JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently purchased 100 brand new Nosler brass cases (300 WM) from MidwayUS. As I started loading them with RX22 powder, I realized that almost half of the cases had dented neck. These cases arrived in the original sealed plastic bag and the bag was in the original hard Nosler case (case was also sealed). There was no any external damage to the original retail case, so I doubt this damage was done in the shipping. It is likely a manufacturing defect. Has anyone lately noticed any issues with Nosler brass? I paid almost $240 (with taxes) for 100 cases, so I would expect to receive spotless brass if I am paying premium price.

Cheers,

Dan

Don't hesitate to contact Nosler. I lived close to the factory for years. Good guys. They'll probably good take care of you. Or.... lube and run through your sizing die. See if they straighten out. Happy re-loading!

Don't hesitate to contact Nosler. I lived close to the factory for years. Good guys. They'll probably good take care of you. Or.... lube and run through your sizing die. See if they straighten out. Happy re-loading!
The brass works well without even resizing. Bullet seating fixes the problem. However, for the amount of money paid for the brass, Nosler should be more careful. This is definitely a QC issue. I sent them a message few minutes ago.

I have never had a problem with Nosler brass in any caliber though there might have been a slight dent in the neck that came out when I seated the bullet but I don't remember. All I was doing for the first loading was to make a pretty good load so that when I shot it I fireformed the cases after that, it was trim and neck size only.

Maybe just me, but I run a mandrel through every piece of brass to straighten out the mouth, even on new brass.

I don't rely on the bullet to straighten it out. I also chamfer the inside of the mouth on new brass as well.

Maybe just me, but I run a mandrel through every piece of brass to straighten out the mouth, even on new brass.

I don't rely on the bullet to straighten it out. I also chamfer the inside of the mouth on new brass as well.
Me too. All new brass is lubed and run through an FL sizing die, then checked for OAL, trimmed if needed, and chamfered. I also clean up flash holes if needed.

Me too. All new brass is lubed and run through an FL sizing die, then checked for OAL, trimmed if needed, and chamfered. I also clean up flash holes if needed.
I too always run new brass through my FL dies and check length. I once got a supply of .30 Carbine (can't remember who's) and just loaded it. It turned out that it was over length just enough that it would hardly chamber in either a carbine or a Ruger pistol. I finally got that batch fired up and then reloaded it, carefully running every case through the Forster case trimmer. I will not take it for granted that new brass meets all specifications and treat it as once fired.

I recently purchased 100 brand new Nosler brass cases (300 WM) from MidwayUS. As I started loading them with RX22 powder, I realized that almost half of the cases had dented neck. These cases arrived in the original sealed plastic bag and the bag was in the original hard Nosler case (case was also sealed). There was no any external damage to the original retail case, so I doubt this damage was done in the shipping. It is likely a manufacturing defect. Has anyone lately noticed any issues with Nosler brass? I paid almost $240 (with taxes) for 100 cases, so I would expect to receive spotless brass if I am paying premium price.

Cheers,

Dan

Last Edited:
Just to be sure, l always run new brass through a sizing die, then length trim then inside and outside chamfer. Recently l got in in 100 Nosler 6.5 creedmore empties, along with 100 from Winchester and another 100 from Sig. The winchester had 12 with wrinkles on the necks. None of them were longer than the minimum trim length after sizing. Nosler had 101 in the bag, and each bag from Sig had 51. Anyway, l won't be buying more Winchester brass, maybe nextime I'll try Starline

Good to learn that I need to resize new brass. I will always do that In the future.
I don't know your experience level, but thought I'd mention there are different ways to use a FL die. Just the other day I prepped 100 new RP 270 cases. First thing was to take 5 or 6 cases and chamber them. Then to my trim mate where I chamfered inside and outside of the neck. Then deburred inside flash hole. Then run thru Forster NS die which does not touch shoulder. Sometimes on new brass I cut/uniform the primers pocket. That batch I didn't. Several years ago a Forster tech stressed importance of chamfering outside of neck on new brass prior to inserting case into die, so I adapted that technique.

Are you just doing a partial size, or are you actually bumping the shoulder on new brass?
Good thing to clarify! I generally don't bump the shoulder on new brass. New brass will flow forward a bit, especially with the chambers on my hunting rifles. Once the new brass is once-fired, I'll often bump the shoulder to make sure it chambers reliably. In a hunting rifle, reliable chambering is more important to me than cutting group sizes.

Here is a picture of the brass before I resized it.

Brass#2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top