JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Over the winter I was able to amass a wide variety of 22lr ammo to compare. In search of good quality low cost -- less than $10 a box.

I shot 15 brands across 4 rifles.
Price.jpg

Results with plenty of pictures can be seen here
22 Ammo Testing

Hi Mr Revolverguy,

I'm a .22LR fan myself, mostly a paper puncher. My own personal unscientific survey basically came to the same conclusion. The CCI Standard Velocity gives about the best results for the price.

I run the standard velocity thru my 10/22 no problem but, it is well broken-in and cycles easily. A new 10/22 may have issues with this ammo.

The only problem is the CCI SV is not always available and so you have to be on the look out for it. The stuff pops up locally from time to time and so I have to check weekly at the sporting good stores.

Hopefully not everyone will read these post and discover our little secret! :D

B.V.E.

Yeah now you make me want to take the post down :D, because my local had bricks of the CCI SV. But thats only because as I understand it CCI was shipping a very large shipment out over the next 30 days so be on the lookout.

My Kidd 10/22 cycled the ammo fine also but it did from day 1 without break-in.

You know what has me curious now is the lube on the cases and bullets. Because the Winchester ammo was absolutely dry which didn't seem to fair to well but next in line was CCI SV. All the others were covered in lube or wax, which makes me want to know the science behind it. One brand had so much wax on the bullets they looked a little yellow from the wax.

I enjoyed the test so much I took a really old Marlin 81DL no serial number, so it was made before this was a law and gave it a try. I will be posting the results this morning. SO will CCI reign king in the old Marlin also?;)

Pandaz3,

What ammo do you have on hand just curious? Thought I covered a wide bases but again this is what's available to me locally. I did not order anything online. I wanted it to be what I could just walk in and get.

I'm following this thread as I find it interesting that some folks have a choice. Having just started shooting in the midst of the "shortage," the best training ammo has been whatever I could lay my hands on. Of course, there has a variety trickling in, so I have noticed a difference in brands and types. After experiencing a couple FTE's a trip for a couple of months, my 10/22 must have broken in as it's been flawless lately no matter what I feed it. It's been good training on clearing the weapon. Only in the last month, I've been somewhere twice where I was presented with a choice. I went with the bulk box of Federal Match as it seems to hit my sweet spot of economical yet good quality. The point of training is repetition, so when presented with a choice, I'm going with the most I can get at the best price.

Pandaz3,

What ammo do you have on hand just curious? Thought I covered a wide bases but again this is what's available to me locally. I did not order anything online. I wanted it to be what I could just walk in and get.
Sorry I was out of pocket for a while
I have a little bit of
Winchester T-22, a lead round nose 40 grain target bullet according to the box.
CCI Standard Velocity (As you described)
CCI "Green Tag" a 40 grain lead round nose Competition. (Who knows why its "Green Tag")

I have some CCI Stinger which has a 32 grain copper plated hollow point and a muzzle velocity stated as 1640 FPS. most other LR velocity ranges from 1050 to 1200 or there about.

I have in bulk
CCI "Mini Mag" a 36 grain copper plated HP
American Eagle High velocity 40 grain solid lead nose
Remington "Golden Bullet" brass plated 36 grain HP
Federal Champion high velocity 36 grain copper plated HP... bricks, but one 325 round nitrogen filled can
Federal Premium Target 40 grain solid ......... not to be confused with
Federal Target Grade Performance, also a 40 grain solid

I need more, as soon as the Warden discovers .22, I will be in trouble keeping the inventory up,

One of those I have is supposed to be optimized for automatics, but I forget which one.

mcfoto I understand your pain. I do not understand why certain regions have different brands. For example for me I have not seen any bulk box Federal, Blazer. American Eagle or even cheap golden bullets from Remington has been available for over two years. And it use to be all my stores carried now they are carrying the stuff I have in my article, maybe it's just whatever they can get their hands on.

Also keep in mind the ammo included in this review has been purchased 1 box at a time over like 6 months.

That is what the label on the plastic box said. I was thinking lead to be a non-green item too, but who knows the how or why of .22 LR Labeling.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top