JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Once a retail giant, Kmart down to 3 stores
after NJ closing

I blame Tom Cruise & Dustin Hoffman

Anyone have some K-Mart memories?

K-Mart Beaverton closed in the last 3 years.
Now the lot is "West End" apartments and shops.
(and still 35 blocks from the real West End of Beaverton)

Bought alot of fishing gear at the one off Portland road back in the day.. Closest it hink it Target, they both had a popcorn smell to the place.

No good recollections, really, and I can think of one in which made Wally World look like the pinnacle of retail competence by comparison. There is an empty building with a giant K outline on it in Roseburg where one once operated. Someone told me another establishment is going in there, but don't recall what.

But down to three stores? Yikes.

Growing up without money, clothes shopping was at Mom's favorite - Montgomery Wards, I do not ever remember getting clothes that fit there, and
K-mart, and Sears. Often Catalog.

When feeling Up-scale JCPenney's. Or perhaps when the family might slip mom a few $$.

I do remember that my brother and I would play inside the circular clothes racks - hide and seek.
And they always felt dirty.

When I was between High School and College at the end of Summer, my to be 1st roommate, a couple of girls and I went to the Oregon Coast in his car. At Indian Beach we got in an accident. My roomie, trying to be cost conscious, got an estimate at the K-mart. He ended up marring the girl I was with and had a couple of kids.

I do also, now that @mrblond mentions it, recall that pop-corn smell.

I bought my first Rem. 870 at a KMart in Maine in the 80's. I don't remember exactly what I paid, but it was much less than the local gun shops. That particular store had everything you might ever need: food, clothes, cleaning supplies, automotive, sporting goods ... heck, even a small luncheonette. Pretty much an old-school BiMart, but much larger.

Fond memories, indeed! :)

Bummer!

I was fairly poor as a kid, K-mart was actually "upscale" to me.

My mom usually took me to Yellow Front. I do, however recall the "blue light special" hoopla, the food counter and ice cream counter....and yup, the smell of popcorn.

When I was older I bought my first in-dash car CD player there, it was a Sony.

I miss brick and mortar stores, warts and all. Amazon sucks.

Bummer!

I was fairly poor as a kid, K-mart was actually "upscale" to me.

My mom usually took me to Yellow Front. I do, however recall the "blue light special" hoopla, the food counter and ice cream counter....and yup, the smell of popcorn.

When I was older I bought my first in-dash car CD player there, it was a Sony.

I miss brick and mortar stores, warts and all. Amazon sucks.
Yep, it was a step up from the TG&Y.

When very young it was a great thing. Mega type store where you could almost buy anything you wanted or needed. In the late 80's on it got so bad that by about the early 90's it was only a last resort when looking for something. Last trip into one was early or mid 90's where I was standing in line with an armload of stuff that I ended up setting down and walking out in disgust. Telling Wife I will do without before I set foot in here again. Did buy what must have been a literal ton of ammo from them over the years. Mostly .22. First place I was ever buying it by the case from. Used to be a hoot to watch the look on the clerks face when I said I want a case of that. They would try to hand me a brick. I would say no, I want you to go in the back and bring me a case. :D
The last one here folded so long ago I had no idea there was such a thing anywhere anymore. Prime example of how mismanagement can ruin a place.

Still can't help but think of ...

384361-20;1525752145y.jpg

I lived with mom until I was 10.
She was terrible with money. If we needed something new it was either Kmart or the 99 cent store.

She'd buy us an icee and ham sandwich. The ham sandwiches were nasty.
I remember looking through the sporting good section dreaming about fishing with all of the shiny lures.
That popcorn smell was on anything you bought and took home.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top