JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Today was a hard day. Had to say goodbye to my buddy of over 10 years.

Making the decision to say goodbye to your pup is terrible. I think it feels worse today because seemed so happy. We were able to take him to see friends and out for drive-through puppacionos. We celebrated his last meal with his favorites - Pizza and beer.

We had a good life together, so many memories and photos to look back on. I am glad that he is at peace now. Although he wasn't miserable and suffering now, we wanted him to go out before that since he was beginning to deteriorate quickly. The vet came to our house and we were able to send our boy out peacefully with love and treats enjoying the sunshine on the back deck. We love you buddy

Some other photos of Gunner
IMG_8153.jpg

Fellow dog person, I think I take better care of them than I do myself, feel your pain. They are such an important part of our lives and live so short a life. A wise man once said something along the lines of I wish I was the person my dog thinks I am. Sorry for your loss. The pain slowly fades for what little comfort that is :(

Been there, had to do that. I'm very sorry for your loss. It's like having a limb cut off, only worse. They are such wonderful friends. If only they could live longer. Having one brings great joy, even if knowing the end must come sooner than we'd like.

May the following bring you comfort:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Terribly sorry for your loss. As strange as it might sound, I take the loss of my dog far harder than the loss of any human. I don't care what other people think but the bond between a dog and human is far stronger than human to human. I lost my GSD at the end of 2020 and not a day goes by that I do not cry over that loss. Never has there been a more loyal friend on this planet and I fear there never will be again. Take comfort in all of the good days you shared.

Godspeed Gunner!

I'm so very sorry OP. They are such precious little souls and with us for far too short of time.

I wish you and your family peace OP.

p.s.

It is far better to take them out just a little bit early than too late. You did the right thing.

Hello,

Condolences on the loss of your beloved dog, Gunner.

I was going to post a dog poem for you to read but Cavedweller beat me to it. Thank you, C.

Take care.

Sincerely,

Cate

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

I fear this day and I know it's getting closer.

Im very sorry for your loss. That decision is so unbelivebly hard to make . Mourn for you friend but dont wait to long for the next pup so many need help.

The deeply personal news you were willing to share with us served a timely purpose.

My 11yo Plott Hound suffered a sudden serious respiratory crisis this week which led me to imagine what life would be without her. She seems to have pulled through at this point, and reading about Gunner brought this to mind:

When doing something special for her, (re-fluffing her bed, handing her a Milk Bone, putting special leftovers in her food, etc.), I often remind her that she is "Lucky Dog, Lucky Dog", and hound pups very often don't end up being treated as she is.

Your post corrected me to know that it's actually ME that is "Lucky Dog, Lucky Dog".

Very recently, SyFy channel ran a marathon of Twilight Zone episodes. If it is possible, find the episode titled, "The Hunt" (I did locate it on You Tube). With my recent situation, it was eerily appropriate and very helpful. Any dog owner (especially hunting dogs) would enjoy it immensely.

I appreciate all of the kind words.

They really are such loyal companions and their time is so short. I knew this day was going to hurt, just didn't realize it would be this much. Makes it even more sad watching the other two dogs keep checking the rooms for him.

@Spitpatch Gunner was also half plott hound. Such stubborn little bastards 😂. Love them while they are here, time sure seems to sneak up on you fast.

Hugs brother. Was literally out trimming a tree as the weather is so good today and looked down to see the little stone memorial my daughter placed when we buried our old pup there quite some time ago. I cried then, and I cried today remembering the good times. It's so tough.

Dogs are cruel to us. They steal our hearts, and then bury them out in woods. And just as we get ourselves right, another one come along and suckers us into the same old routine!

Sorry for you loss, been there myself way too many times.

We lost our last Lab three years ago and made the decision of no more dogs. As I told the wife, I don't want to be pushing 80 and trying to take care of an old buddy. And it is so hard to say goodbye to them. Train a dog, you say?? They have taught me much. So sorry for your loss, and cherish the memories!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top