JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The question I have for you all is, "is your concealed carry/daily carry weapon your best gun?"

Whether or not you CC a pistol, or have a rifle in the trunk, ect, the gun you carry outside your home, is it what you would call your best gun. By best I mean a few things, is it the most upgraded or setup with the best possible parts you can afford.....is it the weapon you are most proficient with?

I ask this more for the discussion than anything, but I know a lot of people that daily a stock glock, yet have an AR-15 with thousands of dollars of upgrades that will never see use outside a range, now I totally understand being proficient with a rifle in case SHTF, ect, but in reality your daily carry piece is what you have every single day. How many people would take that same glock and put the best barrel, sights, scope, ect that they can afford? I know that scopes on pistols are becoming more popular, stippling, there are a million sights, lasers, lights, ect.

Again this is semi hypothetical as I can see reasonings for both sides, would just like to hear others thoughts on it.

When I carry, my carry is my bestes.
When I 3-gun, my 1911 is my best, unless I need lotsa ammo, then my G22 is bestes
Except during the rifle-carbine stage when my M4 is the cat's meow
Then the shotgun stage where my M930JMPro with extended mag and breacher mod choke is tops.
Then there's service rifle where my Garand is best, unless I bow to the urge to shoot my 1917 Enfield, unless I go all 556 and shoot the AR 20 inch upper.
Hypothetically speaking :)

Best Glock is one with factory internals and good sights in a good holster. Messing with a Glock messes with it's reliability. It's not a 1911.

"Best" I think is also subjective - the best defensive gun is likely the most reliable gun you have that you can be relatively accurate with - it's not necessarily the most accurate gun you have. 1911's can be so accurate as to shoot in one hole at 100 yards from a bench - but a gun with tolerances so tight likely won't be the most reliable and functional from the standpoint of a carry gun. Get lint, dirt, sand, or blood in there and those tight tolerances will stop the gun in it's tracks. A looser "service" gun like a Glock, Smith & Wesson, CZ or Sig will run. Might not shoot one hole at 50 yards, but will put rounds into a man sized target at ranges that you'd be vindicated in court shooting someone at.

A guy with a tricked out comp gun can have $5000 or more into the gun - but it won't be his carry gun. Just like a guy isn't going to run a bone stock Glock, M&P, or LC9 in an Open division shooting competition.

If I could carry a rifle in the truck when I'm working - I would. As it is I'm okay toting a pistol but a rifle is no bueno. I'm a better (as in, more accurate) shot with a rifle than I am with a pistol. But a pistol is what I can carry. So I carry a pistol I can shoot reasonably well with, that is reliable, and thus its the best carry gun I have.

When your life is on the line, the only good weapon is a reliable weapon. I understand people tricking out a competition pistol. I have done the same to one of mine. I've also built that AR with the upgrades. I know shooters who only shoot their tricked out guns. They shoot them because they're fun. I get it.

My complaint is about the ones who don't shoot/practice with their daily carry as well. If they're in one of these active shooter situations that seem to be popping up, will they be ready?Due to lack of maintenance will they have a malfunction? Will they be in a situation to stop the them?

My daily carry is the one I expect to fire every single time. I don't want fancy springs, barrel or other parts that might affect the only things that matter to me in a situation like that. Reliability. Other than a light and some good night sights...

The general consensus on a daily carry gun is stock and reliable, I find it really interesting that guys SHTF weapons are the complete opposite...maybe deep down we all know the zombies arnt coming, haha.

For my EDC weapon I tend to stick to a bone stock Glock-30 and (on occasion) a Glock-19 (Gen.3) with three exceptions: upgraded Trijicon HD tritium iron sights on both of them, a Lone Wolf SS recoil spring and guide-rod in the G-19 because I don't dig plastic internals like that, and grip-plugs behind the mag-wells.

Three reasons: One; commonality in repair/replacement parts. Two; reduced chances of an ambitious prosecutor trying to make a case that I was "chomping at the bit" to shoot someone if I were to be involved in a DGU. Three; I don't lose a very expensive customized pistol to be held "in evidence" for God knows how long.

Defensive pistols are for close range work, scopes are unneeded and are a snag hazard. My AR's and AK's (I own multiples of both)... I don't "walk around" with those, but I would in a SHTF scenario to help restore order or defending who/what's mine. I also keep the internals (of both types) milspec/stock (I'm not "trigger sensitive") for already said reasons, but prefer picatinny railed free-float forearms on my AR's as they're more capable of better accuracy than the AK's, and easier to change out the configuration as needed. I'm an old "Cold War" warrior and I like my AK's in their more classic configurations and profiles.

Nope, A carry gun is a tool.

I have several sets of Snap On wrenches, I dont carry them around in my truck. I got a Craftsman set that work just fine and I dont have to worry about a $700 set of wrenches getting stolen out of my work rig.

In my opinion a carry gun is your daily driver, Not the hot rod you keep covered in the garage 95% of the time.

I carry either a M&P Compact or a Shield depending. I have several of each. It might seem boring that I have three identical stock Shields but they are simply tools. I have more than one 12" Crescent wrench too. I have probably 15 magazines for the Shields. There are always loaded spares in each of my rigs. Its also what I would use as a home defense handgun. Its what I practice with because its what I carry.

I have a M&P Pro series with a Trigicon RMR and a pile of aftermarket bits, Its worth more than all three of the Shields put together. Not a chance you will catch me with it on my hip.

My best carry gun is the gun I shoot best defensively.
It fits my hand, it's rock solid dependable.
Therefore, I always carry my best gun.

It's not my fanciest, most expensive or latest thing.
It's not my most competetively accurate.
It's my Beretta 86, (and it didn't get the job just because it's good lookin').

NO. Aside from one target .22 and a Field Grade Shotgun I fancied up with better wood and a new finish. I have none of my FIREARMS are upgraded accessorized etc. They are all as manufactured. I would have a very hard time deciding what was my "Best" FIREARM.

My most valuable is a c1905 Winchester Model 1895 Deluxe rifle 28" bbl Burl Walnut stock and Lyman 21 receiver mounted peep sight in 30 Gov. (30-40 Krag) That was my dads.

My best is the one I have at the time I need it for whatever situation I happen to be in as long as it gives me and mine a chance to get clear of the given situation and that includes knives, bats, sticks, etc. Should be my Walther though.

I agree with the crowd who looks upon their EDCs as tools. Like others too I have lots of tools and lots of duplicates. My EDC is a tool. Factory stock and reliable to the bone. Its like my framing hammer. Ugly but 100% reliable and gets the job done. My .02 worth.

In terms of BEST TOOL FOR THE INTENDED JOB, then yes.
But by general standards...Nope, not the best. It's purpose was to be concealable, reliable and accurate.
When I open carry then yes, it's my high and mighty best gun and the one i'm most proficient with. When you're talking about EDC...primarily something that's smaller and needs to be concealed better then you inherently lose a little bit in the BEST dept.

I don't carry much but when I do its usually a cheap plastic Kahr CM9. Just because its small and easy to pack. Definitely not my best or favorite gun.

My carry is actually one of my cheapest guns (cheapest pistol by far) but it is very reliable, accurate and of comfortable size.

If I wanted to carry my best handgun then I'd have to pack a 6" .357mag everywhere but I'd rather have a simi-auto for cc.

is there any truth to not wanting to use a modified firearm, such as a glock with a trigger kit, for an edc for legal reasons in the case that it needs to be used. such as in court would it come up as a negative that the weapon was modified from original?

thats what i was always told so i keep my edc stock.

My 'best gun' rarely leaves the gunsafe. My carry gun goes on my hip every morning, just like my wallet goes in my pocket, watch goes on the wrist (I'm old), and out the door I go.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top