JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone know a good gunsmith in the Portland/Salem area that can take my double barrel shotgun and cut it down? I was told by a gunsmith I know that they have to be a class 3 manufacture, which seems to be tough to find. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Just a point here. If you just want a short barrel shotgun without a stock you can buy them new manufacture and only have to pay a $5 transfer tax. If you need a butt stock on your short barrel gun you will have to pay a full $200 tax. Might be better to save your double and buy a new manufacture gun. Just saying...

jj

I have had atleast 3 things threaded there... quality people..

Just Jim

You have no idea what you are talking about

You know it's just funny how few people really know about short shotguns. Just today I went with a class two manufacturer to have his new manufacture short barrel shotguns engraved with new name and logo. He sells them all the time. The law is you may not cut off a barrel from a shotgun if it ever had a shoulder stock unless you pay a $200 tax to register it.

If the shotgun never had a butt stock then when you cut off the barrel you pay a $5 any other weapon tax. If you need further clarification then come to the Albany Gunshow this weekend and check out the new guns he is selling. Hope this helps.

jj

The gunsmith does not need to be an SOT (class iii dealer) to cut the barrel off. If you are form 1-ing a SBS, then anyone, including you, your neighbor, cousin, uncle etc. can cut the barrel off *after the atf has approved your stamp*. You are the 'manufacturer' as listed on the form 1 - but that doesn't mean you have to do all the labor.

Most folks aren't familiar with handling class iii items, and that is their right to be cautious. A gunsmith who is uncomfortable can refuse to work on anything he/she wants.

Re $5 vs $200 -- yes you can register an AOW for $5 if it a.) never had a stock and b.) is never going to have a stock. Personally, I would pay the full $200 either way - just so I would have an option later to add a stock if I wanted.

Most of the laws are convoluted, and few if any make any logical sense. Its worth the extra time to do your homework.

Nate

I know this is confusing as heck so here I go:

Anyone can mfg a SBS or a AOW after getting a Form 1 approved. But if you are not a class 3 mfg, no matter what you mfg, it'll require a $200 stamp. The $5 applies ONLY to an AOW "transfer" on a Form 4 (IIRC). Said another way, you need a class 3 manufacturer to "manufacture" your AOW using a receiver that has never been a shotgun or will never be, then, transfer the AOW to you on a Form 4. That's how you end up paying for a $5 stamp.

You know it's just funny how few people really know about short shotguns. Just today I went with a class two manufacturer to have his new manufacture short barrel shotguns engraved with new name and logo. He sells them all the time. The law is you may not cut off a barrel from a shotgun if it ever had a shoulder stock unless you pay a $200 tax to register it.

If the shotgun never had a butt stock then when you cut off the barrel you pay a $5 any other weapon tax. If you need further clarification then come to the Albany Gunshow this weekend and check out the new guns he is selling. Hope this helps.

jj

Crap I just re-read what you posted.. you where right I was drunk..

but most SOT's won't take your pistol only shotgun and AOW it.. they like to buy it so they know firsthand it was never a stocked shotgun..

as a side note my Serbu SS form 4 was approved last month and I can't wait to go pick it up .. WOOT!

You will love the super shorty. I have one and it is a ton of fun.

You are right about that! I saw them and thought it was a silly expense (not that I judge others - shoot whatever you want...) then my former boss picked one up and let me shoot it at the range. I was very surprised at just how much fun they are.

You are right about that! I saw them and thought it was a silly expense (not that I judge others - shoot whatever you want...) then my former boss picked one up and let me shoot it at the range. I was very surprised at just how much fun they are.

Meh I paid $500 and a $5 tax stamp ( :

I know this is confusing as heck so here I go:

Anyone can mfg a SBS or a AOW after getting a Form 1 approved. But if you are not a class 3 mfg, no matter what you mfg, it'll require a $200 stamp. The $5 applies ONLY to an AOW "transfer" on a Form 4 (IIRC). Said another way, you need a class 3 manufacturer to "manufacture" your AOW using a receiver that has never been a shotgun or will never be, then, transfer the AOW to you on a Form 4. That's how you end up paying for a $5 stamp.

Yes it can be confusing - actually (being really nitpicky here) Technically speaking a III is a firearms dealer who can buy/sell NFA items. An 07/02 is a Manufacturer (07 FFL) with an 02 (or II) SOT that allows them to build/work on NFA items. - Not trying to poke ya with a stick or stir the pot...

Yes it can be confusing - actually (being really nitpicky here) Technically speaking a III is a firearms dealer who can buy/sell NFA items. An 07/02 is a Manufacturer (07 FFL) with an 02 (or II) SOT that allows them to build/work on NFA items. - Not trying to poke ya with a stick or stir the pot...

Yes, you are right. Be a picky as you want. And that's ok. I was lazy and did not want to look/clean up each bubblegumming term. The faux pass does not change the main message.

Dick D&D Sports will have a table this week end at Lebanon Elks Club. $495 + $5 tax New 870 w/ 12" barrel SBS.jpg or 541-258-6811

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top