JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Lately, most of my shooting has been with my CZ 82. The problem I am running into is, hammerbite. I have large hands, but the gun fits my hands well. What has me confused is when I am manually manipulating the hammer (Cleaning, etc), the hammer is nowhere near where I end up with hammerbite. It has crossed my mind that maybe I am doing something physically wrong in my hand position that is causing this. Are there any thoughts as to why I am ending up with hammerbite when it seems I should have plenty of clearance? Is my wrist not strong enough (excercises to strengthen)? It also seems to get progressively worse the more rounds I fire, so maybe the grips are getting slick in my hand, or again a progressively weakening wrist? I have thought about wearing gloves, but I would like to practice how I would be most likely to use it, without gloves. I would just appreciate any input from you more experienced shooters. Also I have already changed out the recoil spring, no change to hammerbite. It did make me wonder about limp wristing a little though, because I had intermittent fail to hold open on empty after going to the 18lb spring. Could just be the spring wasn't broken in yet though, it was the first time out with a heavier spring installed.
Thanks,
Joel

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I always assumed that what was happening was I was just getting some rubbing off the grip tail. But the last time out, I shot more than normal to try and break in the new recoil spring/make sure it wasn't too heavy a spring. What happened was by the end of the shooting (150 rnds) I noticed that there was blood in the hammer serations, and the hammer itself was coming all the way back and hitting behind my webbing. The biggest reason I have questioned my grip as being the issue is two fold: 1. When I hold the pistol in my hand (not shooting), the part that is currently scabbed is under/at the edge of the tail, not where the hammer falls back. 2. The problem gets progressively worse the more I shoot. ie. Two mags and I know I have been shooting but nothing huge, box to box and a half nice red mark, two boxes bleeding etc. I like the pistol, I am accurate with it, but it's not particularly pleasant to shoot if I can't figure this out.

I am just guessing here....but it would have to be your grip unless there is something very wrong/worn in the gun. maybe your grip is being affected by your stance. You must be choking up on the grip, allowing some of your hand to come up into the hammer area. are you shooting two handed square shouldered like /\? if so maybe your bending your wrists which is pushing up some of your hand into the area the hammer hits...it's hard for me to assess really, like i said i am just guessing.

bet you could bob the hammer a little ...round the pointy back part off and just leave enough of a nub to grab if you had to. why fit gun? make gun fit you...lol

I had thought about bobing the hammer, as well as smoothing out the edges on the underside of the tail. The other thing I thought might help would be to use aftermarket grips, or modifying the smooth plastic existing grips with some kind of a pattern. Thanks for your guesses. I had been shooting with a slightly modified Weaver stance but honestly, the last time out was a major regression for me in terms of stance etc. I went out to test the gun, and it got tested, but I got lazy.

I usually shoot in more of a weaver type stance I guess too...I was just trying to picture a stance that would possibly bend the wrist and force the hand up some on the back of the grip past the tail.

Is the tail actually cutting you?

I always presumed it was just the tail rubbing me. It wasn't until I saw blood on the hammer that I realized it was involved. The scab is a perfect impression of the hammer. I think with big hands and a sloppy/loose grip the gun slips/rocks just enough in my hand to bring the hammer back into my hand. I had thought my grip/stance must be ok, because my accuracy was always satisfactory, but that does not seem to be the case. I had a similar situation firing a Glock 17. I never pinched the web of my hand, but I could see where the slide had been rubbing, there were two little red lines. Could just be the way my hands are too I guess. No one else who fires this pistol ends up with bite.

dang...I've gotten slide bite from glocks before too, I just blamed the gun and moved on :p. i get it from my xdm when i shoot off hand with it on occasion, especially if i forget and put my strong hand over the back of the grip/back of my off hand instead of under the bottom of my other hand (have gotten slidebite on my strong hand shooting off hand lol)

- maybe try some grip tape....also if you relax your hand after squeezing the trigger maybe try and maintain a strong grip through the shot so the pistol can't buck back. Don't take that as me critiquing your technique, I am just trying to help you troubleshoot lol.

This actually a common problem with older 1911s and the reason for the grip safety being redesigned. When you take a firm grip high up on the pistol a certain portion of the web of you hand is exposed up over the grip safety or tang of the frame. After firing the slide cycles back forcing the hammer to pinch the web or your hand between it and the safety/tang, often called hammer bite. Large hands on smaller pistols exacerbates the problem.

Sounds like you take a high grip on the pistol and have large hands. You might try adjusting your grip, bobbing the hammer a bit might help or even a different pistol.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top