Hatcher's Notebook

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by corpsman, Nov 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. corpsman

corpsman
    Pierce County, Washington, United States

ron, P7id10T, ogre and 2 others like this.
  2. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.
    Moderator with a Black powder affinity... Staff Member Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Thanks for posting this...I have been looking for hardcover copy of this book forever...a PDF will do till I get a actual copy of the book.
    Andy

KKG and MountainBear like this.
  3. The Heretic

The Heretic
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've had the hard cover for decades. Gave my dad a copy for his birthday when he was alive - one of the few books on guns he read. For the most part this is a combination of a good reference and yet readable for some of the stories he tells and historical facts too.

When reading various online and magazine articles about guns, I sometimes wish some authors had read Hatcher' Notebook (among other authoritative works by real experts, not self-proclaimed ones) so they would have a better foundation in their knowledge of firearms instead of just repeating the nonsense they heard from other "experts".

bbbass, corpsman, ogre and 3 others like this.
  4. The Heretic

The Heretic
    Oregon

I forget what I did with my father's copy - I think I gave it to one of my brothers or my son in law.

https://www.amazon.com/Hatchers-notebook-firearms-classics-library/dp/B0006FABCQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1542468379&sr=8-2&keywords=hatcher's+notebook

https://www.amazon.com/Hatchers-Notebook-Julian-S-Hatcher/dp/0811707954/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1542468379&sr=8-3&keywords=hatcher's+notebook

It is nice to have a searchable copy too.

corpsman and AndyinEverson like this.
  5. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.
    Moderator with a Black powder affinity... Staff Member Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

The Heretic likes this.
  6. Ownerus

Ownerus
    South Clackamas Co.

I bought a copy in Apr of '81. I sometimes write the purchase date in my books. This was one of those times. I read it cover to cover back in the day. A wonderfully interesting book from a man who was there. More hard accurate facts than you usually see. Highly recommended if you are interested in military rifles of ww1 & 2.

AndyinEverson likes this.
  7. jordanka16

jordanka16
    Albany, OR
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I also have a hardcover copy of this book, it is a very good read.

8. Mark W.

Mark W.
    Silverton, OR
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

This has excellent info on the low serial number Springfield's that he researched for the Military.