JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ok, let me preface this by saying I'm not trying to piss anyone off, just trying to see if others feel the same. I'm perusing the classifieds and I keep seeing the word "custom". Now, just because you drove down to see Curt or drove out to Cabelas and bought everything including a snowcone machine that you could possibly bolt on with no effort, doesn't make it "custom". Now if you got on the horn called and emailed a Master Smith doing work to a 1911 for you, that is custom. Anyone else see where I'm coming from and agree? Just tired of seeing Custom Glock 19 and all that has been done is night sights and extra magazines.

Jeff

Why would you be tired of being an informed consumer? ;)

What amuses me the most the past couple decades has been HK fans who buy a HK94 or SP89 Zenith or SP5 et al and spend $100-1000+ to accessorize, engrave and announce that they now "...own an MP5/K".

rare, custom , some assembly was required of this 1st hand reply. I am not familiar with the nautical terms :s0077:
youz guyz chuklez mez up!!! heehawheehaw hehehe wooooo! :s0056::s0022::s0105::s0151::s0091::s0069::s0069::s0069::s0098::s0168::s0152::s0160: da guyz in da band thankzcha y'all:s0140: gotta go, the streez lightz iz cominz on & I hearz my mamaz hootz & hollarz! weeeee!!!:cool:
rocz on brosterz!!!

Ok, let me preface this by saying I'm not trying to piss anyone off, just trying to see if others feel the same. I'm perusing the classifieds and I keep seeing the word "custom". Now, just because you drove down to see Curt or drove out to Cabelas and bought everything including a snowcone machine that you could possibly bolt on with no effort, doesn't make it "custom". Now if you got on the horn called and emailed a Master Smith doing work to a 1911 for you, that is custom. Anyone else see where I'm coming from and agree? Just tired of seeing Custom Glock 19 and all that has been done is night sights and extra magazines.

Jeff
OK I will let you try out one of my "custom" pistols and see if it changes your mind any.

polish target revolver.jpg semi auto.jpg

Selling Customized or personalized firearms is like selling customized or personalized shoes. They're made for the original user, sometimes by the original user. Oftentimes these firearms seem to sit in the ads awhile simply because buyers are put off by having to remove and replace stuff they don't want.

Use of the word "customized" doesn't irk me. By now, my mind automatically converts ....I mean customizes
that description to read "altered" "renovated" 'modified'....and in some cases "bastardized"

my favorite is "rare" or "getting harder to find" ...
did they only import a limited number in the country, like under 2000, then it might be rare, most things are "harder to find" if your no looking.

I think it's because they think "custom" = more valuable. But for self-made "customized" guns, they are often the same value or even less than original (I don't mean professional custom guns from established custom shops).

There are exceptions of course, such as well known basic or universally accepted upgrades. The more "customized" it is from original, the more you have to look for a buyer that has the same tastes as your own.
Prime example is stippling and duracoating. Just cause you soak a few hundred into letting someone solder iron your frame or bake some funky powder coat on doesnt make it custom or desirable. Even worse are the home done stippling which ruins a pistols value to me even worse than supposed professional jobs.

Jeff
Yep - 'Custom' is probably the most misapplied word to nearly ANYTHING of any value for sale.

So, "custom" has become the new "tactical".... :rolleyes:

Yeah, the thing that gets me is "old", "rare", "scarce", etc. when listing something for sale. Yesterday's birdcage and fish wrapper (there is no "news" in it so it is not a "news"paper) is NOT rare, is not old, is not scarce, etc., so stop calling it that!

Back when English was an actual language, before most of you were born I know, words actually had exact meanings and actually meant things. Now anything can mean whatever someone wants it to mean, racist now means bigot, cool means hot, etc. Sure slang has always changed the meaning of words, but look at any politician or evening weather and sports show at 5:30/6 PM and count the lies you are being told, which most people don't understand because they don't know what words mean! Orwell had it right.

Last Edited:
Yeah, the thing that gets me is "old", "rare", "scarce", etc. when listing something for sale. Yesterday's birdcage and fish wrapper (there is no "news" in it so it is not a "news"paper) is NOT rare, is not old, is not scarce, etc., so stop calling it that!

Back when English was an actual language, before most of you were born I know, words actually had exact meanings and actually meant things. Now anything can mean whatever someone wants it to mean, racist now means bigot, cool means hot, etc. Sure slang has always changed the meaning of words, but look at any politician or evening weather and sports show at 5:30/6 PM and count the lies you are being told, which most people don't understand because they don't know what words mean! Orwell had it right.
This is why most people drink.

not really

It's just a simple misunderstanding. What I meant to say was that it is my custom to bolt a bunch of bubblegum onto every gun I buy. :D

It's really just advertising, right? George can explain this better than I can. (NSFW)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top