JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have used Hornady critical defense/duty for quite some years and in several calibers with no issues. There is something going on in the gen 5 chamber that does not allow for the longer duty ammo. It loads, fires, and cycles fine, but press checks are not an option. The roads get wedged in the barrel to such a degree that to work the slide takes some real gusto. This issue only presents itself after 50-100 rounds have been fired and some carbon builds up. I get that the press check is not that big of a deal, but its more what it indicates is happening in the guts that is not awesome. It is getting wedged in the chamber to such a degree that manually cycling the slide can takes way more effort than it should, to me thats a big deal, once i had to put the rear sight on the lip of a bench and push down

I would love the know the total overall length of the Barnes TAC-XPD if anyone has it.

Last Edited:
So it chambers, fires, and cycles?

Your title is very misleading.
yeah should have placed more emphasis on the issue...It is getting wedged in the chamber to such a degree that manually cycling the slide can takes way more effort than it should, to me thats a big deal, once i had to put the rear sight on the lip of a bench and push down

Maybe it's your gun...

I've not seen anyone else complain about that gun/ammo combo.

I would call Glock since they are supposed to produce perfection:p.

I love my gen 3 so I'm just teasing, but I would call them though.

I am sure I am not the first, but I do wonder how many people that run their gun just to get it dirty, then test their defensive ammo rounds. I noticed it only by a fluke and then tested it several times. I even tried different boxes of ammo thinking maybe I got a bad box from Hornandy.

I am sure I am not the first, but I do wonder how many people that run their gun just to get it dirty, then test their defensive ammo rounds. I noticed it only by a fluke and then tested it several times. I even tried different boxes of ammo thinking maybe I got a bad box from Hornandy.
Hornady makes a variety of ammo glocks don't like. I learned my lesson with their steel match. Lost any chance of placing because the cases jammed twice. I threw the rest away, no need to cry over it.

Try some permatex Prussian blue

bob-ross-promojpg.jpg

Press check for what tho? its got the dip LCI extractor and you should be able to see a case if you look between it and the barrel.

Old habits die hard. One of my pistols is a Springfield XD. I don't shoot it much anymore, but I never could bring myself to trust the little piece of steel that sticks up when a round is chambered.

"What if something broke on it and it doesn't engage the case anymore, so a round is chambered when I want it empty?? What if it got stuck in the up position and the chamber is empty when I want it loaded? What if what if WHAT IF?? Ah screw it I'll just check."

Last Edited:
Hornady makes a variety of ammo glocks don't like. I learned my lesson with their steel match. Lost any chance of placing because the cases jammed twice. I threw the rest away, no need to cry over it.
Damn, dont throw that ammo away. You could send it to me. My 3rd gen smith will shoot it o_O

Old habits die hard. One of my pistols is a Springfield XD. I don't shoot it much anymore, but I never could bring myself to trust the little piece of steel that sticks up when a round is chambered.

"What if something broke on it and it doesn't engage the case anymore, so a round is chambered when I want it empty?? What if it got stuck in the up position and the chamber is empty when I want it loaded? What if what if WHAT IF?? Ah screw it I'll just check."
I see those "what if" pistols at our clubs bowling pin shoots. For some reason i just dont feel right about a win after smoking someone, then look over and they are all jammed up. Oh well....

I had a Smith 940 that liked to foul its chambers when I shot light lead loads, a typical range session of 50 to 100 rounds would cause impaired extraction and loading.

My solution was to use a chamber (not bore) brush for cleaning as needed. Insert brush with a twisting action into the chamber without entering the rifling keep twisting same direction as you withdraw it. Don't just shove it in and out, do not enter the rifling with it.

Pro Shot .38 / .357 / 9MM Stainless Steel Bore Brush

If that doesn't help your situation talk to glock or a gunsmith. Or buy a Smith M&P and experence Smith excellence.:cool:

Last Edited:
Maybe it's your gun...

I've not seen anyone else complain about that gun/ammo combo.

I would call Glock since they are supposed to produce perfection:p.

I love my gen 3 so I'm just teasing, but I would call them though.

Love my gen 3 as well... kept it until last week when it died... upgraded (down graded) to a gen 4 sadly.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top