JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Has your build failed a headspace check?

• No... but I never checked.

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • No, within spec.

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Yes, new parts.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Yes, used parts.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
Reactions
Finishing up assembly of my .308 AR10, seen a lot of debate about go, no go, and field gauges to check headspace.

I'm wondering, how many people here have had issues?

The advice I've seen that makes the most sense is that new parts should be good to go, while mixing and matching used BCG or barrel is suspect, and both used parts means don't bother.

-Robert

Never had issues but have seen the results of people who did. It's less than the price of your barrel for a set of gauges and they last forever. Don't know why people wouldn't have them around

No problem.....buy the complete assembled upper with bolt carrier group.

Of course......if you insist.....well, have the gauges to check.

Aloha, Mark

In that case......surely then.......one could afford the gauges.

Aloha, Mark
Yeah, I had a gunsmith drill, ream and taper pin the barrel and FSB together, and assembled the upper for me, and he checked headspace with go/no-go to confirm that the combo worked with the AIM bolt.. and to avoid the potential messup of having bought the wrong bolt for the chamber, again due to a few barrel companies making variants on the 6.5 Grendel chamber (.264 LBC and Black Hole Weaponry who chambered the barrels for .125 X39 bolt faces vs the SAAMI Grendel/Beowulf .136 bolt face)

I built 3 AR-10's, took them out to try them-- First one fired but jammed , second & third one wouldn't even fire. So I swapped BCG's with 1st & 2nd ones & then they both worked good, after some break-in. Third one wouldn't work, even after swapping BCG's with the others & it wouldn't even accept the Go gauge. I determined the bolt end was a bit too long and gave it a taste of the grinder-- Then it finally closed over a cartridge & the Go gauge. I realized the grinder had taken too much off & ordered another bolt & that finally fixed the problem

Last Edited:
Yeah, I had a gunsmith drill, ream and taper pin the barrel and FSB together, and assembled the upper for me, and he checked headspace with go/no-go to confirm that the combo worked with the AIM bolt.. and to avoid the potential messup of having bought the wrong bolt for the chamber, again due to a few barrel companies making variants on the 6.5 Grendel chamber (.264 LBC and Black Hole Weaponry who chambered the barrels for .125 X39 bolt faces vs the SAAMI Grendel/Beowulf .136 bolt face)

NERD!!! :s0064:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top