if you are going to compete,shooting 1000 rounds a weekend,buy the high end stuff and if you are going to shoot 200 rounds a month buy whatever you want.
For us guys who shoot once a week ,but don't take the same guns each time,a cheaper AR will last forever.

Now for the
:s0093:

so no i cant justify buying the larue rifle,i do love their add ons though but the engraved name"larue tactical"costed you $1500 and didn't make the gun shoot any further.

You're right, the PredatAR does cost $1500 (or just under at $1495). Keep in mind that this includes a Geissele Two-Stage trigger, which on some lower-end guns would be extra (roughly $200). Something to factor-in.

I've been looking for and comparing high quality AR's for a while, (Noveske, KAC, LMT) pretty much made my mind up to go with a Noveske Recon. Happened to spot a Larue OBR, and inadvertently sipped some Larue Kool-aid.
Online they pretty much all get outstanding reviews, Noveske seems to always get the nod for best barrels, KAC outstanding battle rifle with an impressive bolt, LMT with the rugged MRP platform and Larue with incredible machining and customer service.
There seems to be some past tension between Larue and Noveske. I also noted some issues with forum posters as to the cost of the rifles and the attitudes of the business owners. Multiple times I noted suggestions of building your own high quality AR, many stated that you are only paying for the name; the rifles are not worth what they ask.
I am not military or law enforcement, I shoot for fun. I have fired Colts, Rock Rivers, Bushmasters and a couple of Whitley customs. I never had any problems with any of the rifles; cheap magazines though are a different matter.
I wanted to step up a level of quality and started looking. It's hard to explain but pick up a Noveske, Larue, KAC, LMT you can feel the difference. It's like comparing a Perazzi to a Red Label or a Pre 64' to a post 64'.
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the top line AR manufactures.
I did go with a Larue LT-15 OBR 16". It is one impressive rifle to hold, it is tight, with incredible machining and finish. So far I have only cleaned the barrel and function tested ten rounds.
I'll try to post a range report when the weather gets better and I can thoroughly test out the OBR.
By the way the next build will be a Noveske 6.8
Reacher

I bought one of the 18" OBR's when they first came out. I've bought and used several Larue products over the years, and have never had any issues with them. So when the OBR came out, it was worth a shot to see what they could co. I haven't been disappointed.

But, for about the same amount of coin, you are in the ball park with LWRC REPR, Noveske, Knight, etc. At that level, it's pretty much a coin toss, and nit-picking between little pros/cons. All are exceptional pieces - but should be, for the price.

That being said...for the same money - and assuming you have enough experience with building and fine-tuning one, you could probably build something that would run with any of them, and maybe even give a few of them a run for the money.

At that price point, it's more of a 'show' than 'go', as most of the peeps I have seen like to flash the fancy name, but never really enjoy shooting it, because of how much they paid for it. If that's the case, save a few $$'s by buying a DD, BCM, LMT, etc. OR...for that money, you could buy 2 maybe 3 S&W's, RRA's, DPMS, Bushies, etc. and run the hell out of them knowing that if something breaks, you can still afford to buy spare parts to get it running again, and be enjoying them a whole lot more than staring at a 'safe queen'.

the thing that really turns me off on lmt is the chrome lined barrels,the standard bolt and standard trigger that comes with the standard models.for that kind of money you better offer top notch parts of this importance.
the barrel and bolt are the most important parts and if you dont offer good ones then whats the $2500 price tag for?
noveske offers the best barrel but a magpul stock and grip and an average bcg so wheres the money in that?the name!
larue does use a good trigger and bcg but the barrel would go if i bought one for a noveske barrel.
the pof uses a great bcg and uses a np3 coating in the action that shows some quality and makes it worth the money as well as a timney trigger and rock creek barrel.(chromemolly vanadium machine gun rated)again noveske takes the cake here but only here.
the knights armament?well it's an all around well built rifle but since it has a big military contract your gonna pay big bucks for it
and the magazines run about $120each for 5.56 and $140each for a 308 so for that money you could use the best of the other manufacturers and make a better gun for less money.
and lwrc wont tell you on their website what material their barrels are made of just that it's 1:7 twist and cold hammer forged so im guessing chrome lined also which is good for high rate of fire but not so much for accuracy and way over priced for not adding a top notch trigger however they do use an excellent nitride coated bcg like pof does.
you really do have to look past the cool names (larue,noveske)and just pick the best each has to offer and build a better rifle than any of these have to offer or throw a new barrel,trigger,bcg in the garbage and get the good stuff for the rifle you like the name on.

If you built an AR you could be around that price maybe more.
I would say it's more than worth it for the quality internals your getting.

Personally, I don't believe that most of the parts are any different whether it's a $500 rifle or a $2000 rifle. The difference is usually in the trigger, barrel, and BCG.

If you pay $1500 for a quality AR you won't be disappointed. Although I have a $700 Delton Magpul edition that I love and has never had any hiccups.
The other few ARs I built myself and I spent $1200-$1400 on.

Anyone have a Larue rifle, OBR or Predator? (5.56)
Are they worth the asking price?
I've read a lot of good reports, let me know how yours works.
What should I compare it to? Noveske, LMT, KAC

Rathunter
PredatOBR line has a quick barrel changes system. I've only shot my friends PredatAR 5.56 and another friends OBR in 308. Both shoot around .5 moa with good ammo and under 1moa with cheap stuff.

My Colt CRP-18 and DD v7 both shot around .7 moa with good ammo, and at 1 moa with cheaper stuff.

I don't have a LaRue rifle but I have used a lot of their parts. Mark LaRue is a stand up guy. If you can't afford the LaRue get a BCM (I have one) and you'll be happy for life.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top