JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New member. Living in a large city, and starting to be concerned about the number of addicts/mentally ill people walking around my property. I love the PNW but I'm shifting further and further right as the I live with the repercussions of my areas policies. Bought a VP9 and have really been enjoying shooting it. Applied for my CCW and planning on taking some classes to improve my efficiency for a home defense situation. I honestly wish I had gotten into shooting earlier because it's fun as hell.

image 1.png PXL_20230913_005918142.jpg

Welcome to the forum.
And yes , shooting is very fun.

In regards to home defense....
Shooting , is only a small part of it. ( hopefully a never used part of it )
Knowing when to shoot... and knowing when not to shoot is important.
Having the ability and willingness to shoot someone as in an actual live person....is something to consider as well.
As well as understanding that the consequences and outcome of doing so will be different than what you expect.
Shooting someone is a life altering event for all involved.

Lights...clear areas around your home and entry ways...
Knowing your neighbors , their cars and the like...
Get used to looking for things that just shouldn't be there...or ain't quite right...
Stout doors , good locks....maybe a dog...
All of the above goes a long way in regards to home defense.
Andy

Welcome to the forum.

Having the ability and willingness to shoot someone as in an actual live person....is something to consider as well.
As well as understanding that the consequences and outcome of doing so will be different than what you expect.

Get used to looking for things that just shouldn't be there...or ain't quite right...
Andy
Unfortunately, I live pretty much across the street from a low-income housing spot owned by the city so there is a constant string of random people around. A fair amount of open or not very concealed drug use etc. I very often have to ask the junkies to clean up the messes they leave along the parking strip. My house is secure and monitored with motion lights, alarm system etc. But your point is still totally valid and taken, there's a lot more I could do as well.

Welcome to the forum and good for you exercising your constitutional rights.

It is fun as hell…. Helps me focus and is a great hobby if done safely and responsibly. Easy to pull a trigger…. It should be as easy as not being a "knucklehead" but many cannot.

Practice practice… learn and live the basics…. You'll enjoy more and more. Accuracy, speed and consistency will come.

Welcome welcome…. I'm excited for you.
Great place for questions here…..

Welcome! After you get some training under your belt and feel like you have a bit of proficiency I would encourage you to try your hand at an IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) match. It will force you to shoot under pressure and will help refine your skills.

Welcome to the forum.

Andy
I would like to add to Andy's post.

Situational awareness is key. Have a plan with your family in case things go south. Your reactions will only be as good as your training and it's best not to make a plan at the time you need one. Discuss plan's B and C because no battle plan survives contact with the enemy.

Study Col. Jeff Cooper's color code and don't take anything for granted. If your house is two story I suggest having two handgun safes one on each level. Trying to run upstairs and grab your defensive tool will wast precious time.

As far as legal liabilities when using Deadly Force, Massad Ayoob is a good person to study. He written several books, expert witness and firearms instructor.

TRAIN, do not practice. Look to make each range trip about training, not just shooting. And, stock up on LOTS of ammo. There are some signs of shortages in place. Not saying there will be shortages, but some people are prognosticating there will be/is. And welcome to the pew pew world.

Look to make each range trip about training, not just shooting.
Gun ownership and shooting is not all about defense.

I can appreciate training, and practice to a degree with guns one considers to be 'defensive' firearms but how about all the rest?

I certainly am not out 'training' when I am shooting my classic Winchesters, or any other of my particular rifles. This is about shooting as a sport/hobby/pastime, or hunting practice.

I can appreciate training, and practice to a degree with guns one considers to be 'defensive' firearms but how about all the rest?

I certainly am not out 'training' when I am shooting my classic Winchesters, or any other of my particular rifles. This is about shooting as a sport/hobby/pastime, or hunting practice.
Only mentioned training because OP referenced home defense situation.

Sorta. Even out fun shooting has tie ins with training, simply in that it's more fun when we hit what we're aiming at.

Sure, no time/gear/stressors & just having fun (safely) shooting "whatever" firearms. vs Regular training with carried/planned defensive arms.

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Check out the organized clean ups in Oregon and Washington. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

If you really want to get involved in community action check out Trash No Land.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top