Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Karen Payne, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Karen Payne

Karen Payne Salem 1911 girl Bronze Supporter

Hello,

Originally from the East Coast, moved to Salem (Keizer) Oregon in 1994. Have been teaching firearm to various levels, specialize in close quarter combat which focuses on things ranging from how to control a situation without a firearm, how to get to your firearm at close range attacks. Also teach Bram Frank's Gunting/LLC tool.

I favor full-size 1911 but have been known to carry a Glock 19 with built in Crimson Trace laser (got this just before CTC machine broke) or a S&W 342-PD which is my pocket firearm using a Safariland model 25 holster while my semi-automatics I use Kramer Leather hosters with 5.11 belt.

Outside of the above I love the Northwest and all it has too offer, much better than the East Coast.

orygun, Joe Link, Dyjital and 2 others like this.
  2. Mongo1

Mongo1 Santiam Canyon Active Member

The only thing I miss from the east coast is they offer broiled seafood. Welcome to the forum!

Karen Payne likes this.
  3. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Welcome aboard. Always happy to have a savvy woman around. Been to the "Right" side one time. Loved the sea coast, but didn't lak lobstah..:confused:

You've got it all here and our crab is better, even if you do have to shell it.:p

Karen Payne likes this.
  4. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Welcome to the west and the forum. Do you ever shoot at any of the matches at ARPC or any of the other clubs? Oh and nice gear you have for your teaching, quality means something.

Karen Payne likes this.
  5. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Welcome aboard, Karen! Hope you enjoy the site!

Karen Payne likes this.
  6. Karen Payne

I am a member at ARPC, at one time had access to the back gate (first gate you come too) via the lockbox when teaching large classes. Still have an active membership there but since 2007 have been teaching less firearm classes. Reason for this was I notice the lack of training available for things like how to get to your firearm when you can smell their nasty breath, their weapon is deployed already etc. I do have a great day time job that allows me to not worry about fees I charge for these classes as when others (seldom done in this area) do similar classes they charge a lot. As of next week I have surgery in California, four week recovery then ready to get back in the saddle for teaching again.

I have a ton of gear but the only thing firearms that might be considered cool is my Glock 19 with classic built in Crimsontrace laser.

I have attached some of my fix blade trainers

03.png

7. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Glad to see another person that helps to train others!

8. Just Jim

I am a life member of the ARPC, happy to have you as a fellow member. Do you advertise in the ARPC news letter?

Good luck with your surgery, best wishes and get well soon.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  9. Karen Payne

No I have not advertised in the new letter as my client tend to be a select group in that they are a minority of those carrying concealed. The majority believe that when confronted with an attacker they have time to evaluate, draw and if necessary fire while in reality the average person takes roughly four seconds to draw, acquire their target and fire which of course does not account for the latter. At one point a mentor of mine was teaching similar classes several times a month then eventually went clear down to once a year. In the beginning it was a novel to many, something new but that did not last. Same happened to me and ended up current day teaching private groups. I have done the rent space out from other instructors who tend to charge a good deal which in turn ups my class fee from $50-70 per person to over $100. So between teaching select clientele in the corporate world I do small private groups like in March I have 4-6 students for a specialty tool called the CRIMPT by Bram Frank which is not cheap as one can not take the class without purchasing the tool which goes for $120, I supply the drones but w/o the tool the class is for not. The students took the class several years ago and want a refresher course. My apologies for the long reply but that is how I roll.

10. Just Jim

Happy to see people teaching self reliance to others, that is a great contribution to our society. Hope it all works out for you. See you on the range some day and good shooting.

Jim

11. Steve Sloan

Steve Sloan Central Oregon Member

Welcome KP.
    Hope the Surgery goes well & wishing you a speedy recovery.
    Lot of good people here, I'm sure they will be along shortly.:)
    Your fixed fighters are interesting.

All the best,
    Steve

12. Karen Payne

The fix blade trainers are based off the actual knife
    http://www.nuga.ee/products/ontario/abaniko7.htm

13. Mongo1

Mongo1 Santiam Canyon Active Member

I hope your surgery went well and you are not in pain but you are a Payne aren't you?

Karen Payne and ZA_Survivalist like this.
  14. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Welcome, Karen. A "1911 girl", huh? You would get along well in my family.:) Hope your surgery went well and that you continue to spread your knowledge.

15. fredball

fredball Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!!!:s0067:

16. Karen Payne

Thanks fredball

17. shotsfired

shotsfired Ridgefield Active Member

welcome glad you made it:s0008:

Karen Payne likes this.