JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Now if the "customizer" has a certificate from this school, then it's all legit.
gallery_5436_146_34721.jpg

Custom can be seen as good or bad....depending on :
The skill level of the work...
And the use of or need for the work done / parts added , etc...

The two handguns below are "custom".

The revolver is a Colt 2nd generation 1st model Dragoon...the first owner "antiqued" the revolver...he removed much of the original finish and "forced" patina on most of the revolver.
This wasn't so bad*...but the use of the gun butt as a hammer...ugh....also there is a ding near the wedge pin....
With all that said...it is a Colt and the price was right....so its mine now....:D
*Not that I would have done that , if I was the original owner.

The single shot pistol is one that I made from spare parts I had around my shop....
A older donor rifle barrel , a lock that I converted from flint to percussion , a antique hammer....the stock was carved from a chunk of maple....
A handgun that I made to fit my needs and wants....so its custom...to me.

Custom is nice....but only nice if you like or have use of the "custom" in the gun....
Others may not , so no matter how "custom" or the cost of the custom parts and the skill of the work...the gun will be worthless for them.
Andy
View attachment 838340
I have a pistol like that. Made from stuff I had laying around. It has an Anderson lower with a custom engraving of a horse on it, a PSA upper with a custom forend, mostly CMMG fire control group, a Shockwave brace, some sights I had laying around, probably Magpul, and I forget where the BCG and buffer group came from.

:D :rolleyes: :s0140: :s0023:

I have a pistol like that. Made from stuff I had laying around. It has an Anderson lower with a custom engraving of a horse on it, a PSA upper with a custom forend, mostly CMMG fire control group, a Shockwave brace, some sights I had laying around, probably Magpul, and I forget where the BCG and buffer group came from.

Wow...!
Sounds just like mine....only different...:D
Andy

Couldn't you, like, gouge some initials in the fire control group and call it custom too? :s0092:

Ok, let me preface this by saying I'm not trying to piss anyone off, just trying to see if others feel the same. I'm perusing the classifieds and I keep seeing the word "custom". Now, just because you drove down to see Curt or drove out to Cabelas and bought everything including a snowcone machine that you could possibly bolt on with no effort, doesn't make it "custom". Now if you got on the horn called and emailed a Master Smith doing work to a 1911 for you, that is custom. Anyone else see where I'm coming from and agree? Just tired of seeing Custom Glock 19 and all that has been done is night sights and extra magazines.

Jeff
Yep - 'Custom' is probably the most misapplied word to nearly ANYTHING of any value for sale.
Sorry guys but by definition, custom is anything modified from a stock model. :s0092:

So from Wilson to Bubba If it ain't like it was coming out of the box, it's a custom job.

custom is anything modified from a stock model.
Modified yes, and for the right reasons such as create something that functions better, to create a different look such as to emulate a 'nostalgic' appearance, or to follow a current trend or a new idea - but a bunch of 'bolt on' goo gaas does not make something 'custom'

As the old saying goes, 'Chrome don't getcha home' !

more custom than building an AR yourself.
I'm thinking billets, power tools, machinist level skills & accurate measuring devices, to start.
Is your old pickup somehow 'custom' when a mechanic somewhere put in a couple parts that don't leak so much?

If Three-toed Uncle Reginald had a boot maker fabricate special fit boots that don't fit 6 toed Aunt Henrietta, that would be 'custom'. If someone jams a wad of bubblewrap down into the toe box, that isn't 'custom'. etc

I'm thinking billets, power tools, machinist level skills & accurate measuring devices, to start.
Is your old pickup somehow 'custom' when a mechanic somewhere put in a couple parts that don't leak so much?

If Three-toed Uncle Reginald had a boot maker fabricate special fit boots that don't fit 6 toed Aunt Henrietta, that would be 'custom'. If someone jams a wad of bubblewrap down into the toe box, that isn't 'custom'. etc
Dodge used to sell cars with a trim level called "Custom". It didn't look very fancy to me, but whatever. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top