Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Hatfields/McCoys

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WhyteCheddar, May 30, 2012.

1. WhyteCheddar

WhyteCheddar East of Moscow by the Willamette Well-Known Member

Anyone watching the Hatfields/McCoys?
    I wasn’t really planning on it then decided to give it a chance at the last minute Monday night. I’ve been pleasantly surprised.
    Its pretty intense. Plenty of cowboy guns for those that are into that as well.

2. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

I've seen it and have been pleasantly surprised. Pretty violent but when you're condensing events from over years into a few hours, there's a lot of violent acts to cover.

I think the tension between the family heads is well illustrated even if the story isn't entirely correct. I just wish they did a better job imitating the speech.

3. Glockman19

Glockman19 Hillsboro Active Member

I watched the first part and found it hard to follow for the first half but then it all started to come together and turned into good watching. DVR'd the second part so I will watch it tonight after I get off work.

4. bshnt2015

bshnt2015 CA & WA Member

The saloon. shootout, drawing from the shoulder rig was nicely done.

5. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Always thought Bill Paxton was an entertaining actor and he is great in this as well (loved the guy in Aliens, Terminator, U-571, Tombstone, etc)

He has the 'stressed out' thing down to a science. The last 2-hour part starts in 15 minutes (6pm pst)

6. chase

chase Wilsonville, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Yup, Ive seen the first two. I'm impressed with the series. Makes me want to smoke pipes and drink whiskey.

7. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

With any luck it is as close as they get, historically speaking, given the probable lack of information and the 'dramatic liberties' they had to take to make it through six hours. A long time span to cover too. I watched closely and it appeared they did a good job of ensuring the weapons were correct for the time period, at least for the ones used on the close-ups. I thought I saw a few Mod 94 carbines used for the distance views but otherwise a good rendering. About 30 years ago I knew a McCoy who was actually a descendent of the originals. He had family pictures, heirlooms and definitely had the 'look' - he could have been an actor in the show and would not have needed to make any changes, other than clothing.

8. WhyteCheddar

The series inspired me to find something to read on the subject.
    Can anyone suggest something good that they have read?

9. Burt Gummer

When I hear Hatfields and McCoy I think of Bugs Bunny in Hillbilly Hare.

"Be yee a Hatfield or be yee a McCoy rabbit?"

"My friends call me Coy all the time"

10. PaulZ

PaulZ Oregon City Active Member

Some beautiful horses and lot cleaner people than I would expect. Heard it was filmed in Romania.
    I am enjoying it.

11. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

I thought it was an excellent narrative on the consequences of inbreeding.

12. TDH

TDH Portland Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

:bluelaugh:

13. WhyteCheddar

Seriously though.
    The human condition really hasn’t changed much at all. Only the tools of destruction are
    of slightly higher quality.
    I loved the part were the guy wanting to collect the bounty on Hatfield Senior bought a scope
    and just snapped it on his rifle 30 seconds before he took the shot. Apparently not knowing anything
    about sighting in the ‘high tech’ optic. LOL

14. Burt Gummer

"The human condition really hasn’t changed much at all. Only the tools of destruction are"

Yes, an advanced species observing Earth 5000 years ago would see little change from today. Worshiping same 'Gods' with different names. Same manipulations of the few to enslave the many. Very little change.

The one thing the series got wrong is portraying people as 'dumb'. In actuality, people/kids in the 1880s were far more intelligent than we are today.

We are morons on an intellectual level compared to back then. In the 1880s, without mind numbing TV, poisons in the food, et al, Americans were actually free thinkers and not a hive of drones.

The things that pass for truth today would have been laughed at and disregarding back then.

Here is evidence of that, an 8th grade exam that a college grad student would not pass at today's degraded level. In our vanity, with the aid/comfort of technology, we BELIEVE we are the smartest humans ever. Simply not true.

http://thinklab.typepad.com/think_lab/2006/03/8th_grade_exami.html

15. mattfoley

mattfoley oregon New Member

I watched all three, and thoroughly enjoyed them :thumbup:

16. KONE KILLER

KONE KILLER WASHOUGAL, WA Active Member

Good series I thought. Thought everyone was a bit trigger happy, but that was proly how they were, I dunno, I didnt live back then....
    Good story though. Watch it as entertainment if anything...