JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It means I'm skipping the QD tactical pic mount electric pasta fork and only putting the things I need on the rifle. Low drag also means minimizing things that easily snag which always happens at the worst possible time.

Rebuilding these rifles with a lot of thought reduced their weight considerably and greatly improved handling. Ounces add up.
So no suppressor l take it? Lol.

None of this build makes sense to me. Haha.

But I guess it really doesn't matter. It's your build not mine.

So you want it light, streamlined, and durable? Arisaka 600 series and be done with it. Includes your choice of handmade Malkoff head.

Protac: decent Chinese light with cheap mount. The included switches are trash.
Surefire: U.S. and Chinese components, not worth $300+ for the new gen models. Great switches though
Modlite: too nerdy for me
Cloud Defensive: way heavier than you'd like
Inforce: cool looking, don't drop it

If you don't mind a foreign-built light, you could also pick up an Armytek Dobermann. They're excellent lights for the money and mine has been reliable while flying around the inside of my quad for several years. You can get WML mounts for them.

I've done a lot of research over the last few days on forums, YT vids, and articles on Inforce. A summary of what I have found:
  • The first gen WML had issues with the polymer body cracking near the lens area.

• The second gen WML/WMLx fixed this issue by using a glass reinforced polymer that was also thicker. At that time light intensity was increased so metal sections were added to the lens housing to promote cooling since polymer sucks at this. The new housing material is essentially the same stuff used in many pistol frames like Glock and M&P.

• The second gen was still vulnerable to cracking in the mount clamp when used in extremely cold weather. . We are talking sub zero (think the Dakotas and Minnesota) where many other products fail for various reasons.

• The Third gen (near release) resolves these issues by using an aluminum mount clamp and additionally increases illumination which is better cooled by an all alloy lens housing.

• The electronics (switches, LED's, etc.) do not show up in discussions about reliability issues. This is not to say that they don't fail as all things can regardless of manufacturer, just that it's not considered an issue.
I'm going to wait for the third gen to be released to get the extra light output and more robust clamp since it's the same price and use my current gen 2 on one of the rifles until then.

It's been pretty difficult separating fact from fiction on this particular topic since many reviewers are paid product promoters that tell you whatever rainbows and unicorn story to increase their own revenue and most people with opinions are repeating the same thing they heard somewhere else without any personal experience.

This video goes into the gen 1 breakage issues near the end and also has some anecdotal info about usage in combat with the gen 1.

This one goes into the cold weather failure. This reviewer seems very credible and beyond the cold weather polymer breakage didn't like the beam pattern, but the pattern to me when used in and around my home seems very effective. Some people like spill and others don't want any, it's really just environment and preference.

My primary AR I have an Elzetta Design light have a use a ZFH1500. I bought this light years ago now. I have cheaper Protac Railmount for my backpack AR.

https://elzetta.com/product/elzetta-rifle-illumination-kit/

Elzetta has other light mounts as well but I do not have a bayonet so I am using this WML instead.

You said price was an issue so I did post the one for my primary AR.

My primary AR I have an Elzetta Design light have a use a ZFH1500. I bought this light years ago now. I have cheaper Protac Railmount for my backpack AR.

https://elzetta.com/product/elzetta-rifle-illumination-kit/

Elzetta has other light mounts as well but I do not have a bayonet so I am using this WML instead.

You said price was an issue so I did post the one for my primary AR.
Thanks for the info! I love running across all these cool products and companies!

Price is an issue in that I don't want to pay much more than the utility value of the light. I also don't want gear so expensive it's hard to justify replacing. I don't buy firearms or their accessories with the intention of resale, so name brand has no real value for me.

Thanks for the info! I love running across all these cool products and companies!

Price is an issue in that I don't want to pay much more than the utility value of the light. I also don't want gear so expensive it's hard to justify replacing. I don't buy firearms or their accessories with the intention of resale, so name brand has no real value for me.
A wise person once said, "I can't afford to buy cheap."

A wise person once said, "I can't afford to buy cheap."
Always true. I'm not interested in cheap. Inexpensive quality is the ticket for me. I don't need a Bentley to go to the 711 for a six pack when my Ram 1500 will get me there just as well. I've never been into name brands except to support local companies (Leupold, CRKT, Gerber, Warn, etc.) where I'm willing to show my local pride.

I assess each component for what it is and not what it is supposed to be or what others think it is. I frequently find things that are supposedly junk and turn out to be excellent and even more frequently the reverse. Weapon lights are a fairly new subject for me so I'm not going to make any assumptions but instead research, listen and learn.

I totally get being frugal and get where your coming from but your overthinking this. Expensive gear typically doesnt need replacing. Owning gear with no intention of resale means you want to use it and have it last a lifetime, brand names get their reputation for reasons and if you want something that will last a lifetime and wont have you worrying about replacing then its "buy once cry once" and be done with it.

For a decent, inexpensive, durable light, I'm going for the Streamlight Protac.

I have an older version of that light on my Marlin 336 which has been used to take out a dozen or so coyotes in the dark over the last 5-6 years.

It's not going to war. I'm not dragging it through the desert. I'm not using it every single day. I'm not jumping out of airplanes with it. But when I have had to use it, it's always worked. It stays put and has done its job: illuminate the subject.

Mine came with a USB built-in rechargeable 18650.

That said, the Modlite on my SFAR is much lighter and throws a more concentrated beam much farther. It was twice the cost though.

I'll just leave this here.

It's a joke…… Chill.

I actually prefer Surefire on my pistols and Cloud Defensive on my rifles.

IMG_3676.jpeg

Last Edited:
Woah! That chart is amazing!

You finally learned that crayons can be used for more than just food!
I need to go back and color in the boxes though. Staying in the lines is tough….. if I don't eat them first.

Great Pyramid of Light Fanbois worshipers rejoice!

1700096044163.png
Doing some mock ups with my existing WMLx trying to get it to work with my preferred grip makes it a no-go. I use a C clamp and want the button to be near my thumb, so I tried it with a 45 degree offset mount, and the mount base interferes with my front BUIS unless I back it off a M-LOK slot towards the reciever, which shortens my grip length. Doable with the 14.5" 5.56 upper, but the 10.5" upper is just not comfortable.

I want these rifles to use the exact same gear so there is no hesitation under duress if I need either for self defense. I'm going to use the ergonomically similar Streamlight TMR RM2. Because of it's aluminum construction the mount area is much slimmer, so I can position it where I want. The non laser version w/o pressure tape (which I don't want) is about the same price.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top