JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, I'm new to this site. I've looked at it with a friend a few times, and he introduced me to shooting. Which I've decided to make my new hobby. I'm 22, I grew up with guns around all the time which we're for hunting, however, I would like to get a handgun. I'm not sure which brand yet. I hoping that being part of this site I can figure out a gun that would work great for me. :) If you have any advice for a first time gun buyer or anything I'd greatly appreciate it.

Welcome.

My cousin just went through this same ordeal.
A few questions:
Do you want polymer?
Stainless?
Caliber?
Cost?
Semi or revolver?
Then look for one that fits your hand. Get one that is comfortable.

Go to a gun shop and try some out.

I'm not sure...just getting started on the looking. (-: But I'd like something small enough that i could carry it, if I wanted. Most likely a 9mm, that's what most of my buddies shoot. I'm planning on going to the gun show next weekend with a few buddies, so hopefully i'll get more ideas there.

You might want to go to a range that rents a number of different handguns and try a couple out to see what fits your hand and what you shoot well with. It would be a good idea to go with someone who already has a handgun as many ranges will only rent to you if you show up with your own handgun as well. If I recall, there a couple of members on this forum that work for such ranges, maybe they can chime in with some advice.

Welcome to the forum, the smart people here are really nice and have taught me a million things! There are loads of good choices for concealed carry like you know; a couple 9mm I've had that you might also want to check out are the Kahr CW9 and the Ruger SRC9. The Ruger is what I currently carry and it comes with both 10 and 17 round magazines. My wife likes revolvers, and something like a Ruger LCR might bear checking out for CC purposes... though not available in 9mm.

I tend to gravitate between the sublime and the ridiculous as far as carry guns. In the colder months when I can layer clothes I carry a Dan Wesson 1911 CBOB in a Kirkpatrick Leather Texas Strongside OWB holster or a Bianchi bag. In the Summer I mostly carry my Ruger SP101 3" in a Milt Sparks PMK with an untucked oversized Hawaiian or other sport shirt for cover.

I like mine. The only thing I don't like about it is that I can't let the slide back down with my thumb after changing mags, as I can with my Regular Sr9 I have to pull the slide back to chamber the first round. I believe this is cause they had to use a double spring setup to make it work on the compact frame. The more I get used to it it becomes a non issue.

Good luck'
Marty

To start it might be better to get a small cal revolver. It will help you get the hang of shooting a handgun and then you could move up to a larger cal.,
even maybe an simiauto. Don't let the idea of a small cal. revolver make you fill wimpy,
it is always better and safer to start small.When you are not used to a hand gun,even
a small one can seem pretty big.It is always better to be small and safe and confident
than to be large and moncho and clumsy.

I don't have any Ruger semi-auto pistols, but I do have two Ruger revolvers. The thing you will find about Ruger's is that while they aren't the prettiest things in the world, they are built like tanks.

Welcome! Always nice to see other girls on here! :)

Another option to look at is a Kahr PM9. My boyfriend got me one for my birthday last year and I love it! It's lightweight enough that I wouldn't have a problem carrying it. It's pretty small, and has been super reliable for me.

If you wanted to try it out while in the Portland area, I could meet you at Johnson Creek Gun Club and you could try shooting mine. I'm a member there, and can bring guests.

Just let me know :)

Welcome. I'd suggest shooting some (go to a range that lets you rent a few) and see what works best for you. Also go talk to your local gun guys (I recommend Blackwater Tactical in Salem) and get some recommendations as well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top