Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Is it just me......

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by nehalemguy, Jun 25, 2015.

1. nehalemguy

nehalemguy Vernonia Well-Known Member

....or are used AR platform rifles being offered up for more $$$ than new rifles?

E

2. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

No idea. You can get a brand new S&W at nw armory for like $580.

3. nehalemguy

Exactly.

E

4. Certaindeaf

And they've got iron sights.. and aren't a bubbafied piece a crap without a warranty. lol

ConcreteJungle likes this.
  5. SHPD_Retired

SHPD_Retired Saint Helens Well-Known Member

But if you are buying used then there is no record of your transaction for the government to track. Many people are willing to pay up for this feature.

Caveman Jim and transittech like this.
  6. oli700

oli700 Rogue Valley Well-Known Member

and depending on the rifle a used XXXX can be worth more money than a new XXXX to some folks, sky is the limit on this platform

7. nehalemguy

I get that there may be a dollar value associated with a rifle being "off book" but how much would that value increase be? 10%? 20%? More?

If there truly is an added value to a firearm being "off book" I would say it is unique to only a single class of firearm.

E

8. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

I see it all the time. There are quite a few new AR's that can be had for less than$600 and a lot of folks asking $700-$800-$900 for AR's that are at the best no better and more likely not as nice. I think the main thing is the good quality sub $600 AR is a relativity new phenom. I think there are lots of folks who still think ANY AR is worth $700, which used to be pretty accurate but not so much any more. Right now you can buy more AR for your buck than any time in history. In days past $1000 would buy you a reasonably good entry level AR, In today's world you can buy a really nice rifle for that same grand.

mjbskwim likes this.
  9. nehalemguy

A REALLY nice rifle for $1K!

I think you have probably nailed it. The used AR market has not caught up with the current retail market.

E

10. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Bottom line: They can ask any price they want whether or not it sells for that price is decided by the buyers. If the same exact rifle can be bought new for the same price then it is the buyers choice to buy a new one instead, pretty simple really.

11. Certaindeaf

Yea, I understand that concept. However, the prices in Washington are the same as in Oregon.. for privately sold rifles.

IronMonster likes this.
  12. transittech

transittech PDX Well-Known Member

Yup, I concur. Try to find a stripped lower right now, private party.

Prices have been higher lately, but not just on rifles, I see used handguns going for retail + all the time.

13. nehalemguy

In the case of a stripped lower I can see asking $25-30 above retail simple because of the transfer fee involved when it was originally purchased.

E

14. scrandall01215

scrandall01215 Washougal,WA Well-Known Member

I commented on this ( handgun price) about a yr ago and kinda got blasted you should go back and read the thread its simmerly titled, I thought most of the reasoning was off the hook. But to each their own!
    Stacy

15. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

And as far as I am concerned,unless the AR has exactly what I would put on it,it's worth the price of the cheap ARs
    Just like selling your Harley,you can't add up the receipts you have for it and expect to get that when you sell it

16. Vanillagerrilla

Vanillagerrilla Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Its only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it

oli700 likes this.