JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As a reloader I could not abide by the Hk91 I had for awhile. Between the fluted chamber and just being generally hard on brass I settled on the Fal and never looked back.
Once I put the eject buffer on my 91 I didn't have any problem resizing the brass. And I didn't have to walk downrange as far to pick up my pile.

elsie

As a reloader I could not abide by the Hk91 I had for awhile. Between the fluted chamber and just being generally hard on brass I settled on the Fal and never looked back.
The port buffer solved that. The flutes...yeah, well...back in the 70s or 80s mil-surp 308 brass was very affordable. So I stocked up and have not had to reload them. I may try, just for a poke in the eye. Will be interesting to see how flutes and Lee collet dies work. And back then the 91s were $444. Oh, and I could not get past the factory test target.

1645133681608.png

Last Edited:
Same here. Many years ago I also had a Hakim rifle in 8mm Mauser. It doesn't have a fluted chamber but it sure was a brass mangler. I kept my FN49 and sold the Hakim. I'm kicking myself on that one though, since Hakims are now worth many times what they were back in the '90s.
$6 will barely buy a good cheeseburger.

Lol

The Walther PDP puts this step in the forward end of the chamber which puts it close to minimum spec. So if you use ammo, for instance steel cased, that is closer to maximum spec, there may be issues. And have been with the PDP. So you need to know what ammo your gun likes.

Just going by memory, Luger patented this in early 20th century as "offset obturation" and supposedly it was used until late 1941 when steel cased ammunition started to be "normal" in Germany. And started causing problems with this design. So the chamber was changed back to eliminate this feature. I've owned many pre-1941 Lugers and never noticed the step effect on cases fired in those compared to what is shown in the OP's initial pictures, nor on the ones I've found on the ground lately. The original Luger taper, if you will, was only .01 and the contemporary Walther design may be more than that?

I wouldn't limit my caution to steel cased 9mm ammo. I've seen some brass cased 9mm that was pretty thick at the mouth. Of the modern makers that I'm familiar with, RP is pretty thin, followed by FC, with WW being observably thicker. That is, stuff from the E Alton plant, the MS plant is a bit different. PMC is thickish. The foreign brands vary. The infamous A-MERC (Miami, FL) was thick enough to choke any 9mm but I don't think they are in business anymore.

The Walther PDP puts this step in the forward end of the chamber which puts it close to minimum spec. So if you use ammo, for instance steel cased, that is closer to maximum spec, there may be issues. And have been with the PDP. So you need to know what ammo your gun likes.

Just going by memory, Luger patented this in early 20th century as "offset obturation" and supposedly it was used until late 1941 when steel cased ammunition started to be "normal" in Germany. And started causing problems with this design. So the chamber was changed back to eliminate this feature. I've owned many pre-1941 Lugers and never noticed the step effect on cases fired in those compared to what is shown in the OP's initial pictures, nor on the ones I've found on the ground lately. The original Luger taper, if you will, was only .01 and the contemporary Walther design may be more than that?

I wouldn't limit my caution to steel cased 9mm ammo. I've seen some brass cased 9mm that was pretty thick at the mouth. Of the modern makers that I'm familiar with, RP is pretty thin, followed by FC, with WW being observably thicker. That is, stuff from the E Alton plant, the MS plant is a bit different. PMC is thickish. The foreign brands vary. The infamous A-MERC (Miami, FL) was thick enough to choke any 9mm but I don't think they are in business anymore.
I've read similar things recently about the older Lugers. My VP9 has the same step in it. I thought I had read where the PPQ also has this step, but from what I can see it's not near as noticeable. I think the aluminum cases really make it stand out.

I think the aluminum cases really make it stand out.
The last few times I've been out to a borrow pit in the woods, I've found some in brass. The constriction at the forward end of the case was quite noticeable. I've sized a few, the narrowing has no deleterious effect.

The last few times I've been out to a borrow pit in the woods, I've found some in brass. The constriction at the forward end of the case was quite noticeable. I've sized a few, the narrowing has no deleterious effect.
I've also found it doesn't appear to cause any issues.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top