JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The pre Mark III Ruger Mark pistols have some very capable "bolt ears" that provide a good purchase when pulling the bolt back, to lock it in place, should that need be desired. Both Shop Ruger and an east coast "buy and re-sell it" outfit carry a Halo bolt assist for $49.95, plus shipping. OK, I know that some older folks and then some junior shooters may have a tough time with pulling the bolt back on the Ruger Mark III, and now the Ruger Mark IV versions with the tapered and smaller diameter bolt ears, as those are hard for some to get a hold on.

The thing that I don't get, is how others can sell what looks like exactly the very same "gizmo" on ebay for $29.95 and FREE shipping:

XLdPIWBl.jpg

I just hate to see folks get scalped like that, for what looks like it will do the very same thing for a much better price.

The pre Mark III Ruger Mark pistols have some very capable "bolt ears" that provide a good purchase when pulling the bolt back, to lock it in place, should that need be desired. Both Shop Ruger and an east coast "buy and re-sell it" outfit carry a Halo bolt assist for $49.95, plus shipping. OK, I know that some older folks and then some junior shooters may have a tough time with pulling the bolt back on the Ruger Mark III, and now the Ruger Mark IV versions with the tapered and smaller diameter bolt ears, as those are hard for some to get a hold on.

The thing that I don't get, is how others can sell what looks like exactly the very same "gizmo" on ebay for $29.95 and FREE shipping:

View attachment 799626

I just hate to see folks get scalped like that, for what looks like it will do the very same thing for a much better price.

I definitely paid full price for the one I outfitted my ladies gun with....now I want my own of course, thanks for the heads up!

I suppose you might call the one that Tandemkross sells as a "knock-off". They don't MAKE anything, they buy from those that do and then rename it and charge more.
Example: Midway USA sells Ruger Mark pistol Titanium firing pins, one from Power Custom and one from TK. They are the same firing pin only TK's is $3.00 more.
But, choices are a very good thing, so they say:

XLdPIWBl.jpg This is the internet sample. Looks good to me.

Last Edited:
SGW Gunsmith said:
Just who is making and/or selling these on ebay?

Edit: Found 'em - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Charger-Bo...to-fit-Ruger-Mark-3-4-Mk-III-IV-/164432471735

After closely looking at ebay version and my TK version, I noticed that on the TK, the halo is machined to interlock with the serrations on the ears of the bolt. The ebay version is smooth faced, and lacks the added lockup, relying solely on the mounting mounting screw to hold the halo on the bolt.

Less machining on the Ebay version could explain the cheaper price? :s0092:
As for me, stick with the TK version. The other version is a good be cheaper and provides another option if you are on a budget or you think you are getting ripped off buying the TK version. ;)

Those bolt ring gizmo's seem to me to be more of a sales gimmick rather than anything else. Have never heard or read where an owner of a Ruger Mark I or II getting a hernia from pulling those pistol bolts backward to feed a round. I sure don't have any trouble with my Mark III & IV pistol bolts as far as being "pinched" or getting "blood blisters" from those bolts. :s0115:

Kinda like those "gas peddle" additions to rest your thumb on when shooting two handed. :rolleyes:

Most folks have no issues running the bolt without a halo installed (I don't currently have one on my MK4). My teenage daughter in the other hand, much prefers having a halo on her MK4.

Don't like the halo, don't buy it. Like the halo but not the price, buy the less expensive version. As for me, I prefer the TK version that's on my daughter's gun. I however, do not like the TK price and have no desire to pick up an ebay version even at the much reduced price.

The biggest advantage to me of running a halo, is in competition. I shoot local speed steel matches. I use bulk pack .22LR ammo and on occasion, I'll end up with a failure of some sort. Having a halo on your gun, gives you a big target for your index finger to "hook" onto. It's faster and more comfortable to clear the failure with the halo than without it. My .02 and YMMV.

Most folks have no issues running the bolt without a halo installed (I don't currently have one on my MK4). My teenage daughter in the other hand, much prefers having a halo on her MK4.

Don't like the halo, don't buy it. Like the halo but not the price, buy the less expensive version. As for me, I prefer the TK version that's on my daughter's gun. I however, do not like the TK price and have no desire to pick up an ebay version even at the much reduced price.

The biggest advantage to me of running a halo, is in competition. I shoot local speed steel matches. I use bulk pack .22LR ammo and on occasion, I'll end up with a failure of some sort. Having a halo on your gun, gives you a big target for your index finger to "hook" onto. It's faster and more comfortable to clear the failure with the halo than without it. My .02 and YMMV.

Moot point whether I LIKE it or not. I , and many others just don't NEED one for the number of times that gimmick must be used.

Moot point whether I LIKE it or not. I , and many others just don't NEED one for the number of times that gimmick must be used.

As you said, quite a few folks don't need it. However it makes the shooting sport much more enjoyable for those of us with dexterity issues and other injury's.

Those bolt ring gizmo's seem to me to be more of a sales gimmick rather than anything else. Have never heard or read where an owner of a Ruger Mark I or II getting a hernia from pulling those pistol bolts backward to feed a round. I sure don't have any trouble with my Mark III & IV pistol bolts as far as being "pinched" or getting "blood blisters" from those bolts. :s0115:

Kinda like those "gas peddle" additions to rest your thumb on when shooting two handed. :rolleyes:

If we go by your logic everyone would still be shooting bolt actions and iron sights, drive manual transmissions cars with roll up windows.

The Halo is an improvement in ergonomics. The ease of racking the bolt with is realized when you rack the bolt 162 times in a steel match. They are also useful to teach youth. Many youth have troubling cocking the hammer while they are still learning to control the muzzle. The halo makes it so easy and natural they learn proper safety faster. I have also seen older shooters use them.

Better prices can be had on many similar EBay products but beware. Many times the quality or engineering is not there. Someone sees a product and copies it at a cheaper price. Many times cutting corners. I recently purchase locking hubs for a Toyota on eBay. The hubs while very nice looking lacked the tapered bolt holes that Toyota uses. I also suspect the materials are substandard. I am ok with that for my intended use, however if I was seriously off-roading with them I would have bought brand hubs for $300 more.

162 times. :rolleyes: Yah, right. :s0115: ebay also now has a plastic loop for the bolt ears for $14.95. Maybe even those will keep ancient shooters from filling their Depends when pulling the bolt back even more cheaply. :)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top