JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lots of OC where I live. No one cares, but some might ask about their opinion on that model of pistol.
I had to change a flat tire yesterday in Superior after camping the entire weekend up in the woods. Guy and lady in a pickup see me grab my scissor jack and stopped "to help a brother out." He was OCing a pistol. He grabs his floor jack out of his truck and we take care of business. I checked to make sure his pistol didn't get left on the side of the road, and thanked him for his help.
Solid dude.

... it's usually someone pulling a "karen/ken" face asking passive aggressively.
This reminds me of an incident I had in a Fred Meyer checkout line a few years ago.

I was purchasing an unusually large amount (for the average person) of bacon for a Cub Scout event. I had it all piled on the checkout conveyor quietly waiting my turn when I hear the Karen voice behind me say "That looks really unhealthy".

I ignored the comment at first, but the Karen, being not satisfied with my ignoring her, doubled down and repeated the comment. Maybe she thought I hadn't heard her the first time or maybe she was simply pushing for a response. Either way, this time I turned around and gave her one.

Me: "Do you know what else I hear can be unhealthy?"
Karen: "No, what?"

Her face actually lit up a for a moment when she said "what' because I think she thought she was about to learn a new tidbit of info that she could later use to flog other people with.

Me: "Not minding your own business."
Karen: A-hole!

At this point a guy in line behind Karen chimes in "How is he the a-hole when you're the one being rude?" Now rebuked on two fronts, Karen left the line and moved to another check-out thus ending her reign of annoyance.

-E-

This reminds me of an incident I had in a Fred Meyer checkout line a few years ago.

I was purchasing an unusually large amount (for the average person) of bacon for a Cub Scout event. I had it all piled on the checkout conveyor quietly waiting my turn when I hear the Karen voice behind me say "That looks really unhealthy".

I ignored the comment at first, but the Karen, being not satisfied with my ignoring her, doubled down and repeated the comment. Maybe she thought I hadn't heard her the first time or maybe she was simply pushing for a response. Either way, this time I turned around and gave her one.

Her face actually lit up a for a moment when she said "what' because I think she thought she was about to learn a new tidbit of info that she could later use to flog other people with.

At this point a guy in line behind Karen chimes in "How is he the a-hole when you're the one being rude?" Now rebuked on two fronts, Karen left the line and moved to another check-out thus ending her reign of annoyance.

-E-
I thought you were going to tell her obesity. Now I'm disappointed.

The members of the local congregation were becoming concerned about the increased drinking by one of its members along with his ever reddening nose. At their request, they asked their pastor to talk to him about it.

The member's reply? "Aye, 'tis glowing with pride at not sticking itself into other people's business!"

I thought you were going to tell her obesity. Now I'm disappointed.
I'm not that quick on my feet to have thought of that, but I'm not sure it would have worked anyhow. If she were a quick-witted Karen, she could have easily spun that back on me with a stabbing "Exactly my point!" comment.

-E-

Wait, I thought femaleness and incompetence were synonymous?

I said it!
Have a daughter? Did you teach her about her car, take her to a work-with-Dad Day? I even taught my daughter how easy it was to remove her bedroom door......after she slammed it on me. I don't expect her to be a carpenter, a plumber or anything special but a woe-is-me attitude was never allowed.

I always say that a good leader can give an instruction to his 'team' and knows that they will do the best job they can.

Back when I was a first grader, all the TV shows portrayed women as helpless and incompetent. And terrified of mice, snakes, spiders, etc. I responded to a call from my mother who was in the kitchen. There was a mouse behind the refrugerator, she informed me. She was going to move the frig out a little and I should scare the mouse out so she could smash it with a broom. About ten seconds and one smashed and discarded mouse carcass later I said, "I thought women were supposed to be afraid of mice." "I'm not afraid of mice," my mother responded. "I just don't like them in my house."

My mother actually was afraid of snakes. I, a baby biologist, read all about snakes and made sure that I could recognize the poisonous species, and spent much time in swamps and woods watching them and every other creature. But my mother didn't really believe in my or anyone else's ability to identify snakes and declare most of them harmless. One day she was returning from an archeological dig site where she was a volunteer, shovel over her shoulder, pack with finer tools on her back. The project leader, a university archeologist was coming up the trail in the opposite direction. "Hey," he said. "There's a large snake that's been sunning itself on this path. Thought I'd mention it, and say it's perfectly harmless." My mother's response? "It's certainly harmless now. I just chopped its head off with my shovel."

-E-
Reminds me of a time I was camping in the Siuslaw National Forest, Alsea area. Was hiking on a dirt road and had stopped to rest in a little clearing. A game warden drove up, got out to chat. I'm an opportunistic learner and had just recently moved to Oregon. So I had some questions. What made the holes of a certain type? And what bird was it that made a particular call at night? After we chatted a bit and the game warden found out I had been camping in this area all summer, he apparently realized I would undoubtedly know about any poachers operating in this area, and he started talking about the duty of citizens to report poaching and this number you could call to report poaching anonymously. My response? "You know, I think one of the best personality characteristics a person can have is the ability to mind his or her own business."

When I was a kiddie my dad taught me what to do if I accidentally came upon a still in the swamp or woods. Pretend you don't see it, get outta there in a hurry, never go back, and never tell anyone.

When I moved to Oregon 45 years ago, I figured the same rules applied to pot patches.

he apparently realized I would undoubtedly know about any poachers operating in this area,
Sounds more like an ASSUMPTION on his part you might know.

Reality being what it is I have occasionally wondered how many people actually HAVE witnessed poaching?

I suspect most poachers keep a low profile, most likely poach in areas away from popular areas, probably at night as well, I don't know just guessing but I just don't see it as something that is witnessed very often, and if it is I suspect a lot goes unreported possibly.

I have spent a LOT of time in the woods throughout my life. I have seen some odd or strange things but I can honestly say I never saw anything I could have honestly reported as 'poaching'.

NOW one time I DID come upon a couple dead elk that obviously had been poached as it was out of season and the antlers had been cut off but nothing I witnessed and several days past.

I called the FS but they were already aware of it.

Last Edited:
By the way, the holes I referred to in post 114 that I queried the game warden about were made by mountain beavers, small mostly nocturnal rodents up to about two pounds whose heads are a bit reminiscent of beavers. But they have short tails and are more closely related to squirrels than beavers. They live in rain forests of or, ca, and wa. So no wonder I didn't recognize their burrows since my experience up until then was in woods and swamps in Florida, Ga, Al, NY and woods and bogs in N Minnesota. (A bog is a swamp but colder and with no alligators.)

Sounds more like an ASSUMPTION on his part you might know.

Reality being what it is I have occasionally wondered how many people actually HAVE witnessed poaching?

I suspect most poachers keep a low profile, most likely poach in areas away from popular areas, probably at night as well, I don't know just guessing but I just don't see it as something that is witnessed very often, and if it is I suspect a lot goes unreported possibly.

I have spent a LOT of time in the woods throughout my life. I have seen some odd or strange things but I can honestly say I never saw anything I could have honestly reported as 'poaching'.

NOW one time I DID come upon a couple dead elk that obviously had been poached as it was out of season and the antlers had been cut off but nothing I witnessed and several days past.

I called the FS but they were already aware of salmonn
Actually, the game warden was assuming I camped within sight of the dirt road, which I was, at least in this area. That is, I could see a truck going down the road at night, though it wouldn't see me. I would see any would-be poachers who drove down the road at night, using their headlights to both see and spotlight deer. Deer was the major game mammal poached. And the main way people poached deer was driving around at night, freezing the deer in the vehicle headlights or an actual spotlight, shooting it, tossing it in the vehicle, and heading for home. I knew a good number of poachers. All but one locals. Basically, they rejected the premise that the state owned or had a right to control access to the deer. "To he'll with that. Whose crops they eat? Who has to fence them out?" Most of them viewed the hunting and fishing laws as illegitimately designed to benefit city dwellers at the expense of rural residents. They try to keep the population of deer artificially high to benefit city people, meaning its hard to even graze cattle on your land because of the deer. And the property owner isn't allowed to kill the female deer at all. Or any deer except usually males, and only during a limited season.

I knew several poachers in the Alsea area. They took deer by spotlighting. Chinook salmon and steelhead in summer runs up close to the breeding grounds by shooting or using a pitchfork. I caught one steelhead poacher in the act by accident, praised the fish, said, "Were those two shots yours? Boy, thats a beauty! A lotta guys talk about shooting fish, but when I ask them about it it turns out that they hit the fish, but it swims away. They never recover the fish. How do you do that?" I got him to tell me all his tricks. You need water only a foot deep or less. You have to correct for the refraction of light. Angle too shallow and correction is too great to be accurate, and bullet may defect off surface of water. Takes two shots. .22 handgun is all this guy was using. Point of aim is Not the head. Fish will swim away. Point of aim is the air bladder. Basically the neck. Hit that and the fish spasms and floats belly up. Second shot also in swim bladder. But this time fish is right at the surface. Fish floats belly up. You jump in the water and grab fish around narrow part of the tail. This guy was taking fish right out of the breeding area. However just one fish, dinner for that day. The fish were in great shape even though they were in their breeding area because its not a very long or hard trip for steelhead to get from the ocean to this breeding area. I was already familiar with this breeding area, had spent a lot of time there watching the steelhead spawn.

Most of the other poachers I ran into in the woods off trail and struck up a conversation. I was interested in poaching in case a shtf ever happened. So I gathered info about poaching just like I read info about how native Americans trapped salmon.

My favorite poacher was a guy who had been a Sheriff's deputy elsewhere. When I knew him he was a private citizen. So he knew how to poach, how to catch poachers, and how most poachers get caught. He took eight deer a year to feed his family. He and his wife bought two tags and took two of the deer legally, though sometimes he shot both of them. The other 6 were as needed. He and his wife would go out in daylight, shoot a deer. Drag it outta sight , dress it out and take only the meat. Leave entrails, head, hooves, guts. He said that LE was looking for whole carcasses. It was a lot easier to get the deer home undiscovered if it was a neat little package. And take water along so you can clean your knife thoroughly after butchering deer. He said one of the main ways people in Alsea would get caught is by letting their kids know. Kids would go to school and brag that their daddy just took an illegal deer. So pretty soon all the kids know, then all their parents. And in Alsea Valley, families are divided about whether or not poaching is wrong. So if everyone knows you poach that likely includes some who will report it. And then LE has probable cause to search your freezer. And if you have an eight legged deer, or a female or mix of females and males when you should only have a male, its gonna be obvious.

While people in Alsea were divided as to whether poaching was wrong, and if so, how wrong, one thing they agreed on was wasting meat was wrong. Most, maybe all would have reported a hunter or poacher who just took the antlers and/or backstrap, for example.

By the way, the holes I referred to in post 114 that I queried the game warden about were made by mountain beavers, small mostly nocturnal rodents up to about two pounds whose heads are a bit reminiscent of beavers. But they have short tails and are more closely related to squirrels than beavers. They live in rain forests of or, ca, and wa. So no wonder I didn't recognize their burrows since my experience up until then was in woods and swamps in Florida, Ga, Al, NY and woods and bogs in N Minnesota. (A bog is a swamp but colder and with no alligators.)
We call 'em "Boomers".
They are very reclusive. I've seen two in my life and parts of our property are covered in their holes.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top