JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello Everyone,

I've inherited a decent supply of guns. I want to sell a few that do not necessarily have sentimental value. I'm sure many of you will think I'm crazy for saying I have too many, but there is only so much room in a safe. I'm a little intimidated about taking them just anywhere and curious to as how one does it on this forum of classifieds to be a legal sale? My second question is I've never bought a gun in my life. Everything I have is older and passed down. So, lets say I take some of my proceeds and buy one nice firearm and ruin my anonymity. Is that worth selling 5-6 firearms? I don't have a ton of extra time to sell them as singles. Does anybody know if a dealer would give more in a store credit rather than just cash? Sorry, so many questions and if there has already been a thread assigned to this, I'm new and trying to figure this all out. Just point me in the right direction. Thanks for helping out a new guy.

No need to take them to a local dealer. You can do a private sale but legally would need to be transferred through a licensed dealer. Ther are many that do that for a small fee, typically about $30 . You would be better off cash wise to do it that way, but per your question sounds like you want to just get rid of all of them at once. The Dealer will not give you top dollar as they will need to then mark them up to make some profit for themself.

Welcome to the forum.

All sales in Oregon REQUIRE a background check to be performed by law.

Finding an FFL dealer that performs private party transfers, many to choose from, that is close to you, would be a good start. Some are brick and mortar, some are guys out of their garage. Usually the home based FFLs tend to have inexpensive transfer rates. Or in easier terms, the amount of money you or the buyer must pay to process the background check. The background check itself costs $10. FFLs charge anywhere from $10-$30 to perform a background check. You can request the buyer to pay transfer costs, or you can pay them. Someone will have to.

So once you think you have an ideal location to perform the transfer, or a couple places, list the firearms here or other places. Legally speaking, as long as they are legally yours to sell, it doesn't matter where you list them, as long as you sell them correctly through a licensed FFL via a background check. NWFA has a very easy to use classified section. I have used it successfully many many times.

If you want to sell them all at once, you'll likely lose money, or valued money. FFLs DO NOT buy guns at their valued price. They will usually offer about 50% of the actual value. So if you have a Ruger 10/22 that sells used for $200, a dealer would likely offer $100 for it. Maybe more, but definitely not the $200 you could sell it yourself for. Remember, they have to make a profit re-selling it. However, this route might be easier if you don't want to list each item individually and sell each one individually. Dealers can issue store credit for the trade in, so yes to that question.

Another option is to find a dealer that would take in your firearms and sell them for you, known as Consignment. The dealer takes the guns in, pits them on his books, sells them for a price closer to their actual value, or your asking price, but takes a percentage of the sale.

As to anonymity, your first post on a gun forum has likely put you on a list! Welcome! As for having all your inherited firearms off the 4473s radar... Your decision to change that or not. To some it's a big deal, to others, big whoop. I've got enough registered firearms and various things with the federal government, I dont see the big deal.

Do not haste a gun sell. If you can afford to buy the gun you want, good, but now is not really the best time to buy (but, yes to selling). Post your guns to sell the legal way as @Reno stated. The turtle wins the race nice and steady. If you have collectibles/ desireables, post them here and other forums as there are many collectors, or knowledgable "gun addicts" who can tell you what they may go for, or to buy them; Gunbroker (GB) is also another source to search for pricing.

What do you have? What do you want?

Thanks to all of you for your curteous and informative replies! I really want to streamline what I have and I'm not in a hurry, just want to clear space and move on. I don't want to get ripped off, I want it to be legal, but also want some ease it getting rid of them, that's the trick right? There is always a trade off. Looks like I will just need to do a little leg work and take my time. I really wanted to use the money to buy a .45. I've always wanted one. How about a good recommendation when I start looking?

Keep an eye on the classifieds here for comparison so you can get an idea of what you could reasonably sell them for and also how the actual exchange takes place. Also, check places like gunbroker, etc for price comparisons. Good idea to bide your time until you know more about what you've got. You can likely have a great deal of success selling them on this forum alone.

Don't be tempted to take them in to Cabela's and sell in one lump. They are terrible for buying guns. They are in business to make money, that's one way they do it.

Sounds like you don't necessarily want a fancy .45, just a .45. If that is the case, you can buy an original Colt brand 1911 for under a grand. Solid, basic, nothing fancy. You will find cheaper made in the Philippines .45's on the market, my advice pay the extra money and get a Colt. The Colt has the name, will always be more desirable and have better resale value. I have Colts and one Ruger SR1911, the latter has also been a good pistol for me. Ruger is very attentive to warranty issues so if you do get a bad one, they will make it good.

Patience is a virtue in both selling and buying.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top