JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
But if you are buying used then there is no record of your transaction for the government to track. Many people are willing to pay up for this feature.

I get that there may be a dollar value associated with a rifle being "off book" but how much would that value increase be? 10%? 20%? More?

If there truly is an added value to a firearm being "off book" I would say it is unique to only a single class of firearm.

E

I see it all the time. There are quite a few new AR's that can be had for less than$600 and a lot of folks asking $700-$800-$900 for AR's that are at the best no better and more likely not as nice. I think the main thing is the good quality sub $600 AR is a relativity new phenom. I think there are lots of folks who still think ANY AR is worth $700, which used to be pretty accurate but not so much any more. Right now you can buy more AR for your buck than any time in history. In days past $1000 would buy you a reasonably good entry level AR, In today's world you can buy a really nice rifle for that same grand.

A REALLY nice rifle for $1K!

I think you have probably nailed it. The used AR market has not caught up with the current retail market.

E

Bottom line: They can ask any price they want whether or not it sells for that price is decided by the buyers. If the same exact rifle can be bought new for the same price then it is the buyers choice to buy a new one instead, pretty simple really.

But if you are buying used then there is no record of your transaction for the government to track. Many people are willing to pay up for this feature.
Yea, I understand that concept. However, the prices in Washington are the same as in Oregon.. for privately sold rifles.

Yup, I concur. Try to find a stripped lower right now, private party.

Prices have been higher lately, but not just on rifles, I see used handguns going for retail + all the time.

Prices have been higher lately, but not just on rifles, I see used handguns going for retail + all the time.

In the case of a stripped lower I can see asking $25-30 above retail simple because of the transfer fee involved when it was originally purchased.

E

I commented on this ( handgun price) about a yr ago and kinda got blasted you should go back and read the thread its simmerly titled, I thought most of the reasoning was off the hook. But to each their own!
Stacy

I see it all the time. There are quite a few new AR's that can be had for less than$600 and a lot of folks asking $700-$800-$900 for AR's that are at the best no better and more likely not as nice. I think the main thing is the good quality sub $600 AR is a relativity new phenom. I think there are lots of folks who still think ANY AR is worth $700, which used to be pretty accurate but not so much any more. Right now you can buy more AR for your buck than any time in history. In days past $1000 would buy you a reasonably good entry level AR, In today's world you can buy a really nice rifle for that same grand.
And as far as I am concerned,unless the AR has exactly what I would put on it,it's worth the price of the cheap ARs
Just like selling your Harley,you can't add up the receipts you have for it and expect to get that when you sell it

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top