JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was drawn in for the NFA weapons discussions on suppressors but I have found many other discussions helpful and friendly. I am very fond of my SS Sparrow suppressor on my MKIII 22/45 Lite. it seemed a bit useless on my rifle due to the sonic crack. I really don't need ear protection from a .22 rifle anyway. I wear very expensive hearing aids and putting on ear protection and removing it with hearing aids is a real bother. So, with pistols, a silencer makes sense. What fun it has turned out to be.

I dropped from hunting a couple of years ago due the convoluted laws and regs and the related expenses here in Colorado. It just simply took the fun out of hunting. I hail from Alabama (1969 - 2005) ages 16-52 where I purchased a hunting license for $18.00, hunted the entire state, hunted the entire season, and could score a buck and a doe per day - each and every day of the season - if I could find the game.

However, I discovered an organization called, Outdoor Buddies, INC., here in Colorado. It serves our fellow shooting/hunting enthusiasts who are disabled and need assistance to enjoy our world. Looks like I found a home again in hunting. Do ya'll have anything like this in "God's country" OR and WA? From what I found out, they hunt elk, deer, prong horns, and pheasant around the state and are involved in sporting/training events the remainder of the year. Since I work with adults with disabilities as a profession, this sounds like a good fit. At 61 and semi-retired (my full retirement will also be my wake) this is the greatest occupation for the leastest pay you will ever have.

I sold my 300 WSM a year ago (LH Tikka Lite which I loved) but I kept my 25 - 06. It is my Grandfather's 30 Govt 06 converted over to 25-06 and accurized. I have it bedded in a left hand - right hand action thumb-hole stock with an Al Talbot QD scope mount that works flawlessly and has never lost zero with the scope removed and put back on more times than I can remember since the early 1990's. (phew - that sentence took my breath away). Do any of you stop breathing when writing/typing a sentence? Guess it's one of my disabilities. Anyway, this rifle will print 3/4" groups past 100 yards all day and there is absolutely no recoil. The bullet is a little light but with the accuracy of this rifle, I am very confident in hitting accurately. I have it set at 3" high at 100 and it is 3" low at 350 yards. I have not taken many chances in shooting game over my hunting career so I plan on limiting my shots to under 300 yards and I will watch the wind conditions. The 117 - 120 grn modern hunting rounds will drop anything from cow elk to prong horn with proper bullet placement.

I have learned a great deal of patience in #1 being 61 (don't want to talk about it) and #2 working with/for adults with either/or mental and physical disabilities. I don't exceed 30 mph the majority of my driving at work and I get giddy when I watch the speedometer exceed 60 when it is just myself and my wife driving. I know I can now wait for the best shot or let the creature move on (I am talking legal game here by the way). I am not about mounting a giant rack any more (lets keep it to hunting - ok). I prefer the meat and still want to have an elk hide processed and painted by a Native American. I had several white tail hides processed for re-upholstering projects back east and I would like to save up for an elk hide. I used to use Wisconsin Cogs (?) back in the 90's but I don't think they are still in business.

I carry either a Ruger Black Hawk 44 special in a 357 frame 4.5 brl or my all time favorite Ruger 1953 - 2003 single 6 in 22 mag with the 50grn HP round when I am in the hills or fishing the Arkansas River or mountain lakes. I practice drawing and shooting with the lil 22 and this helps me hit with the 44 off the draw. So far, the only failed attempts at bodily attacks, on my person, in the wild, have come from unfortunate clay pigeons, on a stick. But, I am ready none the less.

Look forward to getting to know some of you.

bob

Hey, JJ (Just Jim)

Thanks for the "welcome". I look forward to getting to the "Fit in" stage. Right now I'll settle for "The new guy". Right now, I am working on my MKIII set up. Saving up for Crimson Trace LG-401 green laser grips, Volquartsen trigger kit, and, most importantly, Fastfire 3 optics is a real test in patience. I decided to list my SR-22 rifle set up but i will need to replace it. So, I plan on a TD 10/22 tactical (threaded Brl) and a TRS-25 sight. In Colorado, it is illegal to buy, sell, or trade high cap mags. Yes, even .22lr. Such brilliance should be guarded and well protected - right? So, we'll try to keep it in Colorado. However, SFBS "S%#t For Brains Syndrom" or "Super Fart Backup Syndrom" seems to be contagious. So, watch out and take plenty of vitamin "L" Libertarian-ism. I'll not get to political here - sorry. Just God, guts, and glory (valor) seem to be what creates and sustains liberty while a healthy dose of Integrity maintains a certain quality in a Republic. As much as we want to blame politicians and big business we really need to look no further than each other in the general population.

We, the people, have the greatest strength in a "Republic" and have the greatest amount to loose when we forget how this "Republic" was started, built, and maintained. We can call this "Patriotism" but the more accurate term would be "Investment". It is here that we (gun owners/shooting enthusiasts and, in general, Americans) have dropped the ball. Our three branch government was never meant to be independent of the populace but, governed by the citizen. We have decided that that is not what we want to do. We want to be left alone to "invest" in ourselves and forget the most important investment - the governing that ensures our "Liberty" - our independence (being left alone).

It isn't too late but we are in grave danger. The greatest lie is presented by our leadership structure in their "Leave it to me/us !" campaign platform and in our overwhelming urge to trust this. Since the 2000's began (way before then actually) haven't we seen that neither the Republican party nor the Democrats have what it takes to "Leave it to them". When did running a nation's economy not need to be on the same standard as running a home? One of my precious wife's greatest qualities is the ability to squeeze 2 lbs of poop from a buffalo nickel. It is frustrating at times cause I wanna play. But, she saves my hide while I hunt, gather, and fight off the invading hordes - ya know what I mean - AAAARRRGGG!

Have a nice life "Comrade" or "Fellow Subject" is not the salutation I want to hear. How about you????

bob (with one O)

:D I am in a retirement transition mind set. I have projects that may get done if I want to get to them lol. Lived here in Oregun 62 years and even though it is a mostly dem state we still have our rights. A lot of us have stood up for those rights over the years for us to keep them.

I am a life member of the best gun club in all of Oregun, ARPC. They are committed to fun, safe shooting and the preservation of our rights. We have 2600 members and growing, even have a pro shop lol.

Going to leave it at that because I don't like to talk about myself, the youngsters get jealouse:D

I hope to get involved in a larger, active gun club some day. Right now, I am a member of a small private club. I enjoy the shooting range. I am glad to hear that your freedoms are intact. We are hoping that this new law gets reversed but it does not look too good. All of our Sheriffs refused to enforce this law and have stood up to the "Enlightened" ones. So far they have kept their jobs.

I agree on not talking about all of my accomplishments. I'd rather be a legend in my own mind and not be proven a fool. lol

When I am gone the only legend will be about how much plumbers butt was exposed at the shooting range lol:D I envy you for the state you are in but pity you for the politics that have prevailed against you. Here in Oregun we are allowed class three nfa stuff, can't imagine not being allowed high cap mags.

Welcome Bob!!!! As a fellow Southerner, I too left the homeland of my people for the mountains and streams of the majestic Pacific Northwest!!!
I spent 3 years in the Army at Ft. Carson (near Colorado Springs) back in the late 70's and loved the mountains but the people there hated us "Dogs"... I almost married a beautiful gal there but 1 1/2 yrs into the relationship she found out I was in the Army (I lived off post and grew my hair out)... Oh well...
I got hooked on river fishing for steelhead in the mid 80's and have never left or have plans to leave Washington.

Hey, Caveman,

I do envy the variety ya'll have up there in hunting and fishing. I miss what I call white meat i.e. perch, crappie, bass, blue gill. But I do love river fishing for trout with an ultra lite rig. Between the scenery and the strikes, I don't get bored. Thank You for your service dude !!!!!! Sorry for the idiots you'll find just about anywhere. I trust you found a lucky lady up in God's country. I came out here from AL as a single dad with a teenage son. We forged a life here. I told him, "Hey, why don't we move to Colorado and I'll find a job when we get there?" He agreed and here I am. He is now an AG in the Navy. My oldest son is in his 8th year of being a tech rep in the field over in the "Sandpit". He supports Marines and Army at firebases. He is an ex-CT. I am an ex-CT in rate and a spook in heart. However, I only got to 15 in a row before I got out. You see, the record was 21 pubs in a row (with fish-n-chips somewhere in-be-tween) and I was going for the record - I really was - really.

Anyway, I found a retired Special ED teacher out here (who wasn't very picky). She needed things done around the house and I wanted the leather from my hunts chewed and softened. She gots good choppers and I can mow a lawn. I can't get away with Crap though. Should have studied the Special ED field a little more thoroughly - she's heard and seen just about every trick, lie, story line, and pitched fit there is. I gotta get some original stuff.

You or JJ got anything that works???

Just Jim, thanks for the heads up in castle Rock.

Just Jim, check out my other posts. I have (finally) gotten my SS Sparrow. Filed papers in Sept 2013 and picked up my NFA suppressor July 2014. I really enjoy my pistola with a noise reducer. Can't wait to hear what the "Enlightened" will determine it is. Of course, it's gonna take some time to communicate their prejudice cause we ain't got no roads around these here parts according to their Dolly Lama from New York.
Hey, Caveman do ya remember any roads around here? I'm 30 minutes from your ole cave "Fort Carson". Go west on 115, turn right on Hwy 50, and when you can see the Arkansas - that's Canon City, CO. Home of 13 state prisons, neighbor to "Big Max" federal prison, and home to "Old Max" the oldest prison like - ever. I hear that Wild Burp brought some of his people here and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid spent some time here.

Bob, our gun club puts on a full auto event every year in May. The bring in a bunch of vendors that rent out their guns. All kinds of guns even up to 20mm. At one point in the shoot they allow only suppressed guns on the firing line. Interesting to compare their products for noise reduction. Plus once a month they have a sub gun shoot.

Last year they had a car set out at 50 yards and cut it completely in half with a 50. Got sick this year and missed the shoot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top