JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well....Told the wife a couple of weeks ago we should get her a gun that's "Fun" to shoot, response was sort of "How many guns do we need, or do we need more guns really?" She's got a SP101 and a three month old LC9. Both are good, small, and consealable, but a bit difficult to get good with it seems. I don't carry but shoot with a SR9c that I have become VERY fond of, and it's very accurate (If I can get a decent group at 30' I know it's acurrate). She used that SR9c to do the 8 hour class at the PSTC and did quite well for a newbie.

Yesterday we went to fondle some firearms. After all the talk of Glock I thought there might be a glock that's the right size, similar to the SR9c. Nothing felt all that great, or spoke to her and we were about to leave when.....A clearance tag!! Wifey's a sucker for a clearance tag. She's a natural blonde through and through, she's got a special radar that homes in on clearance signs clear across a store! She missed this one untill the very last though.

I didn't say yeah or nay, just stood there and chuckled.....Now she has a gun that should be fun to shoot, not too big and not to small, and should be (For more money than we were looking to spend) very accurate.

So, who's got experience with the P239, or no experience but an opinion, on any Sig Sauer, on any Swiss based gun, on decockers, on 357sig, on Newhampshire.....

I'm listening.

Mike

I have a 239 in .40 and it is a very nice pistol ! Mine came without the short reset trigger and when that was installed it made it that much better . The Sigs are quality pistols and very accurate . I mostly shoot 1911 platform but very easily adjusted to the DA/SA decocker platform .

I have a P239, in 357sig. I love it. It is my carry weapon. Granted, 357sig is no plinking round, so just be aware the ammo can be expensive. I enjoy shooting the P239, straight and true. Have never had an issue with it. I also have a P220 in 9mm, and I like that too.(however having a single stack 9mm is a pain) The only time I had an issue with the P220 was when I put bad ammo through it. As for the decocker...never had an issue. I like Sigs because they fit my hands and are comfortable to me.

Don't ignore the double stacked cousin, the P229. About the same size as the P239, but can carry 15rds in 9mm, or 12rds in 40sw or 357Sig. Will take P226 mags too "as is", and Beretta 92FS mags with a couple mods.

Sigs are amazing handguns. I have 3, well I used to have 3. My wife has decided my P226 Platinum elite now belongs to her! It's a .40, but I have a 9mm conversion barrel that she loves to shoot. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot a P239, but everyone I've talked to that owned one felt their 239 was one of their favorite guns. Happy shooting and congrats on the new gun.

I have the P239 in both .40 and 9mm. Wasn't so sure I'd like the 9mm as I got out of 9's years ago, but shooting at the indoor range is good in bad weather.
Absolutely great pistol design. The ONLY thing I think is a positive addition: a set of Hogue grips. They are great.

+1 Sig in general, and you just can't go wrong with a 239. It's slightly smaller and more concealable than the double stack models. I got rid of mine only because I got a 229 and couldn't see needing both. I really like exposed hammers and the decocker is Sig's best feature in my opinion. The added weight over a Glock or LC9 makes it an absolute pleasure to shoot 9mm. They also have excellent resale value compared to some other stuff on the market.

Thanks all...
How lucky we are, wifey picks up a new gun one day and gets to shoot it the next, doesn't always work that way living in the city. She really likes it, shooting in the SA mode the trigger pull is real close to my Kimber .45, which she loves but can't reach the slide lock properly, and of course it's a behemoth in her smaller hands. The first pull being in DA if you use the decocker is much better than the DAO pocket pistols. As mentioned above the weight of the pistol makes it real easy as far as recoil goes. It's a pain in the palm IMO shooting pistols like the LC9, they bite.

Civilian75....Double stack would always be my choice, as in my SR9c, it makes no sense to have to reload after so few shots. If there's room for the extra they ought to put them in. Like I said in the original post it was a one of a kind/only Sig in the case. Had it been the 229...well. This could get bad $$$! I/we will certainly be looking at Sig's now that we own one on those days we go "A fondling".

She's going to need to refine something when she shoots and/or do a lot more shooting, she doesn't group well, might have to take another class to figure out what's happening. We usually shoot outdoors and set up a box with a target taped to it at about thirty feet. We were shooting indoors(a first for us) and fifty feet was IT. I'll go out to 50' when I shoot the full size Kimber .45 and do decent but for some reason 50' is tough with the smaller guns, but that's what we'll learn to deal with!

Thanks again for all the input, and I'm still listening....

Liking this site!
Mike

Get those Hogue GRIPS! You won't believe how much difference a proper hold(grip) makes in group size!

Christmas is comin'! I saw a set of those Hogue's on a video of the 239, looked a little "Fat" or something. Probably real comfy, but the stock grips don't bother my hands and there's a certain "Cool Factor" to the Sig Sauer on one side and P239 on the other.....
Wierd at times, I know, but it is the wifes gun so I will look into them.

Mike

Two additional things you can do to your Sig, if so inclined, to improve the trigger (especially the DA):
1. Dry fire it a lot (~1000) before your next visit to the range. Take it apart, and re-lube, the trigger contact areas.
2. If not using for carry, get a weaker Wolff hammer spring. I have the weakest on mine, and then I took off about a quarter of a loop. DA feels almost as smooth as SA. Warning: light strikes may occur; do at your own risk. I have not had any in hundreds of rounds, though.

Dry firing the SA also helps but it takes more work than DA, and besides, it is pretty light as it is, ain't it?

Also, after you get your Hogue grips, have your wifey dry fire the gun while pointing at a small target (1" dia) in the wall from 7yds, preferably a red dot. Watch for muzzle movement. It is cheap and you can do as often as you want. I'd recommend you stick the red dot to a steel plate, in case of a negligent discharge.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top