JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recent member, long time lurker here.
So I got orders for Billings MT.
Not really acquainted/familiar with the area. Can anybody provide me some intel on Billings?
Looks like I'll be up there for a minimum of 3 years.
Any suggestions where I can find a decent place to stay? I'm currently stationed in VT and I live 40 away from the base. I don't mind driving 30-45 minutes to get to Billings.
I was hoping to find a place away from too many people and establishments. A quiet laid back place. I have trouble dealing with crowds and traffic.
Any input/suggestions will really help. I check in to Billings by 30 September so I'm really in need of good intel.
Thank you.

V/R
HM2 Jaime Ferrer USN

Welcome and have fun with your Billings stay. Maybe you'll get to see Yellowstone with free time. Watch out for super volcano and avoid selfies by steam vents and boiling puddles of water:)

Hello,

Welcome to the forum!

I do not know much about Billings. I live on the other side of the Continental Divide and we may move further north or 'away'.

I am a transplant to Montana and a remarried widow to a MT born and raised man.

I can ask my husband for some suggestions if that will help you but I am sure things have changed greatly in SMALL and large towns not even counting super rural areas in the boonies since he used to travel all over the state for his work for a time frame. He is retired now.

I have seen things change in rural areas, small towns, and in college towns aka larger cities since I moved here too. He has seen the changes in 20 to LESS years himself and so did his family and friends who have been here for a several generations.

If you ever get to this side of the state (Western.) and want to shoot at a really nice range - try this out:

Western Montana Fish & Game Association - The WMFG is a membership based organization that privately owns and operates the Deer Creek Shooting Center in East Missoula Montana

We belong to Western Montana Fish and Game Association aka Deer Creek.

We have Deep Creek Range but I have not personally shot there. My husband has shot there in the past.

Yellowstone is nice when the tourist season ends.

Livingston, MT is close to Yellowstone National Park. We have friends who live there too.

Livingston's one sweet restaurant (The Stockman - great steaks!) closed up totally due to the VIRUS (!) garbage and many other good places and businesses have been harmed drastically too. OUT of business or going out of business ALL across this state.

A ton of tourist places, regular Montana events (Baseball games, rallies, running events, fairs, swimming pools, etc.) and recreation places on Federal, State and Local lands have been CLOSED, events are not going to be held this year and/or they are not opening up with all facilities open.

Glacier National Park is the same way. Wonderful!

We know many off the beaten path places but that most likely belongs in another section on this forum. We are NOT into crowds and most tourist type places ourselves.

I did an internet search on Google - TOWNS close to Billings, Montana and got a list of them but I have NO clue what is good or bad there. I have heard a few of the town names listed on my search.

Some places in MT and in many other states have cabins for rent on private ranches and they actually LIKE to have a reliable person stay there during the cold months too. Been there - done that myself. (Camped and stayed in a tiny log cabin too.) You may want to check that out on some internet search too.

Check out the newspapers online for Billings too. Check out CITY DATA too.

As another member asked you... do you shoot? What are your favorite firearms?

Best wishes to you.

Sincerely,

Old Lady Cate
PS: Thank you for your service. My late husband was a Vietnam Veteran.

PS: I would CALL some of the people stationed at your new duty station and ASK them for some advice or a source to check out too.

I don't know if property management places would be able to help you a lot outside of Billings but I would call them and if they could not help you - ask some real estate people in the towns listed within so many miles from Billings that you find on a Google internet search.

My late husband and I used to drive one hour - one way to our different jobs in blizzard country, another state, and it can be done if you choose to live in the boonies or even close to or in a tiny village FAR away from a smaller city. You do NEED a reliable truck or car or suv though. He did that DRIVE for over 30 years. I did that long drive until I became self employed down the road.

Cate

Last Edited:
It is usual for your new duty station to SEND you an information pack that tells you most everything you could possibly need to know. Unless things have changed mightily since I left, the base families officer and his or her team is responsible for this.

Even when I was TDY'ing on a US base - I was in the British Army, BTW - I got all the gen with my 'cut of orders', called notice of posting over here. They seemed to cover everything it was possible to need to know about the base and its place in the local area.

Just a not-too-subtle hint from a biased owner/shooter - get some Swiss stuff. The definitive manufacturing base for all things Swiss by way of accessories and sights and so on is Swiss Products, based in Kalispell. Take a look at their website and you'll see what I mean. I've been shooting Swiss stuff since I started at school on a vacation in Switzerland - now just under sixty years ago!!! How flime ties, eh?

If you DO make your number with Latigo St Marie - the boss there, or his dad, Piérre - the HWMBO - tell them I sent you. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top