JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry for the delay....

I received the Glock 19 frame I have dedicated to my MechTech 9mm upper back from the gunsmith (in this case, LoneWolf) today and put it together and.....

It works!*

Safety on:

Safety off:

Some other views of the safety lever. You can see that the lever itself is a piece of bent metal, with the lateral/horizontal part plenty long enough to engage with your thumb without the upper getting in the way:

It works great!

*Except with the telescoping wire stock. I works as long as the stock is extended; here it is with the stock at the first notch, 14" LOP:

And here it is with the stock collapsed. You can see that the stock clears the safety when in the off position, but there is no way to collapse the telescoping wire stock with the safety on:

I rate it a complete success with the M4 or fixed stock and a qualified success with the telescoping wire stock. I'll probably chop my wire stock down so that I can have the safety on with the stock retracted.

Overall, it is a worthwhile addition!

IMG_20140707_172122_872_zpsc7c41ab5.jpg IMG_20140707_172131_441_zps1f6c4b9d.jpg IMG_20140707_172144_891_zps6cf244ff.jpg IMG_20140707_172154_883_zps6d3ea4cd.jpg IMG_20140707_172233_566_zps8064ab6e.jpg IMG_20140707_172244_397_zpsce68246e.jpg

Last Edited:
That is one clever safety, Mr. Modeler. I'd be afraid that some of that "Glock perfection" might leak out of I notched the frame, and besides, my folding front grip seems to work well enough as a trigger cover. I just have to remember to remove it before I detach the frame from the upper, or I might inadvertently have an AOW on my hands!

I took it out again last weekend, and burned through almost a hundred rounds without a misfeed; about half were JHP. A Glock 36 failed to feed one time that day on cheap aluminum-cased Blazer, but the Mech-Tech never hesitated. Amazingly, the red dot was dead-nuts on after being remounted to the rail, so it was a good day.

I guess with cars, women, and guns, if you get a good one be happy and count yourself lucky. I'm grateful every single day!

Another thing I've found with the Sub-2000, the barrel comes loose. I can grab the front sight and turn the barrel on mine. Have to send it back to Keltec to have the barrel pinned. Also, malfunctions can chew up the plastic receiver pretty good,,,:mad:

Another thing I've found with the Sub-2000, the barrel comes loose. I can grab the front sight and turn the barrel on mine. Have to send it back to Keltec to have the barrel pinned. Also, malfunctions can chew up the plastic receiver pretty good,,,:mad:

I've often wondered what the expected life is of modern guns, the kind that have come out in the last 10-15 years. How many rounds do you have through it?

I've often wondered what the expected life is of modern guns, the kind that have come out in the last 10-15 years. How many rounds do you have through it?

Unknown, bought used. Apparently somewhere along the way, they started pinning the barrels to fix the loose barrel problem. So mine is an older glued-on barrel.

Okay so keep this in mind, I bought this sub2000 used just because it took Glock mags. Something to play with.

Another problem I just came across. The stock pin that captures the recoil spring, gets beat on pretty good. The bolt tube was peened enough to where the bolt would not come out of the gun without a good beating. Now that I know the problem, a little sandpaper on the holes will fix it. Just another thing to look out for,,, :rolleyes:

I've often wondered what the expected life is of modern guns, the kind that have come out in the last 10-15 years.
You would have to qualify that question by breaking it down by manufacturer and materials used as opposed to just 'modern' guns from the last 10-15 years because some of the 'modern' guns from this time frame are excellent and will probably last a lifetime. My GP 100 and Henry .357 ? no doubt lifetime (and then some beyond me) BUT - (purely as an example) my 1st Gen S2K was beginning to show signs of wear after only several hundred rounds and I suspect would be ready for the scrap heap by it's 'expected' lifespan of 10K rounds - or much less. Some guns are simply 'novelties' (or more like toys without any real long-life expectancy) and I consider the S2K to be one of them.

@Modeler - just wanted to wake this thread up again and see how things are going with your MechTech CCU? I'm considering getting one next year and just wanted to get some more feedback on your experience since your last post.

Some guns are simply 'novelties' (or more like toys without any real long-life expectancy) and I consider the S2K to be one of them.

You may very well be right. Since I really like the CONCEPT of a S2K Gen2 as a home defense weapon, I would hope you're wrong. You know the country song:

"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."

I'm kind of hoping that, even if the S2K doesn't have a long life, maybe it is super-reliable during its early life? After all, I'd only need it to go bang reliably a few times at the range to get used to it and zero all the optics...and then to take down a bad guy in my home. I don't need it to go to war.

You may be right, though, it may just be a toy. Anybody have any experience with the Gen2 yet?

Since I really like the CONCEPT of a S2K Gen2 as a home defense weapon
So do I but not exclusively for home defense. I like to get out and shoot all my guns in the field, varmint hunting etc. but even then I want something more reliable than an S2K for home defense. It's hard to have faith in something that looks like a cheap toy on the inside AND would not take much effort to break parts off - like the front sight. I think a LOT of effort went into reducing weight to the point where reliability is questionable and quality almost non-existent. I'll take super reliable coupled with QUALITY anytime.