JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
... I have a way to carry this dandy $900 horse pistol, uhm snake gun. It's a suede leather fanny pack from this link:

Amazon.com : LARGE - Concealed Carry Fanny Pack RUGGED ULTRA-SOFT SUEDE LEATHER-Brown : Sports & Outdoors by an outfit called DTOM, Don't Tread on Me.

What do people here think?

Here is the pretty new snake gun in her deluxe factory case:

I sent this email message as follows to the DTOM fanny pack vendor:

Dear Sirs:

I just received my new fanny pack from amazon.com and below is the link referencing it:
LARGE - Concealed Carry Fanny Pack RUGGED ULTRA-SOFT SUEDE LEATHER-Brown

Now here are some pros, questions, ideas and cons of mine:

PROS

1. available DTOM belt extenders for people of large girth as myself: I found I only need one of those belt extenders but I ordered two for good measure: I have a 59" girth
2. the double zippered opening with pull cord: I just hate the velcro enclosure that DeSantis Gunny Sacks have which is almost impossible for my non-firing hand to grip and tear open to draw the gun
3. the elastic bands inside seem to hold my new-model Colt's King Cobra medium-frame .357 mag. revolver snug as a bug in a rug; the pistol has a 3" barrel and seems to fit the fanny pack virtually perfectly as the gun is 8" x 5" overall; the wide girth of the revolver's 6-shot cylinder gives an extra secure fit inthe elastic band; some people reviewing on amazon.com were complaining that the elastic band may stretch with age and the slimmer auto pistols might accidentally slip out and drop

CONS

1. the small rip cord to draw the gun does take some practice to master; grabbing it too quickly may cause the cord to slip out of the non-firing hand or grasp one or more zippers causing a failed pack opening attempt: it is easier to open by looking down at the pull cord and grabbing it more slowly and deliberately
2. I used a piece of string to tie up the unused pull cord in the other corner as I am right-handed but pull the pack open with my left hand; I did not want the plastic knob of the unused pull cord to be hitting my gun's mirror-shine stainless barrel perhaps wearing the finish in that part over time; I guess if I were to keep the pack long enough beyond returning it, I could eventually cut the unused draw cord off completely with scissors
3. I still have to wear second nylon fanny pack for all my other personal items; I use this gun fanny pack for the gun, extra ammo and gun cloth to wipe gun down only

IDEAS FOR PRODUCT IMPROVEMENT

1. in addition to leather offerings, offer a pack in a similar design to this but constructed in tough machine-washable nylon as opposed to leather; I fear that wet weather will damage the leather; is the leather on this pack treated for rain protection or do I need to spray on a water-protection product like Scotchgard or Camp Dry by Kiwi?
2. perhaps also offer weatherproofed leather packs in addition to nylon ones; offer the universal goes-with-everything black as well as brown for colors
3. have some tactical label to easily attach to the font of the pack or an embroidered patch in front of the pack to deceive the general public; I plan to attach a custom red/white patch to the front of my gun pack reading "Medical Supplies" for security reasons; the general public might think I carry diabetic supplies, a first-aid kit or something in the pack and the deceptive label should steer their mind away from the possibility of a gun

About the remark regarding carrying a handgun with an empty chamber on the included instructions sheet (please see attached copy).

I suppose that pertains to auto pistols and not revolvers. In theory one would have to also rack the slide upon drawing an auto in an emergency situation. This is where the more-compact-than-full-size double-action revolver shines. The modern d/a revolver is inherently much safer for a non-law-officer citizen to carry, train with, practice with and operate by virtue of its design. All six chambers can be safely loaded with the hammer in a non-cocked position for lawful concealed carry. The mechanical transfer bar designed into the firearm will prevent accidental discharge in case the gun is dropped or the hammer receives a hard blow. The heavy trigger pull is virtually impossible to cause an accidental firing simply by holstering the gun (muzzle pointed in safe direction) and drawing it properly with fingers clear of the trigger guard. There is nothing to confuse in a hurry with time-honored safe, simple and reliable old double-action revolver. I agree that fanny pack holstering and quick-drawing should be practiced only with an EMPTY firearm or one with snap caps or dummy ammo.

Sincerely,
John P. Coltdude
DTOM Customer

Last Edited:
Another great option, and a high quality one, is something from Hill People Gear:

I looked at their Belt Pack, $115. I'm not sure if the belt is long enough to phit phat pholks. I don't like the notion of leaving the gun compartment partially unzipped. I like the pull cord in the corner better. They purposely are not calling it a "fanny pack". It's bit pricey to boot.

I also ordered one of these rifle sling pads from amazon for the belt on my gun's fanny pack so the belt and it's rear extension buckle and length adjuster doesn't dig into my body under the gun's weight.

Amazon.com: Depring 2 inch Shoulder Strap Pad Removable Cushion Replacement for Rifle Shotgun Sling Bag Strap (Black): Clothing

They make all kinds of belt, webbing and strap pads like this for carrying gear more comfortably on the human body. These various pads can be used for:

-gym bags
-shoulder straps on backpacks
-long gun slings
-camera bags
-guitars
-waist belts for packs
-car seat belts
-banjos

Last Edited:
Is there a reason you don't want to holster it? I'm not a fan of Fanny packs along with off-body carry in general. Let us know how you like it once you've got some more practice under your belt. Or fanny.

Okay. So. Where exactly are you wearing it? Your measurement seems to indicate a belly wear/high waisted wear? I realize off body wear is a no-no in most situations, but it sounds like you are similar in girth to me; and that is a difficult thing to find for gear that fits waists or belts. As an aside; I wear my belt and pants low, since if I wear them high, when I sit, the pants roll down or squeeze the beejesus out of my beer keg gut; ending up looking like the Michelin Man. I loathe pant suspenders. Gear suspenders, sure, fine with me. FYI, underneath my belly, at my trouser level, I wear size 44 pants and 44-48 belts. But I wear the belt offset so that the buckle doesn't pinch into my gut :rolleyes: yes I am working on getting the gut smaller bit by bit.

Edit. I would think something somewhat unconventional would work better.. say, a cummerbund/girdle belt with pouches sewn to it and in nonoffensive color schemes...

I use the fanny pack number one, for handgun concealment and number two, any other concealed on-person carry method is downright painful for my body. Number three is that I dress thinly in warm weather as in beach clothes and wear sweat clothes a lot in the winter. I have to take my jacket off in the store so no body holster for me. A Walmart is a great place to carry after that El Paso incident. I have worn fanny packs for years and I actually enjoy them. This unmanly image about fanny packs is pure horse crap. I don't buy into this jazz that fanny packs are sissy-like. Putting the MEDICAL SUPPLIES patch on front of the bag will scream out loud THIS GUY IS A DIABETIC and not THIS GUY HAS A GUN. I won't open carry in a hip holster unless I'm hunting and I'm not a cowboy on a horse. I'm too much of a coward to open carry in town even where legal.

I wear it whenever I feel it's scary or not prudent to be without a gun but legal to carry there.

-outdoors, in the dark, creepy woods! EEEEKK! (we are in the heart of Bigfoot Country)
-dog-waking/hiking/mountain biking in the dark nighttime city parks or on river or bikeway trails
-on trails
-camping
-boating
-fly-fishing
-places where many people gather and "mass shooters" might favor like your local Wally-World

I try to avoid "no-gun zones" at all costs. That King Cobra of mine is normally loaded with .38 Special in urban/suburban areas but .357 Mag. ammo (more potent "snake venom") would be loaded out in Bigfoot Country, wolf country, cougar country or bear country for sure. Sasquatch had better beware of the nasty bite of my "snake".

Last Edited:
Still not quite answering the question. Are you wearing the fanny pack at...
1. Above belly button (high waist)
2. At belly button (waist level/above hips)
3. At hip level (at or below, usually where people wear pants at)
?
Your stated girth measurements seems to indicate either 1 or 2.
If your hips/leg joint area measures 59 inches, that is a far bigger measurement than most people.

.I try to avoid "no-gun zones" at all costs. That King Cobra of mine is normally loaded with .38 Special in urban/suburban areas but .357 Mag. ammo (more potent "snake venom") would be loaded out in Bigfoot Country, wolf country, cougar country or bear country for sure. Sasquatch had better beware of the nasty bite of my "snake".
The bad thing about the .38 special is even the lightweight 130gr jfp range ammo as a benchmark only goes around 700fps. Not nearly fast enough for expansion were it an expandable type.
I carry 110gr +p+ treasury loads or velocity independent lead SWC's in .38's.

Still not quite answering the question. Are you wearing the fanny pack at...
1. Above belly button (high waist)
2. At belly button (waist level/above hips)
3. At hip level (at or below, usually where people wear pants at)
?
Your stated girth measurements seems to indicate either 1 or 2.
If your hips/leg joint area measures 59 inches, that is a far bigger measurement than most people.

Sorry, I guess I didn't follow. I thought you said WHERE as on a map. To be honest with you, I don't know exactly where the pack is on my body. The pack tends to be on or near my left hip out of the way when I drive the car. I'm 59" at the navel with a tape.

The bad thing about the .38 special is even the lightweight 130gr jfp range ammo as a benchmark only goes around 700fps. Not nearly fast enough for expansion were it an expandable type.
I carry 110gr +p+ treasury loads or velocity independent lead SWC's in .38's.

Due to this COVID ammo shortage, Freedom Munitions .38 Special (no +P available) was all I could scare up at the time without spending a king's ransom. Here is my current carry ammo: 125 GR Copper-Plated Flat Point REMAN (the 50-shot box is full of brass cartridges with a hodgepodge of headstamps).

Flat Point should give more expansion than round-nose but maybe not as much as hollow-point. The velocity is in excess of 1,000 FPS according to Freedom Munitions specs. I have a 3" barrel, though, and the snake gun is chambered for .357 Mag meaning a bullet jump from chamber to forcing cone. Freedom Munition calls these loads General Purpose rounds. I guess it still beats a can of mace, a baseball bat or even rimfire ammo in dangerous situations.

Jack Ruby summarily killed Lee Harvey Oswald with a single gut-shot of .38 Special from an old-model Colt Cobra revolver. I don't know the loading specifications of that particular assassination cartridge in late 1963. Police have been packing standard pressure .38 Spc. ever since the hills were born. Ex-police officer Dan White killed SF Mayor Moscone and Supervisor Harvey Milk in late 1978 with a .38 Smith & Wesson.

SPECIFICATIONS
SKUFM38F125R
MANUFACTURERFREEDOM MUNITIONS
CALIBER38 SPECIAL
BULLET PROFILEFLAT POINT
BULLET WEIGHT125 GR
CASING TYPEBRASS
VELOCITY AVG1025 FPS
ACTIVITYGENERAL PURPOSE

In 38spcl. the best carry ammo I've seen is Federal 38 wadcutter HST , a copper jacketed wadcutter. Good review from Chris Baker of Luckygunner ammo tests.

REI sells a great 'zipper' pull; 10 for$7.00 approx.

Maybe a over the shoulder sling pouch, lower tie to belt. I know snatch and grab like a purse. Handy though.

In 38spcl. the best carry ammo I've seen is Federal 38 wadcutter HST , a copper jacketed wadcutter. Good review from Chris Baker of Luckygunner ammo tests.

REI sells a great 'zipper' pull; 10 for$7.00 approx.

Maybe a over the shoulder sling pouch, lower tie to belt. I know snatch and grab like a purse. Handy though.
Probably not bad for a turn of the century .38 but out of a new full-size magnum I'd live on the edge a smidge and splurge on at least +p power levels but that's just me.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top