JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The girlfriend has been itching for a KSG shotgun but I'm tired of waiting for them to make one. It's like waiting for the lever action .500 S&W promised by Wild West Guns... :( So I'm thinking about buying a home defense shotgun in 20 gage with pistol grip and short {not NFA} barrel.

Can/should I buy one off the shelf or would I be better off to buy parts and assemble one? Is pump action the best way to go?

I'd buy a Remington 870 pump and put a Speedfeed IV-S stock on it. It has a pistol grip and buttstock an is a shorter LOP, 13". 20ga is just fine for in home defense. For a shotgun, I think Mossbergs are just a little underbuilt, unless it's a 590, but they do work. You won't be sorry with a 870 though. I also would definatly go with a pump over semi-auto for HD, unless you buy something high end in a semi, like a Benelli. I don't think semis are as reliable, and not well suited for HD. I'd buy a 18-20" model with mag tube extention if you can find one, it seems cheaper than parting together.

I've been sizing up the Remington mod 870 Express Tactical to give to the girlfriend for Christmas but it's not available in 20 ga. and I think 12 ga. would be a bit much for her. :(

How big is she? My GF is about 5'6" - 110lbs, and she shoots my 870 Police 12ga pretty easily with 2 3/4" buck and low recoil slugs. Let her practice with cheap birdshot and keep it loaded with some good buckshot. If she ever has to use it, she won't know the difference. Also, I honestly think the Tactical 870 isn't worth the extra cost, unless the looks are worth it to you. A standard 870 HD with an upgraded extractor and a tritium front bead is all you "need". If you do go with an 870, have a smith, or yourself switch out the extractor with a police one. They are machined, not cast, they don't fail.

I've been sizing up the Remington mod 870 Express Tactical to give to the girlfriend for Christmas but it's not available in 20 ga. and I think 12 ga. would be a bit much for her. :(

I bought my wife this 870 20 gage tactical with Knox stock two years ago for our anniversary and she loves it. It was a great deal and there are still some around.

<broken link removed>