JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just bought a Keltec PF9 for conceal carry. As I took it apart to familiarize myself with the gun I noticed a barrel defect on the outside and inside of the barrel.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375776309.832486.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375776352.443596.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375776377.825890.jpg

I want to go about sending the gun in for warranty, which leads us to my question.

Do I have to go through an FFL to send and receive my gun for warranty service?

Or

Can I send it from my local FedEx and receive the gun at home?

Also I'd like opinions on whether this defect is a big deal or not and whether I should call them or just send the gun in.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375776309.832486.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375776352.443596.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375776377.825890.jpg

If the defect goes all the way through, DO NOT SHOOT IT unless you don't value your hand. Federal law allows shipping to a manufacturer or gunsmith for repairs without going through an FFL (because ownership is not being transferred). Call the mfg and they'll get you all set up and squared away. They'll usually give you a service number that needs to be included with the gun when you send it in. They'll probably even pay for shipping if it's their bad.

Sent from a phone; typos likely

It's a Keltec pocket pistol, that's defect enough. Take it back to the dealer, get your money back, pony up the extra $100.00-$200.00 and buy a good gun. OR send it in yourself for $70.00+ overnight air shipping. I'm sure they'll replace the barrel and/or slide.

Not just being a Richard, Wifey and I have had a "Keltec Experience"! Good lord, does that company even have quality control???

Good luck.

Mike

Get in touch with Keltec and have them tell you what you need to do. There is misinformation in this thread.

Keltec will take care of you though, they have good customer service. I have had to deal with them one time and it was a pleasure. They sent me new parts for free, even though I screwed it up myself.

If its just the barrel, you may have the option of just sending the top end in for repair. This can go through USPS since it is not a "firearm." It will also speed things up at Kel Tec since there is no serial number to deal with. Be sure to include the serial in your repair request letter and keep a copy for yourself.

If you provide the S/N and good pictures to the Keltec, you might be able to send just the barrel, which requires no FFL or special shipping.

That defect looks dangerous. They should take care of you.

Thanks for all the responses. I forgot that they operate Eastern time and so I contacted them through their site and will call them tomorrow morning regarding the matter.

While you're waiting you could ring up the gun store you purchased it from and see if they can do anything to help. If nothing else they might like to know you got a dud and they may want to inspect the others.

I have dealt with kel-tec before for warranty issues and they have been great. Just call them and tell them--they will most likely send you the parts for free that day. That is what they did for me anyway.

Update!

Keltec emailed me back, they will send a paid postage to ship the defective barrel in exchange for a new barrel.

Exactly what I expected from KT.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top