JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
roll up a piece of white paper towel and stick in it 1/4-3/8 inch or so into the muzzle end then take another picture like you did the first one, there should be enough reflected light so we can get a better look.

I see what you mean. My nitride barrels don't glint that bad, and I don't have an unlined barrel to compare to, but I should have asked for a photo with better lighting before making a determination.

Sorry for misleading you, OP! :oops:

We are all just talking here. I'm sure you meant no malice.

Hey I try to lay out my best argument when giving an opinion.
But it's just my opinion.

I never forget that I could be, and often am wrong. :s0108:

If your barrel is nitride or melonite that is fine. You need to buy a chamber brush and a barrel brush that made out nylon instead of copper. I have couple of home built rifles that have a melonite barrel instead of chromed line.

looks like no chrome lined 4150 to me at the muzzle. some barrel extensions are chrome lined. hard to tell

i have no chrome lined barrels. i have 2 4150, 2 nitrided and 1 416r stainless

If your barrel is nitride or melonite that is fine. You need to buy a chamber brush and a barrel brush that made out nylon instead of copper. I have couple of home built rifles that have a melonite barrel instead of chromed line.
that-dont-make-no-sense-makeameme-ord-31929737_png-804963.JPG

That is what I do for melonite barrel and I use bronze (not copper) or nylon in my chrome lined barrels. I don't soak the barrel in solvent for too long either.
You're welcome to clean your barrels however you please, but to tell others they need to use a nylon brush instead of copper or bronze is patently false.

First of all, Nitride is not an external coating like Cerakote, DuraCoat, or Rustoleum. It is a surface treatment for steel that surface hardens it, makes it more corrosion resistant, and increases lubricity. It won't chip, flake, or scrape off unless you're actually removing the steel itself, as it penetrates to a depth of 0.004"-0.008".

If you're worried about a copper or bronze bore brush damaging a nitride barrel, ask yourself this:

How is it a copper or bronze bore brush will damage the nitride in the bore, yet the nitride in the bore can withstand a copper jacketed bullet being swaged down the barrel at 3,000+ fps?

The myth of needing to use a nylon brush on nitride barrels is just that; a myth.

Last Edited:
You're welcome to clean your barrels however you please, but to tell others they need to use a nylon brush instead of copper or bronze is patently false.

First of all, Nitride is not an external coating like Cerakote, DuraCoat, or Rustoleum. It is a surface treatment for steel that surface hardens it, makes it more corrosion resistant, and increases lubricity. It won't chip, flake, or scrape off unless you're actually removing the steel itself, as it penetrates to a depth of 0.004"-0.008".

If you're worried about a copper or bronze bore brush damaging a nitride barrel, ask yourself this:

How is it a copper or bronze bore brush will damage the nitride in the bore, yet the nitride in the bore can withstand a copper jacketed bullet being swaged down the barrel at 3,000+ fps?

The myth of needing to use a nylon brush on nitride barrels is just that; a myth.

You are correct. I was reading an article that nitride and melonite being different and the article suggested a nylon chamber brush and bore brush over a bronze brushes.

Didn't mean to highjack this thread. My chrome lined barrels say "CL" on them too.

I'm trying to figure out the manufacturer of the barrel. I cant find any similar except DPMS but those are marked dpms from what I found atleast. I'm not sure if all come marked.
The barrel I bought from DPMS says: 556 Nato 1x7
-CHROMED-
Also there is no mention of DPMS marked on the barrel, not sure why. I could Easley see chrome at the muzzle before I installed the flash hider. Could also see it at the chamber end too. Kind of a frosted look.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top