JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The trade name of this revolver makes me chuckle. "Metropolitan Police" which was surely a marketing ploy even way back when this revolver was made. Which was in the middle 1920's and supposedly these were only made in the hundreds. Not so much a true police arm, more like something a trapper might carry. In .22 LR with the long, skinny barrel. An H&R police gun might actually be something with a short barrel in .38 S&W. Note the lack of a loading gate where the cartridges load into the chamber. Sometimes seen on older, inexpensive revolvers of this era.

One of my great uncles was a sheriff's deputy in Iowa. I was visiting my great aunt one time after he'd died and she showed me his duty gun. It was an Iver Johnson Target Sealed 8 ("Hammer the Hammer"), so a .22 revolver in the hands of a rural lawman isn't such a stretch.

Colt did make a revolver for police use called the Metropolitan Mark III, circa 1968-74. Basically, it was an Official Police with a heavy barrel. These were made in a new plant set up to utilize less labor in production.

Those, and Iver Jonhsons were often "pull and poke" extraction. Was the time when .32 S&W or Colt was not at all uncommon in PD holsters. Many a Colt SAA in .32-20 was made, and those who carried them were not considered poorly armed. The .32-20 was known to "shoot right through you." In all of the film noir, it took one round from a .32 or perhaps .38 to end the action or exact revenge. We must be a lot tougher now (or drunker or stoned-er).

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top