JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ever since the recent turmoil about deadly dog treats from China we have switched to low fat hotdog peices or a few treats made in the USA. We're noticing a serious change for the better. Our girl is growing old and was showing it. Slowing down, reluctant to walk far and in obvious pain. In the last two months she has regained muscle mass in her haunches, is much more limber and just looks years younger! So have any other members noticed the kind of changes that we are seeing .

Hi Nambu,

My wife and I currently have 1 dog, a 3 year old Walker/Red Bone Hound. We had a Black Lab and an American Staffordshire Terrier. Our Lab lived until she was 14 and our Staffy until 2 months ago at the age of 15.
All of our dogs have been on the BARF diet.....which stands for bones and raw foods. Commercial pet food is really bad for your animals.

Our dogs get a little canned dog food on top of roasted Hamberger or something else if it is healthier, leaner and on sale. We try to mix it up on the people meat that we cook for her because she will get picky on us. Also why she gets a bit of dog food on top.

Some commercial dog food is Ok, but the better ones are expensive. BARF and homemade diets are better and usually cheaper than even crappy commercial food, but often time consuming to prepare.

For a really good read are dog health in general, I highly recommend the book "Pukka's Promise", by Ted Kerasote. After the dog in his first book (Merle's Door, also good read if you like "man and his dog" stories) died, he set out to research the best ways to keep dogs as healthy and as long lived as possible. Lots of interesting stuff.

My dog gets taste of the wild dog food, treats are usually some form of table scrap (we eat very healthy, so he usually gets some chicken).

Weimaraners have food allergies to grain and some other stuff, if he eats dog food other than what he usually gets his farts will run you out of the house, also lack of energy (he has plenty to spare) he will also get a wax buildup in his ears, we learned real early with him not to let him eat any other food.

If treats are not, sourced and produced in the US they do not get them. We picked up a foiod dehydrator to make our own dog treats,going to have to experiment with it.
I feed Bue Buffalo Wilderness - what are your guys thoughts on that brand of food?

Best dog food we found is from Honest Kitchen. It is dehydrated raw food.

We first used it when we were travelling as a 10lb box (dehydrated) is the equivalent of 40+ lb.

You can get it in some pet supply stores but won't find it in box stores. We buy it online by the case as it is cheaper that way.

Where we messed up was chicken jerky (Costco) and pig ears from China! We cut them up and since we live in the city, every time she went to and returned from the back yard without mauling a neighbor she got a treat. Added up to a lot of poison!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top