JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an old JC Higgins model 30 583.74 rifle that i have been carting around for a long time. I had removed the trigger guard for safety purposes. I am now ready to clean it up, and put it to use, but i am missing a part. All that i see are calling it a recharge handle, bolt operating handle, and a couple other names. Somehow this piece that operates the bolt to load the first round, has disapeared. I don't quite understand how it came out, or even how it was held in. I have been searching for this part, and came across some that may be what i need, but even the parts schematic doesn't indicate to me what retains it in the gun. There is just a slot across the bolt for it, but nothing to hold it in. This model has the bolt operating handle on the right side. Anybody have any experience with these things. May have to take it to a gunsmith, just don't know if it is worth that cost.

look on youtube, there are take down and repair vids on there if they have not been removed .
I have a model 31 ,I think the 30 is about the same if your referring to a 22lr semi auto , they were made by high standard so a high standard vid should work if you cant find a higgins vid,
p,s, you might find the parts you need on ebay.

look on youtube, there are take down and repair vids on there if they have not been removed .
I have a model 31 ,I think the 30 is about the same if your referring to a 22lr semi auto , they were made by high standard so a high standard vid should work if you cant find a higgins vid,
p,s, you might find the parts you need on ebay.
Thank you

I have an old JC Higgins model 30 583.74 rifle that i have been carting around for a long time. I had removed the trigger guard for safety purposes. I am now ready to clean it up, and put it to use, but i am missing a part. All that i see are calling it a recharge handle, bolt operating handle, and a couple other names. Somehow this piece that operates the bolt to load the first round, has disapeared. I don't quite understand how it came out, or even how it was held in. I have been searching for this part, and came across some that may be what i need, but even the parts schematic doesn't indicate to me what retains it in the gun. There is just a slot across the bolt for it, but nothing to hold it in. This model has the bolt operating handle on the right side. Anybody have any experience with these things. May have to take it to a gunsmith, just don't know if it is worth that cost.
should be an action bar like this 1614029824285.png
and should be on the left side like mine. 100_3129.JPG

Mine is different, it is on the right side. Takes a flat form pc of steel that sit across the top of the bolt.
Ahh, that is the other model and should be the same as the 27,28 and 29. Might be able to use one of these below from Model 34 hi standard ... https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/356600E

Does yours have the retractable sling in the buttstock?
1614097016578.png

Last Edited:

In the past there have been folks make statements that NWFA is a less than nice place to be. I've never seen it that way. And you coming here, brand new to the site and asking a question about an old rifle you want to get up and running, get several responses from members that just love to help a fellow firearms enthusiast. That's not to say there aren't times when some discussions might seem less than friendly. But you have to consider just how many people frequent NWFA? Sometimes there's bound to be some tension. But the vast majority of members are some mighty fine people.

Welcome to the site! @RRichards

In the past there have been folks make statements that NWFA is a less than nice place to be. I've never seen it that way. And you coming here, brand new to the site and asking a question about an old rifle you want to get up and running, get several responses from members that just love to help a fellow firearms enthusiast. That's not to say there aren't times when some discussions might seem less than friendly. But you have to consider just how many people frequent NWFA? Sometimes there's bound to be some tension. But the vast majority of members are some mighty fine people.

Welcome to the site! @RRichards
I did not see anything unfriendly, if that is what your stating. I am pretty laid back, and don't take things to seriously. I just didn't understand your statement. Thank you for clarifying it. The help i got was fine. I do realize that an old firearm may have few people that know a lot about them.

I did not see anything unfriendly, if that is what your stating. I am pretty laid back, and don't take things to seriously. I just didn't understand your statement. Thank you for clarifying it. The help i got was fine. I do realize that an old firearm may have few people that know a lot about them.

If you want another great source for old gun people check gunboards.com.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top