JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My buddy loaned me his pistol and asked to see if I can fix the slide release for him.
The safety mechanism which also serves as a lock if you manually open it up and engage it.
It seems to lock open on empty but does not engage the lever to release the slide.

I look it apart, but it does not look like they work that way.
Is it normal to function like that?
Do you have to insert the next magazine and yank the slide to close it.

Please let me know if you have any experience with one of these.
Thanks.
-K

The hi-point is a kludge of other weapon designs that originated around the turn of the century, borrowing from a number of early JMB colt pocket pistols, as well as several european designs including walther and a few others.

The behavior you describe is pretty much the same as many walthers... there is a lifter that is engaged by the magazine follower that locks the slide open. It does not have an external catch like every other pistol made since 1950 does.

Hi point warranty is life time and no questions asked
Send it in they also include a new clip and tee shirt for the inconvenience
From the Hi-point web site

<broken link removed>

Hi-Point offers affordably-priced semi-automatic handguns in a range of the most popular calibers including: 380 ACP, 9mm , 40 S&W, and 45 ACP.
Hi-Point firearms are very popular with recreational target shooters, hunters, campers, law enforcement and anyone seeking an affordable, American-made firearm.
Whichever model you choose, you are assured of reliability and accuracy at an affordable price.
Each is sized to assure a firm, comfortable grip and exceptional recoil control, and includes Hi-Point’s lifetime unconditional warranty. Hi-Point handguns are +P rated and accept all factory ammunition. Additionally, every Hi-Point handgun model features:
3-dot, fully adjustable sights
High-impact grips
FREE trigger lock
Durable, attractive easy-grip finish
Operations & safety sheet
100% American parts & assembly
Last round lock open
Magazine disconnect safety

The hi-point is a kludge of other weapon designs that originated around the turn of the century, borrowing from a number of early JMB colt pocket pistols, as well as several european designs including walther and a few others.

The behavior you describe is pretty much the same as many walthers... there is a lifter that is engaged by the magazine follower that locks the slide open. It does not have an external catch like every other pistol made since 1950 does.

Were to get your information?
These weapons are nothing like you state.

Thanks guys.
It appears to be its normal function, I think my buddy was just confused about its operation as he is used to his Steyr 40.

I couldn't see it working any other way, and it seems to function fine knowing what it takes to make it close.
-K

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads