JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
natef
The answer is no . . . BUT the DHS, the FBI, and the NSF will be notified. You can expect your next background check will be negative!?!?!?!?

Sheldon

I've wondered about that. shortly after that visit I went in to get my CHL. even though there was no reason to and I have a perfectly clean record i was delayed. I was only delayed about a week or so but still it was frustrating and was for no reason.

(insert sarcasim)But im sure neither had anything to do with the other....

Yeah I would tell a stranger I do not own a gun even if they could see the IWB bulge in my shirt. I do not buy the data at all. It is just people willing to tell a stranger their personal business. I think most serious gun owners know better. That would leave a lot of people off the charts.

Why the hell would a doctor office be concerned about your firearms? Unless you happened to be at a mental health doctor and said some creepy stuff...If not then how would they even bring that up? Your medical history should be protected unless you are seen as a threat to yourself or others. Kinda creepy and weird that a doc would even bring guns up.

Why the hell would a doctor office be concerned about your firearms? Unless you happened to be at a mental health doctor and said some creepy stuff...If not then how would they even bring that up? Your medical history should be protected unless you are seen as a threat to yourself or others. Kinda creepy and weird that a doc would even bring guns up.

It was part of the general questions they ask when you are at a new doctor. my company changed the insurance program and we all had to go to new doctors. if you google it you will find all sorts of info. I just grabbed a quick link to a foxnews deal on it.

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/05/20/if-your-doctor-asks-you-about-guns-do-you-have-answer

I didnt feel the need to answer it, and i could tell the doctor didnt like having to ask it. That being said im sure no answer falls into the catagorie of a YES check block.

As far as a random stranger asking me? I would denie that to the death of me. there is no reason for anyone other than me and mine to know what i have or dont have. even on forums like this i am often hessitant to post in catagories like "show your guns" i did once and almost immediatly regretted it. then again if your not on a list your not doing somthing right.

It was part of the general questions they ask when you are at a new doctor. my company changed the insurance program and we all had to go to new doctors. if you google it you will find all sorts of info. I just grabbed a quick link to a foxnews deal on it.

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/05/20/if-your-doctor-asks-you-about-guns-do-you-have-answer

I didnt feel the need to answer it, and i could tell the doctor didnt like having to ask it. That being said im sure no answer falls into the catagorie of a YES check block.

As far as a random stranger asking me? I would denie that to the death of me. there is no reason for anyone other than me and mine to know what i have or dont have. even on forums like this i am often hessitant to post in catagories like "show your guns" i did once and almost immediatly regretted it. then again if your not on a list your not doing somthing right.

Well I am on plenty of peoples Sh&@ list but they do not know about my firearms and never will. As far as I am concerned with all the anti gun stuff the less you say to people the better in most cases. I will go to rallies and anything necessary to keep my right but telling random strangers who are putting it in a file is not happening.
I know just by having my carry permit that it is known I have at least one gun. That is all that anyone needs to know.

Pretty sure I won't be believing the data when it says that Washington and Clackamas Counties are armed at a higher rate than say, oh, Linn, Deschutes, Crook, Harney, etc...

That being said, the Northstar Borough makes sense to be on that list. Surprised the other Alaska Boroughs aren't on that list.

The survey takers have yet to be found.... In Alaska I would not mess with, oh say, 97.5% of the residents there.....

Doctors ask because there are studies that show if we ask if there are guns in the home that are not stored safely around children more people will buy a safe and less kids will shoot themselves. So just the process of asking the question seems to effect people's behavior. Just like if we ask if people smoke, or drink too much.

So do I ask my patients? no, unless we are comparing guns (or the patient is threatening to kill someone). I personally believe that if you are letting your 4 year old with unsupervised access to your loaded guns you really shouldn't be having kids in the first place. But unfortunately, I dont get to determine who has children :)

As for those wondering if any question about guns in the doctor's office feed these types of surveys. No they do not. Believe me, there is no mechanism to get that kind of data out of a chart, even with the electronic medical records. Even if someone would want to pay me to hire someone to go through all the charts looking for that type of information, the privacy laws would limit it.

Besides, just say 'no' if your doc asks. People lie to me all the time about if they are eating healthy or smoking or injecting heroin into their penis or that the flashlight is in their butt because they 'fell on it.' right. There is no law saying to have to tell the truth in the doctors office. .

Might have been good learning institutions in the distant past but today they are money grabbing places of indoctrination. If education was really working our country wouldn't be in such sad shape. Nope, in my opinion higher education has failed us and no way would I believe any study they put out.
I'm sure you know absolutely zero about the University of Chicago. It was and remains one of the finest, highest-quality institutions of learning on Earth.

Yep definitly
But their data is bogus.
Do you mean their data are bogus?

Perhaps you have something to teach the scientists there about sampling protocols. Except that you never studied statistics, did you? If you had you'd know that sampling is the single most critical issue in all observational studies like this one. And one that they've no doubt considered closely, thankyouverymuch.

Your bias is leading you down a path of willful ignorance, and that kind of blinkered viewpoint makes a people very easy to manipulate and control. I fear for us all, if so many are willing to discard actual data for the sake of palatable frauds.

I'm sure you know absolutely zero about the University of Chicago. It was and remains one of the finest, highest-quality institutions of learning on Earth.

:D Ah yes Chicago, another proving ground for our education system. How are they doing, what is the body count up to? Again education has failed this nation. All the billions spent on educating our public servants yet the country is in a full state of decline.

Ever notice it's the college educated that push for more gun controls... that don't work?

Last Edited:
"Statistics are like bikinis, in that what they reveal is interesting, but what they conceal is vital."

The way the article headline is worded, it's not clear to me whether they're talking about the percent of residents that are armed or the percent of households that have a weapon in them. The former is a lot harder number to glean, since ownership may be shared, or the husband and wife might even disagree over whether they're "his" guns or "their" guns.

Household sizes have been falling for many years, and have only recently started to edge back up again since the Crash of 2008. A trend toward smaller households logically equates to a lower percentage that have firearms in them. For example, both my son and my daughter moved out on their own, and neither has a firearm in their house. Now one household has become three, and only 1/3 of those households has a firearm in it. This is the same result found in the University of Chicago General Social Survey, one of the most extensive longitudinal surveys in US history.

That didn't stop some of the more rabid posters on this site from roundly branding one of the best universities in the world as a "liberal hotbed" or whatever, and dismissing the results of a forty-plus-year survey because they didn't like or just didn't understand the results.

I'm not a member of this forum because I like to hear people who say things I agree with and who agree with me; I'm here to learn. How about we maintain a level of interest and involvement that's consistent with that goal, and leave the histrionics to the Brady Bunch?

http://www3.norc.org/gss website/

I've seen some quite reputable academics claim the GSS survey numbers on guns are wildly inaccurate. John Lott, for one. Also their numbers are consistently lower than Gallup, etc.

And finally, would YOU tell some stranger on the phone whether or not you own guns and how many and of what type? Personally, I'd say: Nope, no guns here." and hang up.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top