JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Indulge me a moment, and forgive me for somewhat of a thread hijack. I will introduce my avatar, a pistol I built. After I radiused, deburred, and polished it all, then having Turnbull color case harden the frame. I bought a 7 1/2" .357 maximum barrel and had it modified and fit to the 1968 Blackhawk by gallagherfirearms.com , they also did the trigger job. I welded and re-machined the cylinder to tighten up the end shake, as well as cutting the front cyl. chamfer. I fit an over-sized base pin, and refinished the grips. Then Gallagher did the bluing, sent me all the parts and I reassembled it. Can I please call this a "custom gun" ?

DSC03379.JPG

Indulge me a moment, and forgive me for somewhat of a thread hijack. I will introduce my avatar, a pistol I built. After I radiused, deburred, and polished it all, then having Turnbull color case harden the frame. I bought a 7 1/2" .357 maximum barrel and had it modified and fit to the 1968 Blackhawk by gallagherfirearms.com , they also did the trigger job. I welded and re-machined the cylinder to tighten up the end shake, as well as cutting the front cyl. chamfer. I fit an over-sized base pin, and refinished the grips. Then Gallagher did the bluing, sent me all the parts and I reassembled it. Can I please call this a "custom gun" ?

View attachment 838297
Looks fake.

:D Just kidding, it's beautiful. I wish I had the time and skill to do something like that. Do you shoot it?

View attachment 838297
What's the difference between a magnum and maximum barrel?

Yeah, the thing that gets me is "old", "rare", "scarce", etc. when listing something for sale. Yesterday's birdcage and fish wrapper (there is no "news" in it so it is not a "news"paper) is NOT rare, is not old, is not scarce, etc., so stop calling it that!

Back when English was an actual language, before most of you were born I know, words actually had exact meanings and actually meant things. Now anything can mean whatever someone wants it to mean, racist now means bigot, cool means hot, etc. Sure slang has always changed the meaning of words, but look at any politician or evening weather and sports show at 5:30/6 PM and count the lies you are being told, which most people don't understand because they don't know what words mean! Orwell had it right.
Pretty sure that "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the—if he—if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not—that is one thing."

My guns are for shooting and I did shoot it. About 30 rounds as I recall. Then my old employer liked it so much he made me a crazy offer for it and now he owns it. I'm retired now, but I have one more "custom" in the works. A 69C Hi-power. It's about half done. It will be a while before it's complete, but hopefully by the end of the year I'll have it displayed here. Thanks.

The 7 1/2" Maximum barrel was available and a std. Blackhawk barrel was not. Also it was ground down to remove the roll marks. I wanted a smooth "different" look to the barrel. Sorry about jackin' the thread.

Custom can be seen as good or bad....depending on :
The skill level of the work...
And the use of or need for the work done / parts added , etc...

The two handguns below are "custom".

The revolver is a Colt 2nd generation 1st model Dragoon...the first owner "antiqued" the revolver...he removed much of the original finish and "forced" patina on most of the revolver.
This wasn't so bad*...but the use of the gun butt as a hammer...ugh....also there is a ding near the wedge pin....
With all that said...it is a Colt and the price was right....so its mine now....:D
*Not that I would have done that , if I was the original owner.

The single shot pistol is one that I made from spare parts I had around my shop....
A older donor rifle barrel , a lock that I converted from flint to percussion , a antique hammer....the stock was carved from a chunk of maple....
A handgun that I made to fit my needs and wants....so its custom...to me.

Custom is nice....but only nice if you like or have use of the "custom" in the gun....
Others may not , so no matter how "custom" or the cost of the custom parts and the skill of the work...the gun will be worthless for them.
Andy
DSC06041.jpg

Well I'd rather see "custom", "rare", or anything else but "sold" in all the stagnant old ads that don't get properly closed by the sellers when the item has been sold.

And you know what else burns my butt?
...a flame about 3 feet high! :mad:

Has anybody mentioned that "custom" can also mean.....

"Bubba'd up"

Yes....
The revolver is a Colt 2nd generation 1st model Dragoon...the first owner "antiqued" the revolver...he removed much of the original finish and "forced" patina on most of the revolver.
This wasn't so bad*...but the use of the gun butt as a hammer...ugh....

Bubba Custom Gun Works LLC..... :eek: :D
Andy

My 10-22 is extremely rare because I left it bone fing stock as the good jesus intended.

Yeah - the old "rare" or "hard to find" guns.

I have a few firearms that are actually rare - they now sell for about 5-10X what I paid for them decades ago, and somewhere between 500 to 2K were imported into the USA (depending on who you ask) - so yeah, they actually meet that definition to some degree. Not for sale though, ever.

I once owned an AWC G2A - which from what I understand was both custom and even more rare. Each of those was custom made by hand, never really went into production, maybe less than a few hundred made, if that.

So when someone posts that the firearm they are selling is "rare" I just :rolleyes:

If they say it is "hard to find" - ok, maybe.

If it is "custom" - yeah, well, unless as others have said, it was customized by a good smith, then again, :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top