JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It is enough to make you cry, but I am in possession of a first year, 4 digit serial number 1892 in .38-40 that is beautiful.

Unfortunately Bubba got to it at some point and cut a large notch in the bolt by the hammer, I assume to put in some kind of sight. It cycles, and supposedly shoots. Worse still is he drilled two holes on the left side of the receiver and drilled out the hole for the screw that holds the bolt pin in place. So if you shoot it yo have to keep tapping the bolt pin back in pace.

I had an experienced gunsmith tell me it wasn't worth fixing and sell it for parts. But I'm stubborn.

I know it isn't worth what I paid for it, but I would like to at least make it a shooter. My questions are -- can any bolt of the period be used or must it be a replacement in the same caliber? I can get an 1890's vintage bolt from a 44-40 rifle reasonably priced. My second question is: Can a good gunsmith make screws for the odd shaped tapped holes to fill them in or is the wall of the receiver too thin? Would it be easier to just try to find another receiver somewhere? Again, does it have to be caliber-specific?

I obviously don't know anything about Winchesters, and it was an expensive-lesson impulse buy. Advice needed and appreciated.

You need to ask these same questions on the Winchester Collectors Forum. Photos will help. These are the guys who write the collectors magazine articles and beautiful coffee table books on Winchesters collectively they know everything that is known about these rifles.

<broken link removed>
I did not know of them.
Good idea. Thank you.

Well it took about a year. Without Tony's help I never would have found a bolt with correct patina. Thanks Tony! On ebay I found an original, correct early peep sight in great shape. The ivory front bed had to be replaced as it was too mall for the rear sight. The buckhorn sight in the rear was from an 1873, so I traded it for some gunsmithing work. I had a blank put in the rear dovetail. The holes bubba put in the receiver were given new screws that were aged. All buggered screws externally and internally, where possible, were replaced with period correct screws in good shape.

The stock I cleaned and waxed. The action was cleaned by the smith. I cleaned the bore. Chunks of lead and grime came out for days -- I put it down and worked on it over time. Some minor pitting but grooves and lands are shiny and very good.

She shoots straight and is purdy. Photos to follow.

:)

1892 action.jpg 1892 left stock.jpg 1892 right stock.jpg 1892 full length.jpg 1892 left barrel.jpg 1892 right side.jpg 1892 left receiver.jpg

1892 action.jpg

1892 left receiver.jpg

1892 left stock.jpg

1892 right stock.jpg

1892 full length.jpg

1892 left barrel.jpg

1892 right side.jpg

The reloading tools are original, and I made up a black powder cartridge with FFG that fired. All in all a rewarding and sometimes frustrating project.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top