JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello, I'm newer to guns but plan on getting well acquainted with the ones recently pasted down to me. I have two kids B7 G4 and plan on getting them into hunting. I am a machinist by trade and a drummer in my free time.
Most notable of the guns that were past down to me is a Springfield Armory 30-40 Krag model 1898. This has not been chopped down and is in great condition, it is not the carbine version to the best of my knowledge. Still have a little research to do to find out exactly what it is I have as far as it's origin and it's production use, military or hunting. I plan on using it as a hunting rifle. I was also pasted down a few 22's, 1 single shot for the kids and a long only 22. The old man also gave me a 410, a single shot 12ga. and a pistol grip pump action 12 ga.
In passing I mentioned to him that i was going to be buying a rifle for the kids and a hand gun for myself and get them into shooting then to hunting. He reminded me of the guns he has and told me he'd give me what he had, less his pump action 22 and his 1902 lever action 30-30.
I decided to sign up here to try and become a part of the community. Mainly for education and secondly for events that some of you/organizations may hold. I am looking forward to chatting and learning from the wealth of knowledge that I will find here from you all.
Cheers-

I know a bit about the Krags. If you have a Krag rifle in original condition, the barrel should measure 30" from receiver to muzzle. If it is shorter, it's been cut down. I don't know if you'd want to hunt with a full-size Krag rifle. It's pretty heavy in original trim. But if you do have an original-condition rifle, it can be quite the collector's item. They're getting scarce, since so many have been cut down over the years. You can learn more about what you have here:

http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.org/

If you do have a "collector's" Krag, and you'd rather have a hunting rifle, might I suggest trading yours to a collector? You can probably get a pretty nice sporterized Krag in trade, plus some cash.

Welcome to the forum!

I also am into Krags. I have Poyer's book on them. Put up a pic and a serial number we will get you a little closer to learning what you have.

Welcome to the forum... and more importantly to the shooting community.

Thanks guys. I am not letting go of this rifle. :)
I am the third to have it in my family and my son will be the forth.
Been a while since I've been on a forum. I got to remember what image uploader I use.
It is in really good condition. Thanks for your inputs.
SER 399419

I understand completely about hanging on to the Krag. I have one, too, that would be pretty much the last firearm I'd let go of. Looking forward to some pics of yours.

Just so you know, 30-40 Krag ammo is really hard to get right now. The manufacturers have gone to seasonal-only production of it, and there's none to be had. Supposedly it'll be available in June.

I understand completely about hanging on to the Krag. I have one, too, that would be pretty much the last firearm I'd let go of. Looking forward to some pics of yours.

Just so you know, 30-40 Krag ammo is really hard to get right now. The manufacturers have gone to seasonal-only production of it, and there's none to be had. Supposedly it'll be available in June.

Already reading up on building my own! :)

IMAG0381.jpg

IMAG0382.jpg

The wood is real clean!

IMAG0383.jpg

IMAG0386.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so the Krag has indeed been lightly sporterized.

The stock is cut down, with the forearm sleeve/bayonet lug removed, and the top wood handguard removed. I don't know what length the barrel is, but it looks like it may not have been cut down at all--it looks about 30" long, so you'll get full velocity out of your loads. The Sheard front sight and Redfield rear sights were common "sporter" additions, and the rear battle sight has been removed. You should have a couple of tapped holes in the barrel where it went originally, unless they've been filled in. If they're still there, there's a guy who will sell you Picatinny rails that screw right in there, if you want to mount a long-eye-relief scope or red dot.

Congratulations--that's a nice shooter, with little value to a collector but lots of family history. Enjoy!

That Krag Shoots soo Nice! dead nuts on the sights.
Did some skeet shooting for the first time and did good. Aside from forgetting to cock my single shot 12ga. I was about 10-15 between my single shot and a choked 20ga.. Also, as a second shot, I pulled a hip shot with the pistol grip! Dam that was good times!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top