JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Are ivory grips for a 1911 legal in Washington?
If yes, where could I get some?
I don't know why they would be but then you are talking about one of those "Deadly" gun things. I'm pretty sure the grips made of the Ivory Dust is legal. There is also a gentleman who is making grips from Elk Horn and he has made some with "no bark" that look very much like Ivory. Good Luck.

Good luck. You now have to prove that the ivory is over 100 years old to be legal.
Here's an excerpt from an NRA article shown below.

"At a February 26, 2014 hearing of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service director Daniel M. Ashe confirmed that under the FWS's policy to "end the legal commerce in ivory," it will be illegal to sell any firearm or other item that contains any amount of ivory and that is less than 100 years old. Even for items at least 100 years old, the burden of proof would be on the seller to show that the ivory is old enough—a nearly impossible burden to carry, since even a firearm or other item more than 100 years old may have been restored with newer ivory parts. Meeting the FWS standards of proof would be challenging and expensive, as FWS will require evidence such as scientific testing, a "qualified appraisal," or other "detailed history" information ranging from family photos to "ethnographic fieldwork".

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...n-fact-sheet&usg=AOvVaw1mFcHnr4kX4hFLaralvqnc

I just won a bid on eBay for some unused vintage bone 1911 grips. They kinda look like old ivory and are a smooth texture, unlike stag horn material.

s-l1600.jpg

The good thing is after they make guns illegal it'll be moot.
lolz
Look at some American Holly panels.. they don't fade. Here's some Spegle (from Nehalem) grips.

upload_2018-9-28_19-3-15.jpeg

I've been kicking around the idea of taking vintage ivory piano key tops and laminating them together onto a stable backing plate to make some 1911 grips.
They're on eBay for cheap and if done right just might make an interesting looking grip.

s-l1600.jpg

I've been kicking around the idea of taking vintage ivory piano key tops and laminating them together onto a stable backing plate to make some 1911 grips.
They're on eBay for cheap and if done right just might make an interesting looking grip.

View attachment 503816

Every time you hold your gun you're now going to hear Paul McCartney signing....

Ebony and ivory live together in perfect harmony
Side by side on my piano keyboard, oh Lord, why don't we?

LOL.....

I checked his site and didn't find any.
Thanks anyway.
Gabby
You bet. I noticed that on a public forum kinda like this site he has about a million pictures of some of the grips he has made/makes.. and it's way more than what is shown/offered as standard on his site.
anyhoo, I guess you could contact him like I suggested were you of a mind to

You bet. I noticed that on a public forum kinda like this site he has about a million pictures of some of the grips he has made/makes.. and it's way more than what is shown/offered as standard on his site.
anyhoo, I guess you could contact him like I suggested were you of a mind to
Thanks anyway, I have a big chunk of moose antler I'm planning to make a set from, when I find the time. LOL, I just think the white grip would go well with the polished white grip frame, or not?
I'm not in a hurry.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads