JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No, it's 26" long with the can removed and stock folded, and you know, it weighs two pounds less than a garbage truck. Well, maybe 25" long and four pounds less, but it's still a beast. Blowback actions need a lot of mass!
The barrel alone is 16", after all.

[Okay, I actually weighed it, and empty w/o can it's 3266g, or 7 lbs. 3 oz.]

What does the Kel-Tec tip the scales at?

No, it's 26" long with the can removed and stock folded, and you know, it weighs two pounds less than a garbage truck. Well, maybe 25" long and four pounds less, but it's still a beast. Blowback actions need a lot of mass!
The barrel alone is 16", after all.

[Okay, I actually weighed it, and empty w/o can it's 3266g, or 7 lbs. 3 oz.]

What does the Kel-Tec tip the scales at?

Sorry, when you said "folded" I thought you were talking about your S2K.

Kel-tec says the S2K weighs in a 4 pounds unloaded.

Hello
I've been searching the web for people that have had the same issue as I'm having with the Mech -Tech company.
But before I give an FYI on that, I'd like to do a little review on their CCUs
I own an older .45 1911 CCU that I've used in Steel Challenge and 3 gun matches, It's never given me any problems. I've shot major power loads of WST behind my hard cast 180, 200 gr. swc bullets. And light Steel Challenge loads of either WST or the old bullseye shooter's loads of Bulleye powder behind my cast 180 gr. swc. I never had a feed or stove pipe issue.
I'm really happy with this unit.

My wife had, until it was stolen a few days ago a Glock 17 CCU. She shot hard cast 124 gr. cn bullets out of it, using 3.... gr. of 700X It suddenly developed the nasty habit of shearing the extractor pivot pin, which would cause stove pipes. I asked for a replacement pin but they refused to send me one. Saying because of all the changes they'd made, they were afraid of liability issues. So I had to send the unit back to Mech-Tech for repair. I paid for shipping, insurance and signature upon delivery. After they fixed it, they called me to say I needed to pay for return shipping plus insurance. I had no problem paying for this, plus I required a signature upon delivery so that some one would have to be home to except it.
After some time the pivot pin broke again. I was asked to send it back. So again I paid shipping insurance and signature required.

Now comes the FYI to owners that need to send their units back or new buyers.
After waiting some time I called Mech-Tech to ask the status of my wife's CCU. I was told that it had been delivered to my front door several days before, on a day we were away. I told them there was no packages at my house and that I hadn't been notified of it shipping
So I called Fed-X to ask if possibly it was delivered to the wrong address. They told me it was delivered and left at my front door, because Mech-Tech hadn't required a signature. They also told me that Mech-Tech hadn't taken out any insurance.

I called Mech-Tech back and asked what they were going to do about the missing CCU. I was told "nothing" They said since it was delivered to my front door, it a my problem, I asked why they hadn't taken out insurance or required a signature. They said they never do unless the customer is willing to pay for it I told them that I hadn't been notified that my CCU was going to ship, so I didn't have the option to get insurance and a signature request upon delivery so that if the delivery as made when no one was home the package wouldn't be left at the front door. They still refused to replace my CCU

So I'm out a CCU and some thief has it and can do what they want with it
All this because Mech-Tech didn't want to spend a dollar or two to require a signature

Last night I read a post by some one else who was on vacation and had to have a friend pick up his new CCU from his front porch because it was left there

Mech-Tech's product may be OK, but IMO their business ethics stink

01 Mech Tech for 1911.jpg

04 Mech Tech for Glock 17.jpg

I saw your post on the mech tech forum and concur that it is a messed up situation. I bought my glock 21 mech tech from a vendor in Oregon City and had no interaction with the shipping process but I appreciate the heads up if I ever need to ship for service etc. Mine has been flawless btw- 200 grain RN plated bullets over 6 grains unique seem to work great. Seems like there are quite a few in the northwest that own these....

I will keep my eye out for a glock 17 version "selling" in these parts.... they aren't something that you see everyday.

I saw your post on the mech tech forum and concur that it is a messed up situation. I bought my glock 21 mech tech from a vendor in Oregon City and had no interaction with the shipping process but I appreciate the heads up if I ever need to ship for service etc. Mine has been flawless btw- 200 grain RN plated bullets over 6 grains unique seem to work great. Seems like there are quite a few in the northwest that own these....

I will keep my eye out for a glock 17 version "selling" in these parts.... they aren't something that you see everyday.
That's much appreciated. If you or any one here wants to get together to shoot Mech-Techs out at the Tri County action range I'm in for it. I have steel plates we can use.
Do you shoot in competition?

Oh! I should mention that musicman and I have talked on the phone about that G17 unit because of an earlier post about breaking extractor pins. He was the original designer of the CCUs but needed financial backers to start the business. There's a U-tube video that he told me about out there. Then he sold out and now is a consulting engineer for them. He was the one that suggested I send the unit in so he could figure out and fix why it kept breaking extractor pivot pins
He's blameless with whats going on between Mech-Tech and me, and has no control of their decisions
But since you are a fellow forum member there, I will tell you that IMO they are a dog and pony show.
I've filed complaints with the state of Montana DOJ and Oregon DOJ plus the BBB. And I'm working on finding out the address and phone numbers of all the principles of the company since Russ at Mech-Tech won't reveal them.

That's much appreciated. If you or any one here wants to get together to shoot Mech-Techs out at the Tri County action range I'm in for it. I have steel plates we can use.
Do you shoot in competition?

Oh! I should mention that musicman and I have talked on the phone about that G17 unit because of an earlier post about breaking extractor pins. He was the original designer of the CCUs but needed financial backers to start the business. There's a U-tube video that he told me about out there. Then he sold out and now is a consulting engineer for them. He was the one that suggested I send the unit in so he could figure out and fix why it kept breaking extractor pivot pins
He's blameless with whats going on between Mech-Tech and me, and has no control of their decisions
But since you are a fellow forum member there, I will tell you that IMO they are a dog and pony show.
I've filed complaints with the state of Montana DOJ and Oregon DOJ plus the BBB. And I'm working on finding out the address and phone numbers of all the principles of the company since Russ at Mech-Tech won't reveal them.

I hope something works out in this situation- hate to see time and money down the tube. I don't shoot competition but have been out to tri-county with a friend and its a nice place (only shot pistol and 100 yard range). Sounds like a fun time to me- I have been shooting ar500 head sized targets at 50 and 100 yards out towards the coast range.... recently mounted a weaver v3 (1-3 power) scope to mine since I have found the mech tech be quite accurate.

I would love a Glock mag carbine.

Other than the two you own and reviewed in your OP. What do you think about such rifles as the "just right carbine" or something like a lone wolf AR build?

If I could find a S2K I would buy it hands down. But, for the same money I think I could probably build a lone wolf lowered AR in 9mm too.

Also what about the other AR pistol builds available?

Or carbines like the Beretta CX4 or the new Taurus Carbine?

I would love a Glock mag carbine.

Other than the two you own and reviewed in your OP. What do you think about such rifles as the "just right carbine" or something like a lone wolf AR build?

If I could find a S2K I would buy it hands down. But, for the same money I think I could probably build a lone wolf lowered AR in 9mm too.

Also what about the other AR pistol builds available?

Or carbines like the Beretta CX4 or the new Taurus Carbine?

I really don't have any experience with any other pistol caliber carbines.

The Just Right Carbine looks pretty cool, and it's great that it will take Glock 26 magazines. I saw a JP Enterprises 9mm AR at an Appleseed shoot a few months ago and it was a good gun too. I know almost nothing of the CX4 or Taurus carbine, but I suppose that if I was going to get another one it would probably be the JRC.

One more thing....

I ended up getting a brand new Glock 19 frame off Gunbroker for $169 (plus shipping) and sent in a Form 1 to register it as an SBR. I also purchased an SWR Octane 45 that's in NFA purgatory and will be for most of the rest of the year. When I get all the paperwork back I'll take the upper to Tom Denall and have him shorten it to 9", which is right at the upper part of the slanted front of the upper. With the Octane 45 threaded on it will be the same length as it is now and much quieter.

I would love a Glock mag carbine....

Did these jump in price recently? Last S2k I noticed was maybe 5 months ago and it was priced at $350 new in a gun shop...

A quick update:

Earlier this week I sent off the Glock 19 frame I have dedicated to the MechTech upper to have a <broken link removed> installed.

Yes, I know.... Glocks don't need safeties. And I agree, when they're pistols carried in holsters. But I just don't feel comfortable having a rifle without a manual safety, and since this frame is dedicated to a be a rifle I didn't feel quite so bad about having it added.

Anyhow, I got the shipping e-mail today. It was scheduled to be delivered Friday, but I won't be home so I'll have to wait and pick it up at the UPS office on Monday. I'll post a short review of the Glock/MechTech/Cominolli combination Monday evening.

I have a Mech Tech for the glock 19. I had terrible FTF issues and got a replacement "glock block" which is the small piece that fits into the lower to direct rounds into the chamber. FTF resolved. But then I could not eject rounds after they were chambered without firing it. So it sits in my safe now.

OZELGFy.jpg?1

Please keep us updated on the Mech-Tech story, jg-rider!

Well I gave up along time ago on getting any relief from Mech-Tech. Before Mech tech lost my unit, I had many phone conversations with the original designer of the Mech Tech units about my ejection issues caused by broken extractor pivot / cross pins. He sold the company a long time back and is now an engineer for them.
My unit was an old design that the engineer discovered had ejector design flaws in the bolt. But the company wouldn't replace the flawed bolt, just replaced the pins.
I gathered from these conversations that they are a small low budget company. They don't give away snow in the winter.

I have a Mech Tech for the glock 19. I had terrible FTF issues and got a replacement "glock block" which is the small piece that fits into the lower to direct rounds into the chamber. FTF resolved. But then I could not eject rounds after they were chambered without firing it. So it sits in my safe now.

Beware of how you try to eject those stuck rounds. IMHO I wouldn't try to force the bolt handle back by using your foot or banging on it. The ejector hook is stout but the ejector pivot pin is a small diameter pin that breaks easily. That was the problem I had with my wife's G17 unit, the pin would break so as the bolt went back the ejector would slide forward in it's slot. then as the slide went forward the ejector would side back into it's normal position.
They claimed my light Steel Challenge loads were to hot, so the fired cases were getting stuck in the chamber, and my forcing the bolt back caused the ejector pivot pins to break.
I'd suggest you use a dowel down th bore to remove stuck rounds. LOL :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews