JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Every once in a while I run across a nice Smith & Wesson revolver with some sort of coloring in the lettering. I have seen white, gold, and yellow colors. To me it detracts from the otherwise nice blueing. Anybody have a good way to remove the color without harming the finish?
Here is a pic harvested from the interwebs describing the coloring.... gold lettering.jpg

Often lacquer paint is used for color in lettering, use acetone (nail polish remover) or MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) to remove. Wear gloves especially with MEK. If not familiar with removing paint (nail polish) ask your wife or girlfriend for help. I would suggest not having them both help at the same time, if you do you really should insure no ammo is present.:oops:

MEK isn't going to hurt blued steel, it will need oiling afterwards as the solvent will remove the existing oil.
Wood finishes, many aluminum finishes, plastic, paint, etc. may all be damaged by solvents.

When using solvents for cleaning we usually use the weakest solvent that will do the job. Starting with alcohol, than acetone, than MEK, etc. Try to minimize your exposure to these chemicals some of them have nasty side effects.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads