JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What about the 70gr Barnes TSX? Probably go with something like that. The 22-250 can kill impressively though seen somebody kill a elk with one and seen it used for problem deer. And all they used was Remington Express ammo. Not sure of the load.

As long as it will stabilize with the twist rate of your rifle, the 70gr barnes would be an excellent choice. If not, the 53gr tsx would also make sense if that stabilizes better.

If you're shooting a big critter with a .22-250 you want to shoot the heaviest bullet you can find going as fast as you can make it go. I have seen 223 loads for 77 gr Sierra MK, 24.1 gr Reloader 15 at 2600 fps or 80 gr Sierra MK w/24.4 g Varget at 2800 fps. Problem is to shoot these heavier bullets you need a rifling twist slower than that commonly found in factory made bolt action.22-250 (or .223) rifles. Semi auto .223 is different. Many will shoot these heavier bullets given the slower rifling commonly found in these guns (ARs). But with bolt action rifles in .22-250 your rifling may limit you to bullets weighing </=60/ grains.

OP. You'ver had some good advice. I had a Rem HB Varminter in 22-250. Shot all through Australia with it. Problem is it is a Varmint gun. 1: 14. Twist rate... So it takes 14 inches of your barrel length to turn the bullet once to get it spiraling so it travels straight like a foot ball pass. This is great for shooting Varmints. 45. 50. & 52 grain projectiles, NOT heavier. I would not shoot a bear with a .224 anything. You'd need a real good exit strategy, and in Wa & Or. You'd be breaking the law for using too small a caliber. Get a bigger caliber, keep it legal & possibly save your life! Bears are tough. -.:+ A1

;)

Gotta say, no offense intended of course, I think it would be unethical to shoot at a bear with a caliber that small. I do not think regardless of what bullet size you run, that its going to be a clean kill with anything less than a absolutely perfect shot. And those shots are often more than difficult in field conditions.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top